Author Topic: Let's talk about the g810  (Read 11260 times)

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
Let's talk about the g810
« on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 11:23:01 »
I've seen talks about the g910, but with the g810, alot of the people's complaints are no longer valid. Lots of talk about how the g910's keys were atrocious and the case itself being gaudy, but with the g810, they fixed those problems. It actually reminds a lot of the ducky shine 3.

So what do you guys think? Would you buy it now that it doesn't look too edgy?
Hana DSA - Duck Octagon V2| Ducky Mini - MX Red

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Let's talk about the g810
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 12:07:06 »
I'm going to buy one at some point. I use my G910 almost daily. The new switches feel better too. I wish it had some macro keys, but I can live without them. Would love to see a TKL version, which is another reason I'm holding out.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 12:12:43 »
I'm going to buy one at some point. I use my G910 almost daily. The new switches feel better too. I wish it had some macro keys, but I can live without them. Would love to see a TKL version, which is another reason I'm holding out.

Couple of my coworkers bought g810 and they're really into it. I've only played with it a little bit but man it does feel good on the updated keycaps.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:39:20 »
I have a g410 and it's great. If they make a TKL version of the G810 I'll upgrade to that, as I'm not a fan of the huge case and jacked up palm rest on the g410. Everything about the switches I love, though. Well, except the ping, but I'm not sure if it's the case or the switches. I'll have to add some sound dampening at some point to see if it's improved.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:18:44 »
I just checked out some pictures, well done Logitech. I'm still not sold on Romer-G but the G810 looks decent.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:34:37 »
Ok that looks like a nice board. Can't fault Logitech for not listening.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:35:01 »
I tried Romer G's at best buy a while ago, and they were really nice.

I do like the 810 much more, not as flashy as the 910, which I like.

I don't like boards with non detachable cables, but I may actually give in and get one of these. Especially if they make a TKL version, since I'm not a huge fan of full sized boards

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 14:50:23 »
Yeah I'd be down for a tkl of the g810. Phasing myself out of the full boards myself. I like the fact that the rgb lighting is in the middle of the switch rather than non-r or r spots on the cherry switches

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 14:55:20 »
It would be logical for them to update the G410 with a new model in the styling of the G810, but there may be some time yet before that occurs.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 18:19:59 »
Are the switches the same between the G410, 810 and 910?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:54:58 »
They are all the same Romer-G switches.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:00:45 »
They are all Romer-G, but they are not the same. Users have reported that switch feel in the G410 feels significantly better than the G910. It is reasonable to assume this has carried over to the G810 - perhaps with some further tweaking.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:05:37 »
They are all Romer-G, but they are not the same. Users have reported that switch feel in the G410 feels significantly better than the G910. It is reasonable to assume this has carried over to the G810 - perhaps with some further tweaking.

I haven't typed on the 810 yet, but the 410 feels different that the 910 as you stated. A little more tactile and crisp feeling than the 910. I've been meaning to go check out the 810 just to see if it changed.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:15:24 »
Hmm for the price though... I'll buy me some bro gamer caps for my hhkb. BAM gaming keyboard.

I actually like the g910 looks though. Primarily the wrist rest. Not a huge fan of all the extra buttons.

They should go back to the 410 with normal key caps and the romer g switches

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:19:06 »
I didn't feel any difference between the g910 and g410.

If there is any difference (and I don't think there is) it's more likely attributable to the more standard caps on the g410.

Offline Chewypost

• Bacon PanCAAAKES
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 09:59:16 »
I've read that a lot of people have issues with pinging sounds on the g410. So maybe the crispness is based on how secured the switches are to the plate?

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 10:13:30 »
I've read that a lot of people have issues with pinging sounds on the g410. So maybe the crispness is based on how secured the switches are to the plate?

That could very well be.  There is a ton of ping on my board (G410) that I didn't really notice on the G910.  When I take apart my board to address it I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

Offline Rhosta

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 08:43:38 »
If by pinging sounds you mean spring echo resonating through keyboard, when you release the key, then I bought G810 and returned it because of it. It was so goddamn annoying and I was sad, because the backlight is flawless with Romer-G switches, much much better than with MX Switches.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 13:48:17 »
Yeah. The g810 I got was better with the spring noise, but I returned mine because I just need the desk space a TKL board provides.

The feel was very solid though, and I still think I'd switch to a TKL version of the g810 if one comes out.

Offline dante

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 14:24:28 »
I'm weird - I'd like to see their K120 in a tenkeyless format at mass produced prices.

I still can't believe Qsenn hasn't made a tenkeyless DT35 yet...

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 20:24:15 »
I like the switches but hadn't quite liked the caps on the 910.  The 810 looks better but at this point, I'd simply rather go with MX compatibility than be stuck with vendor-provided caps.

Offline Zoide

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 23:52:43 »
So, has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the G810's ping? Perhaps by stuffing it with cotton or something like that?

I'm very interested in getting one but the very reason I want to switch away from my Azio MGK1-K is to get rid of its horrible ping...

In the case of the MGK1-K, the ping actually comes from the Kaihl Brown switches themselves, not from the metal plate. I know that's the case because some keys do it more than others and they even do it if I don't bottom them out. My fear is that the same thing happens on the G810.

The reports aren't very promising for the G810  :(
https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Keyboards/G810-Filco-Ping/td-p/1493117/page/2

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 00:16:21 by Zoide »

Offline Aricil

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 08:44:35 »

Couple of my coworkers bought g810 and they're really into it. I've only played with it a little bit but man it does feel good on the updated keycaps.

Yeah, I'd love to see a TKL version of the G810. And don't mention the Atlas Spectrum, I'm not talking about that. I want a TKL that isn't gaudy looking. That's part of the reason I sold my Orion Spark. It was my first mech and I loved it for several months, but the size of it and lack of a need for macro keys ended up with me selling it, even though I did like the switches. Although, now my preference is for clicky switches like my gateron blue board, and I also love my silenced novatouch. But I still have a soft spot for my first mech keyboard and wouldn't mind getting another one in a form factor that is better for me and stylized with something less gamer-ey.
Professional amateur.

Offline c137

• German Mechanical Keyboard Blog
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 04:35:09 »
Here is my take on the G810: https://www.mecha-blog.de/review-logitech-g810-orion-spectrum/ (in German, with pics and Soundcloud)

It definitely echoes and pings a lot.
The lighting is pretty neat though, because of the central transparent plastic piece in the Romer-G switches distributes it very well.
"I´m sorry for shooting everyone!" - Lt. Col. John Sheppard

Offline Aelon

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 12:10:39 »
I am using Logitech G810 since December 2016, It's been almost 2 years that I've been only using this keyboard for typing, programming and gaming and I like to share my experiences:

Unfortunately I think there are some serious issues about this keyboard. I will list them beginning from worst ones...

1) Keycap stems/legs break!

As you can see from the photos I took, especially the small ones are prone to breaking more and what's worse is the broken parts also get stuck in switches stem housings...
I think Logitech definitely need to change either the material of keycaps, the design of keycaps, the design of Romer-G switches or ALL altogether. This is not acceptable. The keyboard is falling apart. (I don't know which keycaps stems broke or about to brake I haven't checked them all one by one. But I think it is more than 10. The cracks on the stems began to appear on most of the switches I use.)

2) It's Romer-G switches CHATTER!!!
Even tough Romer-G switches were especially made with double contact mechanisms to eliminate key chattering for multiple key registers, unfortunately it stills chatters horribly :(
It suddenly started chattering like may 2018, got worse at july and august and now at September 2018 chatterings magically began to reduce. Altough past 4 months I am near seaside and weather is both very hot and humid. I believe moisture/humidity/dampness basically water vapor concentration in the air is primarily responsible for key chattering but I can't be sure 100%. (Not only that but sometimes the key doesn't also register at all even though I press it!! And I think this is even worse than chattering but thankfully it happens much less frequently than chattering)
But still I think external factors like moisture/humidity/temperature shouldn't be an excuse for key chattering. By the way I have been applying alcohol treatment to the chattering keys past 3 months!
In my opinion a mechanical switch should be superior to membrane switches in every way!. Not just for typing comfort but for typing consistency as well. A keyboard switch must be reliable in almost every situation 110% of time. I have been using rubber dome/membrane keyboards for more than 20 years and never had a chattering or misregistering key. This is unacceptable. I sometimes use online banking and could you imagine what would happen if I type a number wrong because of chattering keys ? Again this is unacceptable. Makes me unneccesarily cautious in those kind of situations.
I am beginning to consider buying an optical switched mechanical keyboard to eliminate chatter.

3) Keyboard has a pinging/ringing noise whenever I press a key. It is not audible when my computers case is in my room because of the fan noise.
But unfortunately my computer case sits at next room. Keyboard, mouse, monitor etc. peripherals are connected to the case through a hole in the wall and my room is dead silent. In this situation you can clearly hear this pinging/ringing noise coming from the keyboard. It's not too annoying but still it would be better if it didn't exist.

4) Feel of Romer-G is "meh". It's not snappy like Cherry MX Brown switches. It's mushy. Don't have a character and it's not very delightful to type generally on them. (But still they are better than rubber dome or membranes of course)

5) RGB lighting is not good. Especially white color is problematic. The best white color I could find is the values: Red:255 Green:200 Blue:200
Other than that for example values like ~255,~255,~255 is either greenish, blueish or pinkish. Besides the white color is not too bright. A little bit brightness for all colors would be great.
It's true that mathematically 256x256x256 = 16.8 Million different colors exist theoretically but seriously only 256 color (like the old computers supported) would be still great IF you could make those color show PROPERLY. (I don't know maybe also add Another 1-10 value for brightness adjustment).
This "ZOMG! 16.8 MILLION COLORS!!!11eleven!!!!" is not working properly as intended. Logitech please find a proper solution to it. Altough of course it's not dead serious also.
But still when your 16.8 million RGB leds could show a white color both as white and bright like a proper one color white LED, I think that would also be considered a big improvement.
Ah also: Altough Romer-G is designed to illuminate the top of keycap, it still "leaks" light to the bottom of the keycap. And since the bottom part of Romer-G switch is blue, this leaked light's color is also naturally blue. It would be better if Logitech can find a solution to this problem aswell.

6) Higher Romer-G actuation point also makes typing errors more. I don't remember making that much errors when typing on a Cherry MX Brown or membrane keyboard. My fingers accidentally presses nearby keys.

7) Software seem inadequate. I can't import/export, save my custom lighting profile. I have to write them down in *.txt" file.

8) It would be better if it also had a detachable cable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for the things I like:

1) Very elegant, modest design.

2) Volume Scroll feel and position is excellent. I can't live without it. It's smooth and big. Also the volume mute button next to it is most convenient. I congratulate Logitech by this decision. I will definitely looking for this excellent combo for my next keyboard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall this keyboard is mostly disappointment for me because of breaking keycap stems and Romer-G switches chattering. Because I was thinking about using it for years and years and years... No wonder they discontinued this product and they are not producing it anymore. I thought Logitech had learned a valuable lesson because of braking keycaps of their G710+ keyboards .. but unfortunately it seems they still didn't learn.
But however I still go on using this keyboard because of my gaming needs and the modification I had done to this keyboard I explained here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88994.0

If I can find a better candidate keyboard for my modification, I will most probably abandon my current G810 keyboard (and Logitech entirely) for good.
Please Logitech make more durable keyboards and design your switches so that they won't chatter and misregister at all. Use optical switch technology perhaps I don't know.

Thank you for reading my rant.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 01:55:42 by Aelon »