Author Topic: Keyboard Switch Mount Info Wanted  (Read 1249 times)

Offline CrankyAI

Keyboard Switch Mount Info Wanted
« on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 07:19:12 »
Hi All,
I am anticipating purchase of a new mechanical key keyboard soonish, probably with Cherry MX Brown (again) or possibly whichever competing brown (Gateron? Matias Silent tactile?) gives the best bump for the buck. This time I want it to be backlit (although not RGB and probably not with transparent switch bodies). What I'm specifically looking for here at this time is info about which commercially available keyboards have PCB mounted switches or, alternatively, have cut-outs in the plate to allow the switch to be opened without un-soldering/removing the entire switch (for lubrication, dampening, warranty destruction, etc). Guess if it has individual LEDs, those always do have to be de-soldered to pull the switch top.  Is there any kind of database or summary available (here or elsewhere) with that kind of information, ie, which keyboards are more (ab)user friendly? I've looked around here but most of my search terms seem to bring up predominately group-buy posts.  Obviously I'm either not using the right key words (so to speak...) or such info is hard to come by. I was hoping not to have to search for a tear-down review of every prospective keyboard, but....

TIA
Filco Majestouch(V1) MX Brown;  IBM M13 PS2 buckling spring w/ Trackpoint II;  Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB scissors w/ TrackPoint;  Siig Premium Aluminum USB scissors;  Logitech Illuminated K740 scissors;  Adesso Win-Touch Pro USB membrane with Glidepoint touchpad;  Adesso EasyTouch 730UB USB membrane with touchpad;  Adesso EasyTouch 730PB PS2 membrane with touchpad;  Logitech Trackman Marble, etc.

Offline Tactile

Re: Keyboard Switch Mount Info Wanted
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 08:35:46 »
The only way to find what you're looking for is to search for a keyboard with hot swappable switches. No-one makes a keyboard with both a plate cut for switch top removal and soldered switches. If that's what you want you'll just have to make it yourself.

Hot swap switch boards are out there from a few companies. One example:

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Wolf-Swappable-Mechanical-Keyboard-Blue/dp/B01AFBJQA8
REΛLFORCE

Offline CrankyAI

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 06:08:00 »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!   :D

Didn't know such things existed.  Hot damn!  Didn't think to look for swapable or modular.  Definitely have to rethink the clear switch body prejudice. I was only opposed due to wanting subtle lighting limited to the key ID. However, that would be SO much easier to deal with than unsoldering for any and every access. 
Very tempted by these, with "brown" switches (Kailh vs Outemu, according to two different customers but not stated in specs):
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Wolf-Swappable-Customize-Mechanical/dp/B01G4PNNBC/ref=sr_1_80?ie=UTF8&qid=1543894872&sr=8-80&keywords=Storm%2BBuy&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/ABKO-K3000-Replaceable-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B078B2K156/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543889404&sr=1-8&keywords=swap%2Bswitch%2Bkeyboard&th=1

From your name, I'm guessing that you might have an opinion on tactile switches?  Have you had any significant experience with the tactile, minimally clicky Cherry competitor switches?  Any of them you'd favor?  Matias "Quiet Click" switches?  Couldn't find a full size baklit Matias Quiet-Switch keyboard, maybe I didn't look hard enough.  Ahh, I see from a prior post where you comment on using a RealForce. I've never tried one.  And..., now I see another post where you comment on the Matias.  Thanks!

Abko also offers this, a generic capacitance switch keyboard, but makes no obvious comment about the tactility. One customer commented about a non-identical kwyboard that there was very little tactility.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8GYW8J/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?th=1

BTW, I'm also from the Northwest (Sequim, WA). That's me, bundled up in front of my computer in the wee hours.
Filco Majestouch(V1) MX Brown;  IBM M13 PS2 buckling spring w/ Trackpoint II;  Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB scissors w/ TrackPoint;  Siig Premium Aluminum USB scissors;  Logitech Illuminated K740 scissors;  Adesso Win-Touch Pro USB membrane with Glidepoint touchpad;  Adesso EasyTouch 730UB USB membrane with touchpad;  Adesso EasyTouch 730PB PS2 membrane with touchpad;  Logitech Trackman Marble, etc.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 09:47:27 »
Abko also offers this, a generic capacitance switch keyboard, but makes no obvious comment about the tactility. One customer commented about a non-identical kwyboard that there was very little tactility.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8GYW8J/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?th=1

That's a very interesting keyboard. It's labelled as 45 gram and, if so, it should have a nice, tactile feel in addition to being quiet.

I've only ever used Cherry switches so don't know how tactile the other brands might be.
REΛLFORCE

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 December 2018, 12:51:13 »
If you need someone to build your keyboard for you (solder and program), I've been known to do that for people, and we're both in WA!