Author Topic: [IC]Espectro - 96 - Prototype in hand come look!  (Read 4927 times)

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys West
Re: [IC]Espectro - 96
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:44:32 »
The entire purpose of the PC bottom is to address the issue of having an unsightly acrylic strip in the middle of the keyboard. It's ugly, and it's not aesthetically pleasing especially when the RGB is off.

The reason for the PC bottom, as stated in the original post - is to address an issue for two types of people. Those who love rgb and those who don't. If you want rgb, it's going to glow very very nicely. If you don't want RGB, turn it off...once you turn it off you don't have any dead plastic detracting from the rest of the aesthetic of the board. With rgb off, you won't even know it has it.

I am not making an acrylic layer to sandwich between two pieces of aluminum on this, and nor will I ever design any future boards to have it either.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys West
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 07 January 2018, 14:46:21 »
I'll be in if you offer a brass "Side B." Plastic is so bargain-basement.
I just wanted to re-iterate bro, the ONLY point of the polycarbonate bottom piece is to elevate the board while diffusing RGB lighting and staying hidden, making the board appear like its floating. Its not done as a bargain piece. Cheers!

BRO you're telling me you cant achieve the SAME objectives without making the ENTIRE BOTTOM plastic??? It's one thing to cater to the mass market but to pretend it was NOT a cost cutting decision??? Either i'm giving you too much design prowess or you're just an idiot.

Just saying, Polycarbonate CNC parts are not cheaper as price than Alu CNC, especially on such a thin part (bottom plate). 
Often is even more expensive than Alu due the fail rate with CNC PC.  So the PC is just a choice, it isn't a "cost cutting" decision, the cost will be the same if not higher with PC. 

The design was clearly made to have RGB at the bottom and imho it would have looked bad with Alu at bottom (even if i like full alu keyboards for the weight).     

Said that, if you don't like it just pass, there are and there will be other 96-keebs for you. But really if you are passing because you think that Polycarbonate is soft (it is not) or because you think it is cheaper (it is not), i would suggest to do just some researchs or get some CNC quotes with the 2 materials.

You are correct. The manufacturing costs for this are 10 dollars more per unit for poly carbonate =) The cost savings comes in the shipping. Having PC will reduce the shipping cost for the customer significantly.

Online monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
    • meganchomskis.com
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 02:27:03 »
I've been waiting for this one!  :thumb: Looks great, and I like the price point. Hopefully my wallet is ready when the GB goes live!  ;D

Offline lac29

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 22:30:19 »
It looks promising. All the 96 designs better come out before input club's because I don't think they will get much traction in the following months.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 14 January 2018, 03:18:24 »
It looks promising. All the 96 designs better come out before input club's because I don't think they will get much traction in the following months.

I don't know... people are already starting to talk about the whitefox and how there unhappy with least one of the choices made by input club. I gotta admit while it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me its tacky looking. Does take away from the overall quality of the board. They had the FCC warning/Logo crap placed on the backs of the cases. This is very very large print. I could see other designs getting a thumbs up special if they use something easy to program.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys West
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 21:31:02 »
Alright guys. The moment everyone has been waiting for. Prototype landed - here it is.

Only thing left to do now is to get confirmation from Cerakote gig here in town the prices they want to charge you all for custom colors!