geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

What are your thoughts on artisan keycaps for high-traffic keys?

(1/3) > >>

phorx:
I was recently looking at a GB for an artisan spacebar made of resin and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the durability of such a key.  I'm also curious if using a key like this might also negatively impact the overall typing experience since the "feel" is inconsistent with the rest of the keys.  Has anyone here used an artisan spacebar, or other high-traffic key, over a long period? 

For reference, the one I was looking at is here:  https://keysekai.com/shop/machinery/steampunk-space-bar/

BobCarltheThird:

--- Quote from: phorx on Mon, 19 March 2018, 10:19:07 ---I was recently looking at a GB for an artisan spacebar made of resin and I was wondering if I should be concerned about the durability of such a key.  I'm also curious if using a key like this might also negatively impact the overall typing experience since the "feel" is inconsistent with the rest of the keys.  Has anyone here used an artisan spacebar, or other high-traffic key, over a long period? 

For reference, the one I was looking at is here:  https://keysekai.com/shop/machinery/steampunk-space-bar/

--- End quote ---
I used an Idea23 spacebar with one of my SA sets and didn't mind it. The regular keys were already glossy so I didn't notice any difference and durability as always depends on the quality of the casting.

katushkin:
Wow, wonder if Glovecaps knows about this. They look a lot like the caps he's been making for a while now.

I think with the resin you won't get much wear, it will probably just shine.

HotRoderX:

--- Quote from: katushkin on Thu, 22 March 2018, 15:46:38 ---Wow, wonder if Glovecaps knows about this. They look a lot like the caps he's been making for a while now.

I think with the resin you won't get much wear, it will probably just shine.

--- End quote ---

I am not sure you can really compare the two.. one looks like a prototype the other a polished and finished project.... Personally I think some "artisan's" are artisan's in name only.. not really design. Hope that makes since and I know its not a popular opinion

phorx:
Could you share a link to Glovecaps’ work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version