Author Topic: first car  (Read 23927 times)

Offline retsteel

• Hmmm... I guess I'm here again.
first car
« on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:39:24 »
The time is near. I have been driving for over a year and after this summer I hope to buy my first car. Because of this I was wondering what people's first cars were... also suggestions for me! I want something used, possibly cool or unique, that can fit someone who's 6'4", decent gas mileage, and preferably, that I can get in a manual. so yeah... post your first car or suggest mine!

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
first car
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:42:31 »
Audi avant or allroad It's my first car. try it and you will love it!!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
first car
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:44:12 »
My first car was a 1968 Mercury Cougar that my father had bought new in 1968 and driven for 4 years. Seafoam green, black vinyl top and interior. 302 2V automatic.

Awesome ride. I was a junior in college, and drove it for 2 years. Got rear-ended by a Chevrolet Impala station wagon.

Now, I am an old man and I want 4-door sedan that is quiet and dependable. I drive a 4-cylinder Camry.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:51:05 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
first car
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:49:26 »
2001 Chevy Blazer 2 door with the spare tire mounted on the back with a swing arm

Still drive it errr'day
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline funxion

first car
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:51:06 »
I've had my Audi A4 since October of 2010 and it's been a great first car.

Unfortunately, I have a really outrageous need for speed and the only way to get decent pickup with it is in sport mode or tiptronic. You're interested in a stick, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you ever want to open up! Anyhow, it gets you from point A to point B safely!

It's rather ironic that this thread popped up today. My mom actually backed into my car earlier and I've added a few pictures of it.

Forgot to mention: I get 23-25 MPG and I drive like a maniac...pretty sure if I drove like a sane human being, I'd be getting 28-30 MPG.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:56:26 by funxion »
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
first car
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 20:52:07 »
My first car was a used '65 Mustang.  The previous owner dropped a Gran Torino V8 in it (forgot what year the engine came from) and that thing can move!  I remember even the slightest pressure to the gas pedal and it peels. lol

Ahh.. to be young again.

Mine wasn't as good a condition as the one above but you get the idea.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
first car
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:01:25 »
Quote from: reaper;605170
My first car was a used '65 Mustang.  The previous owner dropped a Gran Torino V8 in it (forgot what year the engine came from) and that thing can move!  I remember even the slightest pressure to the gas pedal and it peels. lol

Nice! Good friend of mine in high school's first car was his grandma's CLASSIC Ford Maverick. Damn clutch always gave out though.

My first car was a ~2000 Honda Civic.

Offline retsteel

first car
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:09:15 »
I should mention that my budget is very small... I hope to be able to say that I have spent more on my computer than my car. Dang you all have(or had) such cool cars.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
first car
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:10:21 »
My first car was a Chevy Beretta, drove to Minnesota from Fla for Thanksgiving and cracked the block.
2nd car was a '91 Honda CRX Si, after putting 8k of performance work into it some college twit hit me, totalled the car.
3rd car was a '90 Honda CRX Si, bought from some asian dude w/ everything I could ask for except the short shift kit (which I pulled out of the wreck and put into this one. yay!

Since then I've had a Honda Civic EX, Honda Passport, Honda Civic Si hatch, Jeep Wrangler, Dodge Caravan... The CRX's were definitely my favorite.  Decent pick up and w/ the suspension work I got ridiculous handling.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline retsteel

first car
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:14:44 »
I have seriously considered a wrangler, but they are really expensive, even (heavily) used they aren't less than like 3000. also that may give a perspective of what I plan on spending...

Offline keyboardlover

first car
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:15:47 »
If you have a job, you could put WAY less money than that down on a new car.

That's what I did at your age.

Offline Reptile

first car
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:16:40 »
My first car was a 2000 Audi S4. 2.7L V6 Twin Turbo. Pretty fun car; if I found another one for a good price today I would probably buy it.
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline retsteel

first car
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:17:01 »
I would rather get a 500$ safety hazard that I duct tape together every 100 miles.

Offline metafour

first car
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:29:04 »
I suggest a Corolla or a Civic. They don't have much power but they're reliable. Upgrade later.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
first car
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:30:26 »
And unless you know cars well do not for one moment believe that you can get away with spending less on a beater than you would on a reasonably priced used car that doesn't need work.  It'll be more expensive over time with the beater if you're not doing the work yourself AND know what you're doing.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline keyboardlover

first car
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 21:32:15 »
Quote from: alaricljs;605201
And unless you know cars well do not for one moment believe that you can get away with spending less on a beater than you would on a reasonably priced used car that doesn't need work.  It'll be more expensive over time with the beater if you're not doing the work yourself AND know what you're doing.

I agree. You don't want to end up spending more on maintenance than on the car itself. And remember that when it's time to move on, it probably won't be worth much as a trade in.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
first car
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 22:06:47 »
Chevy Monza V8 like this one. I wish I had a '65 Mustang :)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 51964[/ATTACH]
Keyboardless

Offline WRXChris

first car
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 22:09:23 »
My first car was a Civic.  I wanted an Integra GSR but couldn't afford it.  I got so fed up with the slow Civic that I stopped changing it's oil so that it would blow up and I would be forced to swap in a GSR motor.  I got my wish after 10k miles.  Lesson learned, for someone who enjoys the finer things in life such as pushing the limits of physics and whatnot, don't compromise in the beginning.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
first car
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 22:22:01 »
80s Volvo wagon.

They call em tanks for a reason. Plus they're great cars and you can haul **** around.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Daniel Beaver

first car
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 22:27:05 »
Mazda 3 hatchback. Super cool, practical, reliable, and affordable if you buy used (mine is seven years old, but looks new).

They hold their value, and so might be out of your price range.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 May 2012, 22:30:56 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
first car
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 22:59:08 »
Quote from: WRXChris;605227
My first car was a Civic.  I wanted an Integra GSR but couldn't afford it.  I got so fed up with the slow Civic that I stopped changing it's oil so that it would blow up and I would be forced to swap in a GSR motor.  I got my wish after 10k miles.  Lesson learned, for someone who enjoys the finer things in life such as pushing the limits of physics and whatnot, don't compromise in the beginning.

Really?  I went 8-13k between oil changes on my CRXs and I removed the rev limiter I hit it so much.  Never had a problem w/ the engine and the oil was clean every time.  Strangest thing that happened was an alternator broke after parking it in the driveway for 6 weeks.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline jonnybastard

first car
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 31 May 2012, 23:58:16 »
Don't know what the US is like but here in Australia buying an older Jap import is a cheap way to have some fun, forget mileage though and practically usually too.

Some of my fondest driving memories were in that car, too bad it was crashed soon after I sold it!
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
first car
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 00:49:59 »
'76 death trap mini.

Only mine wasn't as nice as this one.  Leaked so bad I often had to remove the carpets and pull out the grommets in the floor.  I don't miss it.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Malphas

first car
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 02:46:01 »
I had a yellow MKII Golf vaguely similar to this.

I would get a pre-2000's German or Swedish car in your shoes. I'd also get a diesel since you're concerned about mileage, but you Americans don't really do diesels, I guess. You could pick up a decent pre-Chrysler merge Merc for dirt cheap, and they last basically forever, doubt you'd find a manual very easy though. Beamers are fun, but you'll go through petrol (and possibly tyres) quickly, they're also awful on snow and ice obviously. Volvos are bulletproof. VW/Audi and Saab are all rounders.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2012, 02:50:40 by Malphas »

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
first car
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 02:55:41 »
My lovely Citroen C3
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
first car
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 06:41:19 »
Quote from: sth;605234
80s Volvo wagon.

They call em tanks for a reason. Plus they're great cars and you can haul **** around.

Ditto.  Except I had an '86 Volvo 240 D.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
first car
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 07:38:45 »
1992 dodge grand caravan yeaaaaaaa!!!!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
first car
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 07:55:42 »
First was a 86 cutlass :D
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Maarten

first car
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 09:18:10 »
Americans and cars.... always cracks me up!

-'Im looking for a car with decent gas-mileage'
-'This one does 25 MPG'

-'Im looking for a practical car'
-

Im a European so i wont act like i can actually suggest a car to you, but like said before you might wanna befriend a good mechanic or invest a little more $ in a car with some form of warranty so that when things go wrong (since its your first car this WILL happen sooner rather then later) you at least wont have to sell a kidney to stay mobile.

My first car was a 1980's VW polo. Small, cheap (got it for a box of beers), slow, ugly, great mileage, burns down completely in under 5 minutes (which sucked cuz it had a full tank of petrol).

My current car - Mercedes 190E 2.3-16v - does about 30mpg and the wife hates it for that cuz a tank of gas will nowadays set you back about $150 (18.5 gallon tank). However, i kinda have a weak spot for special cars so its staying :cool:

Offline Daniel Beaver

first car
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 10:17:39 »
Quote from: Maarten;605538
-'Im looking for a car with decent gas-mileage'
-'This one does 25 MPG'
Hey now, mine gets 27!

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline keyboardlover

first car
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 10:18:12 »
25 MPG is decent to ME. My car gets around 20.

Offline Maarten

first car
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 11:05:41 »
Well that's my point exactly... with the prices you US guys pay for gas id be fine with 20mpg as well (and so would the wife LOL). My friends/family consider anything over 40mpg to be good, 30-40 is acceptable, 25-30 sucks and anything under 25 is broken. For me, its different.. Im a car enthusiast and i can appreciate many cars despite how much fuel they use, if i want to go anywhere cheap i just grab my motorcycle (everything here is not as spread out as in the US), it still 'only' gets 45mpg but at least its a whole lot quicker than those VW blue-motion slowboats.

And besides, all our tiny european 'green' cars just would not work for you anyways. I bet if you drive a polo and get in an accident you would not stand a chance against those pieces of farming equipment you guys drive :flame: . If you're an american you should buy an american car, if youre european buy a european car, same goes for almost all countries really. Also saves you a buttload on spare-parts and labor.

Offline Gawkbasher

first car
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 11:44:39 »
If you want something unique and manual and absolutely not for the feint of heart, there's really only one choice:  1985/86 Dodge Omni GLH/GLH-T.  You can get them under $4k usually (for really nice ones) and around $2k that will need some work.  The 86 GLHS costs a bit more but is scary as hell and highly recommended you drive a GLH-T beforehand.

http://www.allpar.com/omni/GLHS.php

If you want something safe, get a Saab 9-3.  They're solid cars.
Topre Realforce 87U 45g / Logitech G9x / Razer Scarab
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline Gawkbasher

first car
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 11:48:51 »
I actually love those ridiculously long cars...the more it looks like a pimpmobile the better.  Can you say '83 Buick Riviera, White with Red Leather interior?  I can. :D
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline keyboardlover

first car
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 11:49:39 »
I thought it would make him look like a contract killer.

Offline Gawkbasher

first car
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 11:52:04 »
I wish the Citroen DS3 was here in the States.  Thing drives like a go-kart.
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
first car
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 11:56:51 »
Buddy of mine had a Buick Wildcat, forget what year but it had some 400+ci engine with twin 4-barrel Holleys... sheer madness considering it had jello for tires/suspension.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
first car
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 12:08:49 »
My aunt had a car very similar to that Wildcat, a 1966-67 Oldsmobile Starfire with the police interceptor engine, Turbo-Hydramatic 3 speed automatic. My uncle had to special-order it like that.

One night, on a long straight road, I started in "Drive" from a dead stop, and held the accelerator to the floor. It shifted from first to second at 65 mph, and from second to third at 105 mph, I kid you not. I don't know how tall the gears were in the differential, but they must have been the maximum that GM offered that year.

I chickened out at about 130 mph, but it still had A LOT left. I bet it would have done 150-160.

Probably cost $5K brand new.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2012, 12:28:15 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Maarten

first car
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 12:42:44 »
Quote from: kishy;605650
(but that actually is my car)

'it is no doubt the most enjoyable to drive'

.... arent those of the kind that dont really corner noticeably but just lean over alot in the opposite direction of which you turn the steering wheel?

Nah, seriously those things are brilliant for long road trips but they would not work in small cramped tight cities. For that something like a DS3 would indeed be better (eventho i would not buy a french car ever myself). I also have a street-legal go-kart btw, i gots me a little 1960's fiat 500 now THOSE are fun little things! They don't have the power to go over 60mph (and even if they did i would not go that fast in something that small) but they corner like crazy so can basically go around any corner at 35mph and you actually NEED to do that cuz if you brake it takes waaay to long to get back up to speed again! Now those are real drivers-cars!

Offline nthn

first car
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 14:21:57 »
My first car was a '98 Honda Civic. I've driven it now for ~5 years and it is a wonderful little car. Sure, a lot of my friends have fancy cars that are quick and look nice, but my Civ gets around 31-34mpg, it has an iPhone port and it was free from my parents. I've done my best to get properly-timed oil changes and maintenance and it has treated me right.

Offline Gawkbasher

first car
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 14:38:11 »
Quote from: Maarten;605708
eventho i would not buy a french car ever myself

Citroen really was known for making crap cars.  :B  They sure got their **** together with this new model DS3 though.  They have a 6 month delay to order them in the UK right now.
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline Maarten

first car
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 14:53:47 »
Quote from: Gawkbasher;605791
Citroen really was known for making crap cars.  :B  They sure got their **** together with this new model DS3 though.  They have a 6 month delay to order them in the UK right now.

Well, to be brutally honest the DS3 looks purdy and all, but if i ever decided to buy a car in that price range (25k for a decent model) i think id still go for a Audi A1 or maybe even a Volvo C30. The DS3 has been around for what, 2 years now? I bet they'll all start breaking down before this year is over ;)

Oh and i bet the delay in the UK is cuz the french have to move the steering wheel over to the other side one at a time for you guys and haven't yet figured out how to do so in any timely matter xD

Offline Gawkbasher

first car
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 15:04:09 »
I have a mate who used to be an engineer for Nissan who says the DS3 is an incredibly solid and fun car and that if it weren't for the 6-month wait, he would have bought one.  This is a guy who owned an R34 Skyline GT-R V-Spec N1...
KBC Poker X (Blue)
/ KBC Poker X (Red)

Offline didjamatic

first car
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 15:27:35 »
Quote from: fohat.digs;605165
My first car was a 1968 Mercury Cougar that my father had bought new in 1968 and driven for 4 years. Seafoam green, black vinyl top and interior. 302 2V automatic.

Nice!  My grandfather and I spent 2 years building my first car out of a 67 Cougar and a 68 Cougar.  Mine was white.  

For a first car, get something reliable that has parts readily available.  Learn to fix it by joining a forum relevant to your car, or find a friend or relative that knows how to work on cars.

European cars are fun but expensive to fix, I've owned 7.  Japanese cars in general are more reliable and cheaper to fix.  American cars are improving but for a first car if you're going high miles I'd stick to Japanese.
Tough to go wrong with Japanese cars from a reliability perspective.

I'm partial to Subaru Forester XT's from 2004-2008.  They're affordable, quick stock (XT is turbo) and can be made very fast if you want to spend just a little time and money on them.  I had one that was 300HP and 330TQ but looked like a grocery wagon.  Good safety ratings, All Wheel Drive, Good Mileage for what it is and you can haul most things with it.  Gizmag or someone rated the Forester as the 2nd most reliable car of the last 10 years.  And it's fun to eat fast cars alive in a wagon.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
first car
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 15:33:59 »
I learned on and then bought an 88 Camry. Still see tons of these on the road and they're known to get 300k all around 30MPG

Offline WRXChris

first car
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 16:44:01 »
Quote from: alaricljs;605266
Really?  I went 8-13k between oil changes on my CRXs and I removed the rev limiter I hit it so much.  Never had a problem w/ the engine and the oil was clean every time.  Strangest thing that happened was an alternator broke after parking it in the driveway for 6 weeks.

I just remembered that I was spraying nitrous at the time.  Come to think of it, the nitrous may have been what broke the valve that caused the catastrophic failure, the oil may have had nothing to do with it (though I'm sure it didn't help).

The bottom section of a connecting rod fell out of a hole in the oil pan and I kept it as a momento, lol:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52057[/ATTACH]

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
first car
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 01 June 2012, 19:49:36 »
First car was a 1987 Volvo 240.  Graduated college, got a job, and bought a 1992 Volvo 240.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline Malphas

first car
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 02:44:08 »
Quote from: Maarten;605538
My current car - Mercedes 190E 2.3-16v - does about 30mpg and the wife hates it for that cuz a tank of gas will nowadays set you back about $150 (18.5 gallon tank). However, i kinda have a weak spot for special cars so its staying :cool:

One of my favourite cars. I keep a W124 in a garage for no particular reason other than I like owning it. Also, the first thing I would do upon moving to the US would be to buy some ludicrous old American piece of crap, like a LTD Crown Vic or a Dodge Monaco or something.

Offline Maarten

first car
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 04:00:05 »
Quote from: Malphas;606088
One of my favourite cars. I keep a W124 in a garage for no particular reason other than I like owning it. Also, the first thing I would do upon moving to the US would be to buy some ludicrous old American piece of crap, like a LTD Crown Vic or a Dodge Monaco or something.

Yeah, i love the old benzes as well. If i ever win a million bucks ill buy a 500E cuz those are SOO pricy to maintain... My little 16v is still in pretty good nick luckily;

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52116[/ATTACH]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52117[/ATTACH]

I dont think thats very bad for a 25+ year old car....

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
first car
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 June 2012, 16:22:16 »
Quote from: didjamatic;605817
Nice!  My grandfather and I spent 2 years building my first car out of a 67 Cougar and a 68 Cougar.  Mine was white.

Awesome car, I had a 67 (the first model year) XR7 with a stock 289. Most people don't realize they were the luxury version of a Mustang. The chassis and drive train were identical.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52129[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52130[/ATTACH]

I also had a 77 F-100 Ranger with a 351 Cleavland (big block.) No one else had a pickup?
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52131[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 52132[/ATTACH]

Get something used, clean, and cheap. The older the seller, the better the condition of the car.
SSKs for everyone!