Author Topic: Reasonably-priced big-legend Carbon keys (plus some questions)  (Read 3974 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Reasonably-priced big-legend Carbon keys (plus some questions)
« on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 22:21:43 »
Dye-Sublimated Keycap Big Carbon 125 Key PBT Cherry Original Height Keycap

I sure like these, and they're cheaper than the usual offerings ($47.38 for oddball legends; $52.89 to include standard legends; free shipping). But why don't they offer a normal Enter key? Why the goofy one with the dots? Was that an actual vintage design?

Also, I thought you couldn't dye-sub a light color on a dark color—so how'd they make those?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Reasonably-priced big-legend Carbon keys (plus some questions)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 22:25:36 »
They could have taken orange keys and all over dyesubbed them in black, minus the legends. It would be interesting to see the bottom of one of those modifier keys.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 04:30:40 »
They could have taken orange keys and all over dyesubbed them in black, minus the legends. It would be interesting to see the bottom of one of those modifier keys.

So dyeing the key and leaving the legend as-is? Wow, never heard of such a thing, but I guess it's possible with the right setup.

One of the seller's photos does show the underside of a dark key:

If your theory was true, would it've been orange underneath?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 07:52:40 »

Yes, and this is exactly what they are doing. It's called reverse dyesubbing.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:18:43 »

If your theory was true, would it've been orange underneath?

Yes, I would have expected it to be orange underneath. Interesting.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 11:12:31 »
I bought this set before. really worth it, the keycaps are good quality and the printing is good too
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 22:52:19 »
Interesting!

I also wonder why the basic (108) set is the one with the graphic keys, and you must buy the bigger set (125) to get standard keys. That's just how they decided to do it, I guess... I've dropped the seller a note anyway, asking if it's possible to get a 108 without the symbols.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 December 2017, 01:20:33 »
I heard back from the vendor, but he was already sold out of the standard keys.

Meanwhile, I've found the same set here on AliExpress. It's actually slightly less, and AE has a buyer-protection policy similar to eBay.

185375-0

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:49:46 »
Just in case you don't think we've sent off enough of our dough to China yet.