Author Topic: [GB] AL1 (Shipping, QMK Codes Open Sourced)  (Read 100223 times)

Offline Taeha Types

• Subscribe to me :D
Re: [GB] AL1 (Shipping, QMK Codes Open Sourced)
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 19:34:32 »
Still no tracking for me :(

Offline fifasarajevo

« Reply #451 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 21:01:54 »
So I still havent figured out how to enable the CAPS, NUM, and SCROLL indicator LEDs above the arrow keys.

To the point where I thought it might be my LEDs that arent working, so I soldered on some that I tested and they wont light up, which leads me to believe either the PCB is faulty regarding the indicator LEDs (not a big deal, but would be nice to know if that was the case, or I need to make changes in QMK.

Im not well versed in QMK so the changes I did try didnt work.

This appears to be where the LEDs are activated in the QMK files provided by TriangleLab, in the AL1.c file specifically. Anyone have an idea of what to change here, if im supposed to change anything at all?

Code: [Select]
void led_set_kb(uint8_t usb_led) {
    CONFIG_LED_IO;
    print_dec(usb_led);
    if (usb_led & (1<<USB_LED_CAPS_LOCK))
        PORTB &= ~(1<<7);
    else
        PORTB |=  (1<<7);

if (usb_led & (1<<USB_LED_NUM_LOCK))
        PORTD &= ~(1<<0);
    else
        PORTD |=  (1<<0);

if (usb_led & (1<<USB_LED_SCROLL_LOCK))
        PORTD &= ~(1<<1);
    else
        PORTD |=  (1<<1);
led_set_user(usb_led);

I believe a couple other people have the same issue as me where the LEDs arent set by default.

Offline xZ3ROx

« Reply #452 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 23:53:01 »
Still waiting on a replacement case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Petch

« Reply #453 on: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:34:57 »
Anyone have a .hex/.json for QMK?

Also I've PM'd you TriangleLab regarding some issues...

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 19:56:01 »
Hello everyone, the AL1 is now in QMK Master and in the QMK Configurator. This is a direct port from the TriangleLabs repo.

Please visit: https://config.qmk.fm/#/al1/LAYOUT

For help using the configurator, please follow my instructions at https://github.com/mechmerlin/qmk_setup/blob/master/qmk_configurator.md

Offline immaterium

« Reply #455 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:07:24 »
Hi Merlin. Thanks so much for putting this into QMK Configurator!

I get the following error when compiling. I checked the layers and there aren't any random keys present. Keymap attached.

Code: [Select]
Compiling: lib/lufa/LUFA/Drivers/USB/Core/USBTask.c                                                 
Linking: .build/al1_al1_layout_split_bs_mine.elf                                                    
 |
 | .build/obj_al1_al1_layout_split_bs_mine/keyboards/al1/al1.o: In function `matrix_init_kb':
 | /qmk_compiler_worker/qmk_firmware/keyboards/al1/al1.c:19: undefined reference to `matrix_init_user'
 | .build/obj_al1_al1_layout_split_bs_mine/keyboards/al1/al1.o: In function `matrix_scan_kb':
 | /qmk_compiler_worker/qmk_firmware/keyboards/al1/al1.c:23: undefined reference to `matrix_scan_user'
 | collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
 |
tmk_core/rules.mk:284: recipe for target '.build/al1_al1_layout_split_bs_mine.elf' failed
makeine.elf] Error 1
Makefile:534: recipe for target 'al1:al1_layout_split_bs_mine' failed
make: *** ine] Error 1
ake finished with errors

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #456 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 10:32:17 »
Thanks for the heads up guys. Apparently while the TriangleLab code works via console, it doesn't quite work when done through the configurator. Things are fixed up now. Thanks for your patience.

https://config.qmk.fm/#/al1/LAYOUT

Offline immaterium

« Reply #457 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 05:37:24 »
It compiles! Thanks for fixing it. Now to finish the build :D

Offline Petch

« Reply #458 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 05:39:15 »
How can we reflash the default firmware (since there's no RESET key), bridge some pins?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #459 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 12:09:51 »
How can we reflash the default firmware (since there's no RESET key), bridge some pins?

Yeah unfortunately the default firmware did not include a reset key and there is no physical hardware reset key either. You'll do exactly as you described.

Offline TriangleLab

« Reply #460 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 07:56:04 »

Hi Petch, you can bridge the two pins between G and H keys. There's a slot on the plate at that place so you can reset the PCB without opening the case. Just remove the keycaps of G and H, then bridge the two pins with tweezers.

Offline floristfran

• I Wanted a foam bath and i got a slimy eel bath
« Reply #461 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 16:35:28 »
so im building my board and it works perfectly other than the fact that the arrows and 1,2,3,0,. and enter. on the numpad  are moved over by 1 (so left is down is . right is left, 1 is 2, 2 is 3 etc, any idea what the problem is? i was having issues where w, s, and x would press every key on that row, but i fixed that by resoldering the x so the solder didnt touch the led pad, but nothing seems to be making contact with it so idk. thinking it might have something to do with the split shift? bc that doesnt seem to do anything at all.
if anyone could help that would be great

Offline Petch

« Reply #462 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 16:36:28 »
so im building my board and it works perfectly other than the fact that the arrows and 1,2,3,0,. and enter. on the numpad  are moved over by 1 (so left is down is . right is left, 1 is 2, 2 is 3 etc, any idea what the problem is? i was having issues where w, s, and x would press every key on that row, but i fixed that by resoldering the x so the solder didnt touch the led pad, but nothing seems to be making contact with it so idk. thinking it might have something to do with the split shift? bc that doesnt seem to do anything at all.
if anyone could help that would be great

I'm having issues with the nav cluster and numpad also

Will do a pull request if I manage to fix it but I'm new to QMK  so

Offline prozach

« Reply #463 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 10:45:00 »
Anyone else have a warped case?

My case is warped from left to right so that the lower left corner and upper right corner are lower than the upperleft and lower right.

It causes the case to rock. 

Top and bottom are warped in the same direction.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #464 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 22:16:18 »

My case is warped from left to right so that the lower left corner and upper right corner are lower than the upperleft and lower right.

might be your desk but that's weird
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xZ3ROx

« Reply #465 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 23:05:03 »

Mime also rocks. Sent a message to trianglelab and never received no reply and time has passed to complain to PayPal.

Offline prozach

« Reply #466 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 13:48:23 »

might be your desk but that's weird

The rock in the case exists across the same axis regardless of orientation on my desk.

ie, the keyboard rocks in the same direction relative to the case itself whether it is placed parallel or perpendicular to the edge of my desk or whether it is on its base or on its face.

Its most certainly the keyboard case itself and not my desk.

Offline immaterium

« Reply #467 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 11:35:04 »
I built the keyboard but it's nonfunctional. Key presses are triggering other keys.

When 3 is pressed, 123456 is output.
When 5 is pressed, 123456 is output.
When 0 is pressed, 123456 is output.
When e is pressed, qwerty is output.
When t is pressed, qwerty is output.

I notice that these are following the same tracks down to the chip. There are other keys that output incorrect combinations and I can list them all if that would help. I can't see any damage to the tracks. I've tried re-flashing the board.

I can live with some cosmetic errors with the board, but it's unusable right now. Looking for any help here.

Offline fifasarajevo

« Reply #468 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 11:46:36 »
I built the keyboard but it's nonfunctional. Key presses are triggering other keys.

I notice that these are following the same tracks down to the chip. There are other keys that output incorrect combinations and I can list them all if that would help. I can't see any damage to the tracks. I've tried re-flashing the board.

I can live with some cosmetic errors with the board, but it's unusable right now. Looking for any help here.
Same thing that a few of us had it seems. You may want to PM TriangleLab about this.

Offline immaterium

« Reply #469 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 16:15:53 »
Thanks! I've PMed Triangle and hope to hear back soon :)

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #470 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 23:01:12 »

I've got that same issue.
I've pm'd triangle aswell, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline immaterium

« Reply #471 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 05:47:54 »
Triangle got back to me yesterday. He explained to me this is all due to solder bridging switch and LED pads. I've made progress and got a good 80% of the board working. Still one corner giving me trouble, but it looks promising.

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #472 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 20:43:37 »
Triangle got back to me yesterday. He explained to me this is all due to solder bridging switch and LED pads. I've made progress and got a good 80% of the board working. Still one corner giving me trouble, but it looks promising.

The issue with my pcb appears to be more of a fault with the pcb, rather than the soldering.
I have desoldered and resoldered particular switches with no luck. Some of the keypresses appear as "12345", while others appear as multiple keypresses at once, e.g "ESC, TAB, CTRL, ENTER".

Some keypresses occur on the downstroke, and others on the upstroke.

Also testing the pcb on particular switch points and tweezers displays multiple keypresses.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 August 2018, 01:04:37 by speaktobrett »

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #473 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 01:03:34 »
Has anyone been able to get a response from TriangleLab??

Offline odd

« Reply #474 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 08:32:09 »
Has anyone been able to get a response from TriangleLab??

I have 3 PCB's and all of mine did what you are describing. Here is what fixed my issues all from Triangle's info. You need to make sure there are no bridges from the LED holes to anything else. Since the board is super tight there are bridges where the LED holes are touching other holes. I had never see this happen with any other PCB before and I did not believe it at first because I had PCB's I never touch exhibit this behavior. I went over 1 board with solder wire and cleaned all the bridges I saw and sure enough the PCB worked as it should have. I fixed the other 2 PCB's I had and all of them worked after that. Strange I know but that is what worked for me and like i said all my boards now work perfect.

I hope this info might help you and others out. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do m,y best to help you out.

Offline forumusername

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:05:00 »
This is really strange... I needed to reflash my al1 and now that I have the FN keys also press one.  I had 0 issues for months with this pcb it seems to be software related rather than hardware any ideas?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #476 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:18:46 »
This is really strange... I needed to reflash my al1 and now that I have the FN keys also press one.  I had 0 issues for months with this pcb it seems to be software related rather than hardware any ideas?

Could you elaborate more on your problem. What do you mean by "have the FN keys also press one"?

Offline forumusername

« Reply #477 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:22:09 »

Could you elaborate more on your problem. What do you mean by "have the FN keys also press one"?

When I press the FN key (either the one by right shift or where right alt would be FN works (I tested with FN reset only so far) but it also outputs 1.  I originally though that I programmed wrong and changed the FN1 to FN2 and then it outputs a two as well.... I am a little out of my element with this I hope this is more useful

edit: thanks for the help mechmerlin...

In short he provided a hex for me to flash that is working perfectly.  When I try to compile myself from the onilne configurator or via qmk repo It results in the sofware not working.  TriangleLab's qmk is very outdated to the point that you cannot even flash it with proper qmk.

I wonder if the issues that people have been having that were thought to be hardeware problems may be firmware problems.

Thanks again mechmerlin
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2018, 22:25:18 by forumusername »

Offline prozach

« Reply #478 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 14:23:03 »
anyone having backlight control issues?

I have confirmed that my board is working as I expect, I tweaked my layout to make it work the way I want but the backlight commands don't seem to be working properly.

Rolled back to the stock FW and they still don't work.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 August 2018, 00:09:07 by prozach »

Offline fifasarajevo

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 14:36:12 »
You able to provide that hex by chance?

When I press the FN key (either the one by right shift or where right alt would be FN works (I tested with FN reset only so far) but it also outputs 1.  I originally though that I programmed wrong and changed the FN1 to FN2 and then it outputs a two as well.... I am a little out of my element with this I hope this is more useful

In short he provided a hex for me to flash that is working perfectly.  When I try to compile myself from the onilne configurator or via qmk repo It results in the sofware not working.  TriangleLab's qmk is very outdated to the point that you cannot even flash it with proper qmk.

I wonder if the issues that people have been having that were thought to be hardeware problems may be firmware problems.

Thanks again mechmerlin

Offline forumusername

« Reply #480 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 19:50:09 »

Thanks again mechmerlin

Here is the hex
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/479461029592563712/479467967592005642/al1_default.hex

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #481 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 00:59:37 »

Can you give the configurator another try? It should be working now.

Thanks again mechmerlin

Here is the hex
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/479461029592563712/479467967592005642/al1_default.hex

Offline forumusername

« Reply #482 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 20:25:34 »

Can you give the configurator another try? It should be working now.

Thanks again mechmerlin

Here is the hex

Hey mechmerlin looks like the hex I made from the configurator is working properly cheers m8

Offline immaterium

« Reply #483 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 19:44:05 »
Got mine working finally! Thanks so much for updating the configurator, mechmerlin. :D

One question for those who added LEDs to their builds... do your LEDs remain on when the computer is powered off? Mine do and I haven't seen this behavior before.

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #484 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 06:28:28 »
To be honest, i am disappointed with how trianglelab has handled this.

If it is just his qmk file that is the issue, after telling so many people that their soldering is the problem.. then that is poor form.

Offline TriangleLab

« Reply #485 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 07:06:34 »
To be honest, i am disappointed with how trianglelab has handled this.

If it is just his qmk file that is the issue, after telling so many people that their soldering is the problem.. then that is poor form.

wait, what do you mean by "qmk file that is the issue"? I'm still pretty sure the most problems were caused by the soldering. Actually, I don't know a single case the problem was from the QMK files. The QMK files were all open sourced. Can you spot where the problems come from?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #486 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 16:11:05 »
So that people aren't too confused I'll put up my findings from my point of view.

The following is a commentary on qmk_firmware's version of the TriangleLabs AL1 firmware and not a commentary on the original source contained in their Repo.

The TriangleLabs AL1 firmware was ported as-is to qmk_firmware on GitHub. Minimal work was done to get it to compile and to have it supported by the QMK Configurator. The work can be seen on Pull Request 3330, 3339, and 3357.

This however was incorrect as it led to some issues. TriangleLabs was using the old way of doing function layers instead of calling the MO function. This led to some issues reported by individuals in which pressing the function key did not work as intended. This was experienced mostly by those who built hexes using the command line while using the default keymap, or creating their own by modifying the default keymap.

This was fixed by me in Pull Request 3675

Unfortunately one problem remained and was strictly associated with people who exclusively used the QMK Configurator to create their hex files. The arrows and part of the numpad were in the wrong spaces. This issue can be attributed to me as I was unable to check my work.

This issue was fixed by noroadsleft in Pull Request 3716.

The other issues reported by people in this thread are not related to QMK.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #487 on: Fri, 31 August 2018, 19:12:10 »
So that people aren't too confused I'll put up my findings from my point of view.

The following is a commentary on qmk_firmware's version of the TriangleLabs AL1 firmware and not a commentary on the original source contained in their Repo.

The TriangleLabs AL1 firmware was ported as-is to qmk_firmware on GitHub. Minimal work was done to get it to compile and to have it supported by the QMK Configurator. The work can be seen on Pull Request 3330, 3339, and 3357.

This however was incorrect as it led to some issues. TriangleLabs was using the old way of doing function layers instead of calling the MO function. This led to some issues reported by individuals in which pressing the function key did not work as intended. This was experienced mostly by those who built hexes using the command line while using the default keymap, or creating their own by modifying the default keymap.

This was fixed by me in Pull Request 3675

Unfortunately one problem remained and was strictly associated with people who exclusively used the QMK Configurator to create their hex files. The arrows and part of the numpad were in the wrong spaces. This issue can be attributed to me as I was unable to check my work.

This issue was fixed by noroadsleft in Pull Request 3716.

The other issues reported by people in this thread are not related to QMK.

Awesome explanation of what happened. Thanks for your due diligence, Merlin!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #488 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 10:20:29 »
@TriangleLab

Hey are you guys also known as Fox Labs or are affiliated in some way?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #489 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:05:37 »
@TriangleLab

Hey are you guys also known as Fox Labs or are affiliated in some way?

No, they're not. Fox Labs is run by senter.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #490 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 23:58:09 »
Not that it matters to most people at this point, but my AL1 was working fine and all of a sudden died.

Literally was plugged into my computer and all of a sudden disconnected and now I can't get my computer to detect it. I think the PCB must have died.

RIP $450 board. Got to use it for less than 1 year...

This has been by far the most disappointing GB I've ever been a part of.

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #491 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 00:07:26 »
Not that it matters to most people at this point, but my AL1 was working fine and all of a sudden died.

Literally was plugged into my computer and all of a sudden disconnected and now I can't get my computer to detect it. I think the PCB must have died.

I believe the firmware is open source so it could be repaired. But I agree. My replacement case top was made from a different factory than the bottom piece, so the difference between the two finishes is stark.  Not a good experience with this one.

Offline Insane_Dawe

« Reply #492 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:39:31 »

Check in device manager if you can see the AL1. I checked in windows under devices and could still see it but the keyboard wasn't responding.I re-flashed the QMK firmware and it works again.

Anyone run into a backlight issue where they cannot toggle it off? I had no problem with the original firmware on my keyboard but after building it using the QMK repo, the blacklight toggle button enables or disables breathing instead of disabling backlight.

Currently digging through the QMK code to find the "LED" configuration but it's gonna take me a minute.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #493 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 16:00:34 »
I just checked and I don't see anything under device manager.

No lights turn on or anything when I plug in the board.

I'm guessing that that QC on the PCB is shoddy and it may have somehow shorted out.

Offline Insane_Dawe

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 07:29:22 »
It should show up as a HID Keyboard Device in the device manager, an easier way to check is Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers.

PCBs usually don't fail after a year, they will either fail initially (<3 Days) or after 10+ years. Since it happened in November, I'm guessing it was ESD (Static Electricity and a couple other things). When I last glanced at the board, I don't remember seeing supplementary ESD protection.

Good news is that this board is open source, you can always send out this board to a cheap PCB supplier and get another one. PCBWAY is my go to but people also use OSHPark and others.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #495 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:43:23 »
@Insane_Dawe

what do you mean it disables breathing? Like the lights turn off? Or the lights stay on and are a solid color?

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #496 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 15:38:29 »
It should show up as a HID Keyboard Device in the device manager, an easier way to check is Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers.

PCBs usually don't fail after a year, they will either fail initially (<3 Days) or after 10+ years. Since it happened in November, I'm guessing it was ESD (Static Electricity and a couple other things). When I last glanced at the board, I don't remember seeing supplementary ESD protection.

Good news is that this board is open source, you can always send out this board to a cheap PCB supplier and get another one. PCBWAY is my go to but people also use OSHPark and others.

I fixed it!

I reflashed the board and it worked again. Thanks for all your help!

Offline Insane_Dawe

« Reply #497 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 07:58:48 »
@Insane_Dawe

what do you mean it disables breathing? Like the lights turn off? Or the lights stay on and are a solid color?

As the code currently compiles, lights are always on, regardless of what the back light setting is set to. I tried the other back light modes and all I could trigger is breathing or always on. My guess is that the pin isn't configured correctly. The board uses a PMOS with a external pull-up, so the pin should be configured either low for on or hi-z for off.

I've been sidetracked with another project, so I haven't had time to dig through the code to see how the pins are configured.

I fixed it!

:thumb: I'm glad it was that easy.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #498 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 19:59:05 »
@Insane_Dawe

As the code currently compiles, lights are always on, regardless of what the back light setting is set to. I tried the other back light modes and all I could trigger is breathing or always on. My guess is that the pin isn't configured correctly. The board uses a PMOS with a external pull-up, so the pin should be configured either low for on or hi-z for off.

I've been sidetracked with another project, so I haven't had time to dig through the code to see how the pins are configured.

I fixed it!

:thumb: I'm glad it was that easy.

Ahh ok, I get it now. The only animation currently set is the breathing animation and on/off. There's nothing "broken", it's just that the other animations have been turned off. I can turn them on later.

EDIT: I guess breathing and on/off are currently the only available options: https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/features/feature_backlight
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 February 2019, 23:09:52 by merlin64 »

Offline Insane_Dawe

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 01 March 2019, 15:15:18 »

Ahh ok, I get it now. The only animation currently set is the breathing animation and on/off. There's nothing "broken", it's just that the other animations have been turned off. I can turn them on later.

EDIT: I guess breathing and on/off are currently the only available options: https://beta.docs.qmk.fm/features/feature_backlight

The issue I'm running into is that there is no "off". I can switch through the modes and enable On & Breathing but I can't get my LEDs to "Off" mode.

My first guess is that it's software since I was able to turn the LEDs off before the software got wiped from my keyboard but it could be damaged hardware.