geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Keycaps made with Pottery Clay

(1/3) > >>

ju6ju8Oo:
Keycaps made with Pottery Clay, anyone tried?

jmg123:
No, but i do make quite a bit with clay. The problem i forsee is the uneven 5 to to 10% shrinkage you get when firing. It would probably be best to make a large enough hole on the underside of the ceramic key to be able to take a stem cut off a plastic key. That way you could glue the plastic stem into the ceramic key and make sure you get a good fit to the switch.

ju6ju8Oo:
a plastic stem sounds like a good plan!

keylabskeycaps:
I haven't personally tried that, I use super sculpy medium for all the stuff I work on. I think pottery clay would run into a bunch of issues with detailing and drying out and everything. It might be worth a try, but it could end up just being a pain.

Thereminz:

--- Quote from: jmg123 on Mon, 19 March 2018, 13:52:58 ---No, but i do make quite a bit with clay. The problem i forsee is the uneven 5 to to 10% shrinkage you get when firing. It would probably be best to make a large enough hole on the underside of the ceramic key to be able to take a stem cut off a plastic key. That way you could glue the plastic stem into the ceramic key and make sure you get a good fit to the switch.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't the plastic melt in the kiln

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version