Author Topic: Is this good as DIY kit?  (Read 3607 times)

Offline vastcode

Is this good as DIY kit?
« on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:30:16 »
I've been learning soldering and waiting for 87 tkl kit on aliexpress lately. However, I've found this today:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-Element-Eagle-Z-77-Multicolor-LED-Light-Display-TKL-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-with-Blue-Switches/32816271092.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.22.7c6b39d9xK6AkC&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10340_10341_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_10303_10302_5711211_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_10627_10626_10624_10623_10622_5722411_10621_10620_5711311,searchweb201603_2,ppcSwitch_4&algo_expid=0dba79f2-e5a6-4493-92bd-baa52eaf157b-6&algo_pvid=0dba79f2-e5a6-4493-92bd-baa52eaf157b&priceBeautifyAB=0

The same keyboard can be found on amazon too (with over 300 buyer feedback). Everyone seems to be satisfied with this product.

Anyway, back to the point.
The real question: is this keyboard good for swapping switches and using different keycaps. Also, would it perform worse than keyboards with soldered switches (this one keyboard I've put have hot plug able switch slots, doesn't require soldering)?

I'd be using gateron browns and some SA type keycaps.

Offline BobCarltheThird

Re: Is this good as DIY kit?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 17:39:09 »
Hot swap sockets in general aren't as durable as hard soldered components but it also gives you a platform to try new switches out before you commit to building your TKL. I'd say for the price it's worth it, if it breaks then at least you didn't spend too much on it.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 18:29:38 »
This is basically a fancy Keycool keyboard, it's good for what it is and what you pay for it. So I have no doubt they owners are happy.

So long as a keyboard functions it has fulfilled it's basic purpose, everything else is just extra.
Is it going to feel the same as as a $300 DIY custom kit with aluminum frame? Absolutely not, but is that feel worth $300? That depends on your wallet and how much you value DIY.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline vastcode

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 00:46:07 »
Is it going to feel the same as as a $300 DIY custom kit with aluminum frame? Absolutely not, but is that feel worth $300? That depends on your wallet and how much you value DIY.

Is there any functionality difference between cheap and expensive DIY kit? Would like to know as I'm just a beginner here >.>
I already have spent $80 on keycaps + switches, wouldn't want to go too cheap on on other parts, though it doesn't matter if shell is plastic or aluminium.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 00:56:32 »

Is there any functionality difference between cheap and expensive DIY kit? Would like to know as I'm just a beginner here >.>
I already have spent $80 on keycaps + switches, wouldn't want to go too cheap on on other parts, though it doesn't matter if shell is plastic or aluminium.
Generally the 300+ kits are limited run group buys that employ luxuries like brass plates and weights, weird layouts, and strong quality control.

Do you have a link to the TKL kit you ordered?

Offline vastcode

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 01:09:22 »

Do you have a link to the TKL kit you ordered?
I haven't ordered TKL kit yet (or at least tried to order) because there are none on aliexpress. However, as far as I know kpRepublic should have 87 tkl kit soon which I'm looking forward too.

This is the link to the first DIY kit I've ordered, however seller replied that he's out of stock and I had to cancel order:   :( 
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DIY-KIT-keycool-mechanical-keyboards-cherry-mx-compatible-tkl-87-PCB-keycool-84-compact-keyboard/818123_32844894887.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.7f5e1c7cAIUOxf

Personally I don't like any of the cluttered 60%-75% and 96 keys layouts, because there is no spacing between keys like 87 and full keyboards have (the space gaps between directional arrow buttons and [Delete], [End], [Pg Down] buttons, also the tiny gap between alphanumeric keys and function keys. That's why I need TKL kit.

EDIT: In worst case scenario (if there will be no 87 TKL kit) I'll just order this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Custom-Mechanical-Keyboard-Kit-71-keys-kinds-of-led-effects-PCB-70-keycool-Gaming-Keyboard-LED/3034003_32826652211.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.740d151a0Sk0MX

It doesn't have function keys which can be an issue with certain applications, but at least the layout is good.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2018, 01:11:18 by vastcode »

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 01:33:16 »
https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/best-selling/products/gbkbdfans-8x-mechanical-keyboard-kit

Here's a TKL kit from KBDfans. They've got great stuff and I'd highly recommend them if you don't mind paying a bit more for something that's high quality.

Edit: it appears that the only ones in stock are in the black and dark grey combination.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 March 2018, 01:35:23 by BobCarltheThird »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 01:38:31 »
If you don't need programmability*, or want an all aluminum frame or limited edition? No, it's a keyboard. I mean, what more do you want? Not trying to be rude, I'm just saying, the big difference is like Bobcarlthethird said, they are often limited runs or have special layouts, otherwise, it's just an (arguably) better feel or some special function to them.

I'm sure some of the custom people will argue there's something magical about them but really there isn't. One may feel more solid or have a different sound, but given similar switches they aren't going to be drastically different to someone not well versed in it. It's often just a point of pride or the ability to customize the look, sound or feel that drives people to the customs.

*You can get programmable controllers for several different keyboards, making that less of an issue.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 01:54:25 »
If you don't need programmability*, or want an all aluminum frame or limited edition? No, it's a keyboard. I mean, what more do you want? Not trying to be rude, I'm just saying, the big difference is like Bobcarlthethird said, they are often limited runs or have special layouts, otherwise, it's just an (arguably) better feel or some special function to them.

I'm sure some of the custom people will argue there's something magical about them but really there isn't. One may feel more solid or have a different sound, but given similar switches they aren't going to be drastically different to someone not well versed in it. It's often just a point of pride or the ability to customize the look, sound or feel that drives people to the customs.

*You can get programmable controllers for several different keyboards, making that less of an issue.

A lot of the "low-mid" range Chinese customs are programmable through bootmapper now as well I find. Hell the KBDfans 8X TKL I linked to supports QMK. The divide between Kustoms and readily available and affordable kits is shrinking rapidly with growing popularity in China and the US.

Offline vastcode

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 02:30:17 »

I guess I just want a keyboard. Nothing too special, I just want the TKL layout and preferably black color plate and shell to match my keycaps. $200+ for just a kit sounds insane to me, it basically costs more than any Razer keyboard. It's my first time, so I wouldn't like to invest too much (as there is risk, I'd burn/break something while soldering). I've set my limit to $160 for making first keyboard, that's up to $80 for DIY kit, though I find most DIY kits priced at $45 on aliexpress. Not sure if the KBDfans or any other website would ship to me and what the shipping cost would be, so I tend to avoid those shops for now.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 17:06:30 »
I guess I just want a keyboard. Nothing too special, I just want the TKL layout and preferably black color plate and shell to match my keycaps. $200+ for just a kit sounds insane to me, it basically costs more than any Razer keyboard. It's my first time, so I wouldn't like to invest too much (as there is risk, I'd burn/break something while soldering). I've set my limit to $160 for making first keyboard, that's up to $80 for DIY kit, though I find most DIY kits priced at $45 on aliexpress. Not sure if the KBDfans or any other website would ship to me and what the shipping cost would be, so I tend to avoid those shops for now.

Unfortunately, $200 isn't very practical for a low production keyboard because of the cost of the individual items. Manufacturers can buy in bulk allowing for massive price breaks. They also tend to use faster manufacturing processes such as injection molded plastics, while low numbers tend to use machining which is slower and more costly. I get it, $200 can be a lot of money, but in manufacturing, it goes amazingly fast, even in China.

Since you are concerned about messing something up, let me offer you an alternative, buy the cheap E-Element off Amazon and mod that, or do what I did. Start with a Costar based TKL keyboard like a Filco or Cooler Master, used works as well. Mod that with your switches, add a programmable controller. You will be well under $200 and have a solid foundation, and if you go used, even cheaper. If you mess up, you can pick up a used pcb and re-use the rest. These have the added benefit of being a very good pcb and therefore more difficult to damage. Then when you get some more money, buy an aluminum case if you want.

No, it doesn't have leds (there may be something compatible that does though), but it is a solid keyboard and unlike a limited production item, you can buy parts for it if something happens to it and you end up with what amounts to a custom and will last a lifetime.

By the way, I recently did a custom kit off Ali Express.
It cost me well over $200 by the time it was done, and it took almost 4 months by the time I got everything sorted with the manufacturer after there was some shipping damage and possibly a bad pcb. The language barrier was a somewhat significant issue, but so was shipping times. Any time they had to ship something it could take up to a month to get it, and if they forgot something, another month. I came very close to returning it and getting a refund and after 7 months, I have yet to install the new pcb because it means desoldering all the switches and starting over. For the third time. I haven't even used it for more than a week straight because I'm just sick of dealing with it. The manufacturer was reasonable and worked with me, but it just turned into a nightmare.

If you do plan on ordering off Ali Express, be prepared, most transactions are not this bad, but some are also worse. You have little recourse if anything goes wrong compared to what you can do if something goes wrong buying from Amazon or even Ebay.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 17:17:53 »
Have you looked into the Glorious modular mechanical keyboard (GMMK), https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-tkl-tenkeyless-customized?variant=43850261006. You can order it directly through their site (not sure of their shipping policies & how much it would be if it's intl.) so you don't gotta worry about no recourse with Ali Express. Also you can get the bare bones KB (no switches or caps, just the KB) for $60 USD since you have those already & it is pretty well regarded within the community as nice jumping off platform for custom MKBs.

Offline vastcode

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 15:54:29 »
I've only found Barebones kb with switches which cost $95.
Still waiting for some 87 tkl kit on aliexpress, in case I dislike it, I'll just buy E-Element KB like Leslieann suggested.
Will just have to wait and see for now.