Author Topic: Best (Wireless?) Headset for Vidya Games  (Read 14094 times)

Offline Kavik

Best (Wireless?) Headset for Vidya Games
« on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:14:10 »
I have a hand-me-down headset from a friend. The mic is ok, but the earphones aren't very good; thus, I wear a decent set of headphones on my ears and just wrap the headset around my neck for the mic. It's a rather annoying setup, and I'm tired of the mess of wires.

What is a wireless headset that has both a good microphone and good earphones (in terms of sound quality, not necessarily comfort)? One issue I've had with other headsets is that my friends get feedback from their own voices or my game's audio from the earphones (sometimes even if the mic is muted oddly) at volumes that shouldn't cause it; this doesn't happen with my current janky setup though. My friends with wireless headsets sometimes complain that they cut out or desync with the computer at random.

For what it's worth I play a lot of Rainbow Six: Siege, which requires sound whoring, so loud and clear directional audio is really important to me (although I don't think R6 actually supports surround sound). Listening to music isn't very important to me for this headset.

Corsair seems to have the highest rated headsets on Amazon.com, but I have a slight mistrust of Corsair since gamers seems to like everything that company makes automatically. All I've ever owned from Corsair is a crappy hand-me-down K60 keyboard and a PSU that went bad within a couple days of installation. The replacement has worked well though *shrug*.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Best (Wireless?) Headset for Vidya Games
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 02:54:26 »
I would never go wireless if I wanted a reliable connection, not to mention the frustration of the battery dying mid-game!  On wire is not that annoying...

Instinctively I was going to suggest a real pilot headset from Sennheiser, but they were discontinued in 2016.  They still do some for air traffic control and broadcasting which might be worth a look.

Gaming companies will try to convince you of gimmicks but a quality speaker and mic is a quality speaker and mic, regardless of who it's aimed at.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 03:57:15 »
Instinctively I was going to suggest a real pilot headset from Sennheiser, but they were discontinued in 2016.  They still do some for air traffic control and broadcasting which might be worth a look.

Gaming companies will try to convince you of gimmicks but a quality speaker and mic is a quality speaker and mic, regardless of who it's aimed at.

Have you heard air traffic control recordings? :p

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:11:16 »
No :))

There was definitely a pilot set that was rated for gaming on head-fi (headphone forum) though, but as it's discontinued I didn't look for it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 00:09:08 »
I wouldnt recommend a wireless set of cans for the reasons, but if you must what I think is best would be one of these. OTG i use the hd440s because of the mic and can vouch for them. Cheap, good value, and Ive dropped them a bunch and they've survived. would recommend.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 09:44:13 »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I did start it  ;)

The hand-me-down headset I was using finally stopped playing audio through both earphones, so I just bit the bullet and got a new headset. Because of working from home, I didn't want to screw around with wrapping the set around my neck to use the mic while using separate headphones, which had always been my backup when I needed good output audio.

Anywho, I took the recommendations here under advisement and got a wired set. I compromised on the specific model and got the Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X since they are quite a bit cheaper than the PC373D and are basically a cheaper Game One. They are comfortable, and I like the look. They sound fairly neutral, which I suppose is a good thing, but it does mean they didn't immediately blow my socks off. 

Time will tell. I've only played a few matches of R6: Siege and some Sonic Mania to test them.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 11:00:44 »
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-wireless-gsp-670

https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius

I know people with these, and they swear by them for voice and audio quality. These are audio companies, rather than gaming companies. I would never touch audio gear made by a gaming company (or more likely, commissioned by a gaming company from an OEM).

Personally, I prefer wired for longer term durability- Sennheiser HD650s and an Antlion Modmic.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 19:23:28 »
https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-wireless-gsp-670

https://www.audeze.com/products/mobius

I know people with these, and they swear by them for voice and audio quality. These are audio companies, rather than gaming companies. I would never touch audio gear made by a gaming company (or more likely, commissioned by a gaming company from an OEM).

Personally, I prefer wired for longer term durability- Sennheiser HD650s and an Antlion Modmic.

Those look really nice, but I guess I didn't know how much "the best" costs. I can't imagine spending more than $250 on headphones (even that's really pushing it for me), wireless or not. I'm not an audiophile, so comfort and reliability probably matter to me more as long as the sound is loud enough and passable.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 07:37:29 »
Corsair Void Pro

Offline Crabby

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 04:52:15 »
Get something like the Samson 850 pros (like 40 dollars) and a mod mic attatchment. Will blow any similarly priced "gaming" headset out of the water and has room for improvement with external DACs. I think wireless for a homesetup when it comes to headphones is just not a great compromise. Bluetooth has unavoidable latency and other wireless solutions aren't exactly ideal either.

Edit: realized how gravedug this was. Anyways still good advice for anyone looking I think.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2020, 04:54:57 by Crabby »

Offline trace.

• 「ひとりぼっち」「empty4ever」
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:19:58 »
Get something like the Samson 850 pros (like 40 dollars) and a mod mic attatchment. Will blow any similarly priced "gaming" headset out of the water and has room for improvement with external DACs. I think wireless for a homesetup when it comes to headphones is just not a great compromise. Bluetooth has unavoidable latency and other wireless solutions aren't exactly ideal either.

Epic necroposting, from people who replied before you as well. Anyway, wireless big sucky wucky for gaming, and headsets tend to have really bad mics. Like Crabby said, "gaming" headsets are not a good choice for anyone who cares at all about sound quality or imaging (both kinda important for gaming!).