Author Topic: gh60 PCB with ps/2 connectivity?  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Friard

gh60 PCB with ps/2 connectivity?
« on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 05:57:09 »
Is there a way to flash some sort of driver onto the gh60 pcb or manually solder wiring so that I am I able to connect via the ps/2 port on my desktop? First post on here any help appreciated.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: gh60 PCB with ps/2 connectivity?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 06:09:52 »
Is there a way to flash some sort of driver onto the gh60 pcb or manually solder wiring so that I am I able to connect via the ps/2 port on my desktop? First post on here any help appreciated.

You should be able to just use a PS/2 connector with a mini usb. 

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 January 2018, 06:26:31 by ghostjuggernaut »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 06:20:55 »
The GH60 has the AVR ATmega32u4 8-bit microcontroller. There is a keyboard firmware called ps2avr for that microcontroller series that contains code for speaking PS/2. You could perhaps modify that to fit the GH60's matrix -- and then load it to the keyboard over USB.
The ATmega32u4 does however not have hardware support for using the same pins for PS/2 and USB. The GH60 should have a header that were intended for an optional numpad - and there might be pins there that you could use.

Anyway... That PS/2 would be faster than USB or that USB would not support full NKRO are myths. There are quirks in how many operating systems handle USB for sure, but the keyboard enthusiast community have found ways around them. TMK and Kiibohd (and I think also QMK) firmwares should work fine and support full NKRO on Windows, Linux  and MacOS. So I personally don't see any reason to make a GH60 talk PS/2 other than as a fun project.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 06:28:15 »
The GH60 has the AVR ATmega32u4 8-bit microcontroller. There is a keyboard firmware called ps2avr for that microcontroller series that contains code for speaking PS/2. You could perhaps modify that to fit the GH60's matrix -- and then load it to the keyboard over USB.
The ATmega32u4 does however not have hardware support for using the same pins for PS/2 and USB. The GH60 should have a header that were intended for an optional numpad - and there might be pins there that you could use.

Anyway... That PS/2 would be faster than USB or that USB would not support full NKRO are myths. There are quirks in how many operating systems handle USB for sure, but the keyboard enthusiast community have found ways around them. TMK and Kiibohd (and I think also QMK) firmwares should work fine and support full NKRO on Windows, Linux  and MacOS. So I personally don't see any reason to make a GH60 talk PS/2 other than as a fun project.

So does PS/2 and USB speak different protocols?  Ive used USB-->PS/2 in the past without ever having a concern for additional programming.  Its possible I have lucked out and had controllers that worked for both, but it has never been a concern of mine to check since I never had an issue.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 09:34:46 »
Yes, PS/2 and USB are two completely different protocols. Some keyboards that support both USB and PS/2 are auto-sensing on the same cable, allowing you to use a very simple adapter -- instead of using two different cables or a thick Y-cable.

Offline Friard

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 15:32:36 »

Not fussed about nkro but I do like shaving as much load off my cpu as possible and it feels more responsive to me, and is also a bit of a fun project. I have no idea how to code so definitely can't modify ps2avr maybe I'll try flash it as is and try my luck. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Offline Bjack795

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:46:25 »
Hi all!
I have exactly the same problem, have you found some solution to connect gh60 pcb via ps/2 ?

(do you know other similar pcb with a ps/2 port  and protocol embedded?)