geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Embody chair owners I have a question for you

(1/5) > >>

typo:
My Three chairs have gotten all loose and squeaky. I can feel a lot of play in the joints they did not originally have. newest is only 8 months. Granted I am way beyond the size limit for these but I love them. I was wondering if other people had the same issue or if it is my size doing this? I do not mind to think of them as "disposable". I like them so much I will just keep replacing them if it is my fault. Otherwise HM will fix/replace them. In fact they come here I doubt they even care my size. They are a very good company. I was just wondering if averaged size people experienced this making it the chair and not me. I am a real life giant. Not by any means an exaggeration. I spoke of my size elsewhere here but I am not fat. So I am not sure If it is me wrecking the chairs or the chairs themselves. sure, I could go with a Bodybilt Bariatric chair but it is a pos compared to this. I do get great comfort form this even 20x too big. That says a heck of a lot about it I think. I love Hm. The Distil and Envelop have also proven awesome. I got the powered Envelop through commercial. It was a lot but with me adjusting the pins 10 times a day would suck. TBH I mostly do not stand because well you know, gravity lol. Still I am solid as a rock. Stnading is not incredibly comfortable nonetheless. We have the Renew and such but I do not use them much. The Envelop just needs to be adjusted up when I pull it forward due to my size.

Anyways, I was just wondering if people of average size had it loosen up and creak like mad. Thanks

Sneaky Potato:
The Embody is the most comfortable chair I've used, hands down. I've had one for quite a while and I haven't experienced any creakiness or squeak, and my ass doesn't hurt after several hours of sitting. I tried several Steelseries chairs against it, and the Embody won in terms of long-term sitting comfort.

I'm guessing that if you are over the weight limit, that is most likely contributing to the chair falling apart at such a quick rate. Have you looked into a Herman Milller Aeron? They make them in three sizes, so the biggest size might be more suitable for your body type/weight. They are quite durable chairs, and actually pretty comfortable. I had one for about three years before moving to the Embody.

typo:
Oh, I had the Aeron size "C" for years and yes it is larger. The Embody is much better for me but I throw away a $1,500 chair about every 2-3 years now. It is okay with me for the comfort. Like you my butt does not hurt or my back. First I am older so those are issues. Second I am not like over the weight and size limit but way over. 7' 3" 400+#. I am a bodybuilder so it is not fat. My BMI is actually about right. I just wanted to confirm this. My size is destroying the chairs but it is worth it. Even a BodyBilt for a 600# person is not nearly as comfortable. I never asked HM to warranty one because I am not a jerk. I just put them in the trash. Luckily completely Biodegradable. It is a testament that the chair is comfy even for someone that is like 50% too big for it. It is no wonder they do not last though. For an average person with no pets it should last their lifetime I imagine. The funny thing is 145# is an average male at 5'10". So I am a real giant! I am very gentle though. Often handle newborn animals. Plus my kids through Great grand kids.  Sitting I cannot help but I do not sit on anyone lol. I am a good customer. The motor jammed in an older sit/stand from HM and I paid to have it fixed. I know they would have had fixed it too. My Eames have held up fine but different kind of chairs. Well I just wanted to confirm this. Thank you

suicidal_orange:
I've never seen one of these chairs to know if it could work but as a repeat customer is it worth asking if they can advise what needs strengthening to take more weight?  Getting a custom modded chair that lasts will probably work out cheaper in the long run.

Also I was surprised to hear your BMI is reasonable - I went to uni with a solid guy who played rugby, he was about 6' 3" and came out as obese with hardly any fat on him.  Maybe the system isn't completely broken...

typo:
I doubt HM will be party to that but where I buy them might. Ideal BMI for 7'3" is 340# but I am pretty muscular and they do not really account for that. It is stupid because muscle weighs more than fat per volume. I guess looking at BMI is really for heavy folks, I mean not muscle. I used to be concerned with it until I realized it is skewed to the Potato chip crowd lol. Anyways it is not the back that fails but the bottom plate where the seat goes on the cylinder. It could also be that I have to use a non HM 27" cylinder breaking it. It fits fine so I do not see why but maybe. What gets creaky is the tilt interestingly the same part! Falling out of a chair at my age sucks honestly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version