geekhack Community > Keyboards

What is the best clicky light switch?

(1/3) > >>

Pavilions:
I was thinking of trying the clicky switches for a change but I don't know which one to get? I have tried the cherry MX Blues but I don't like them that much? I read that Kailh has good switches but I really know nothing about the weight and other details, any help appreciated.

Leslieann:
Best clicky is not going to be found in the MX platform, you can try something with a click bar, but for a really nice experience you need to look into Alps or better still, buckling spring if you want a really nice clicky or tactile switch.

After what I have seen with Matias, I wouldn't recommend going that way, REALLY inconsistent and lots of ping from the springs. Buckling spring, just look for one known to work, they are pretty sturdy even after some abuse, but Alps, you want to find a nice one as they are fickle. If you start looking in to 2nd gen smk (Moneterey switch), be sure to get the absolutely nicest one you can find, as the only way I've seen to fix them if they feel bad is to use an ultra sonic cleaner.

shem:
I've seen several people say that Matias switches are unreliable. I'm puzzled by this, having had this Mini Tactile Pro in daily use for 6-7 years with NO problems. I like the feel and the noise.

In one server room I always use a Dell AT102 keyboard with original ALPS switches and love it. I've also seen people mention that they gum up easily and then feel horrible. This one has been in intermittent use since about 1999 and is still a delight to use.

Well, anecdotal data is all you are going to get anyway.

abrahamstechnology:
I refitted several AT101Ws with new switches directly from Matias and they are solid. I believe the people having issues have the older switches before Matias started gold plating the contacts, along with other improvements.

On the other hand, I tried Tai-Hao blue Alps clones, and they were so inconsistent, most of the switches would only click 50% of the time! They were so terrible, I think the AliExpress seller scammed me and sold me factory rejects or test switches that had already exceeded the 20 million testing lifecycle.

Leslieann:
They work fine, they just feel and sound inconsistent.
I bought individuals of click and quiet clicks and a whole keyboard, all have one gold and one copper contact.

The loose switches are consistent, soldered ones are not (I did not solder them).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version