Author Topic: WASD BlackWidow Ultimate / KBC Poker II Compatibility  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Angelwork

• Angelwork Tech
WASD BlackWidow Ultimate / KBC Poker II Compatibility
« on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 00:01:26 »
Hello everyone.  I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to knowledge of mechanical keyboards and the like, so please excuse any faux pas that I make :)  Tonight I finally decided to get a set of replacement keycaps for my Razer BW Ultimate (My first experience with them).  I looked around and finally settled on making a WASD configuration on their customizing page.  Well, AFTER ( :-[) completing the transaction, I decided to check compatibility, just to make sure (I was under the impression that all Cherry MX keycaps were interchangeable), I discovered that the bottom row and stabilizers are incompatible.

Before I started looking for these keycaps, I already knew that the BW Ultimate is kind of the red-headed stepchild of mechanical keyboards, so I shouldn't be so surprised that there's some issues that popped up.  Anyway, since I want to put my new keycaps to use, so I'm strongly considering buying a KBC Poker II with blues (since that's what I'm used to).  My question becomes, is THIS keyboard compatible with the WASD keys?

If all else fails I can just cancel the order, but I'd really prefer not having to do that.

Any help is much appreciated :)
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate | HHKB Pro 2

Offline saturnotaku

Re: WASD BlackWidow Ultimate / KBC Poker II Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 09:18:46 »
My question becomes, is THIS keyboard compatible with the WASD keys?

Despite its form factor, the Poker II has a standard layout so what you ordered will work fine. You'll just have several caps left over, and you'll also miss out on the printing that shows what the Fn modifier does (on the number keys for example). I have a replacement cap set on order in the group buy section. They will have the same issue - no printing on the front, however I'm going to try and find a way to address that.

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 12:33:06 »
You can, BUT, the caps that come on the Poker II are WAY nicer (thick-ass PBT) than the ABS caps you bought from WASD. By figuring out Keycap length though, I THINK you can get the WASD set to work on a BlackWidow by ordering like... 4 more keycaps.
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline Angelwork

• Angelwork Tech
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 20:31:48 »
You can, BUT, the caps that come on the Poker II are WAY nicer (thick-ass PBT) than the ABS caps you bought from WASD. By figuring out Keycap length though, I THINK you can get the WASD set to work on a BlackWidow by ordering like... 4 more keycaps.

I can see in your sig that you own an BW Ultimate as well.  Have you found any caps for it from any other sellers?
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate | HHKB Pro 2

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 00:26:03 »
Really, it's just those few that are off. You'd have to order them special. WASD MIGHT let you if you email them.
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II