Author Topic: [IC] Paragon – 75% gasket mount w encoder | Soundtests, GB Jan 8  (Read 236398 times)

Offline Cloods

Re: [IC] Paragon – A 75% keyboard with a rotary encoder | Quantity Announced
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 03:11:52 »
some really funky colour options could make this stand out a lot

Offline r00dy

• like it, buy it. don't like it, don't buy it
Re: [IC] Paragon – 75% gasket mount with rotary encoder | Fresh Renders
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 12:58:17 »
Out of curiosity, how troublesome would it be to offer an ISO (+hot-swap?) variant of the PCB? I have a feeling at least a third of the orders would be from Europeans.

I like the design choices and hope you stick to them - I honestly don't think you can pull off a separated arrow cluster in a manner that maintains finesse  :thumb:

In designing the board initially, we wanted to support a variety of layouts with the soldering pcb. We looked around at other 75% alternatives and saw that ISO wasn't supported so we made it a point to include ISO support in the pcb. Offering ISO hotswap would make the hotswap and soldering pcb's identical in supported layouts and we felt that it may leave the soldering pcb neglected in the group buy stage. We also prioritized ANSI hotswap because we're NA based and wanted to take advantage of supporting the layouts that we felt that we'd use the most.

Thanks for the support regarding the arrow cluster. A lot of people requested offset arrow clusters at the beginning but we felt that it would compromise the bezel and uniform spacing in the board.

Waiting for this kind of keyboard for a long time.

Thanks, so have we!

some really funky colour options could make this stand out a lot

The IC results have supported our initial theory that black and ewhite are popular colors. We let the IC forms dictate the third color (Deep Navy) and we feel that all three of these colors are elegant in a formal manner. There will be 35 LE boards (2 SKUs) at the designers' discretion so colors are still on the table. However, we feel that the board stands out on its own regardless of the color. In the meantime, however, the IC has been updated with some fresh renders by Pseudoalpaca with KAT Space Dust (currently in IC). There are teal and silver Paragons to give you an idea of how some other colors would look...

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 13:09:09 »
My god that teal is so nice

Offline gandalf

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 11:44:31 »
Cool design man, definitely interested since I probably won't be getting my hands on satisfaction 75 lol, I'm curious though what's the rotary encoder for? Is it something pre-programmed? Or can I change it to lets say volume control or something.

Offline r00dy

Re: [IC] Paragon – 75% gasket mount with rotary encoder | Fresher Renders 09/21
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 06:00:24 »
Cool design man, definitely interested since I probably won't be getting my hands on satisfaction 75 lol, I'm curious though what's the rotary encoder for? Is it something pre-programmed? Or can I change it to lets say volume control or something.

Thanks for the interest, the rotary encoder can do anything you want it to do like volume, screen brightness, etc. It's programmable via QMK so you should be able to toggle the functionality too if you want.

My god that teal is so nice

Teal isn't an offered color at the moment but we just received fresh ewhite renders on comfy pbt...

Offline Ragsters

« Reply #105 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 13:37:29 »
Wait...So when does the group buy start? I want one of these bad boys.

Offline Grog

Re: [IC] Paragon – 75% gasket mount with rotary encoder | Fresher Renders 09/26
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 14:22:35 »
The group buy is TBD at this point. Join us on their discord!

Offline r00dy

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 15:50:35 »
Wait...So when does the group buy start? I want one of these bad boys.

We're looking at Q1 2021. Thanks for the interest!

Offline Grog

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 10:41:16 »
Hoping to bump this thread for more exposure. Definitely a worthy 75% to look out for.

Offline Klyback

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 18:28:49 »
Interested!!

Offline r00dy

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 14:11:17 »
Interested!!

Thanks, we're talking with keebwerks and the manufacturer this week to place the order for the first prototype. We've also updated the IC post with new renders.

Offline 7h3of7

Re: [IC] Paragon – 75% gasket mount with rotary encoder | Fresher Renders 10/06
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 20:52:11 »
Definitely getting this.
Current Board: OTD 356 Mini v1 Black

Offline Grog

Re: [IC] Paragon – 75% gasket mount with rotary encoder | Fresher Renders 10/06
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 13:38:31 »
Looking forward to seeing the prototype arrive. Still my no.1 favorite board of all time!

Offline r00dy

We completed a redesign of the internals and placed the first prototype order.

Offline Techdude594

Prototype HYPE!   :D

Offline Chief_Sloth

Re: [IC] Paragon – A gasket mounted 75% keyboard with a rotary encoder
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 20:19:04 »
We reached out to RAMA Works regarding the concerns of the community; they had no issues with our board's design and wished us well for our group buy so the board will run with the current design aesthetic.

Of course, "he had no issues" - you've put him in an uncomfortable position.
Anyway...

Peace!

its a geometric shape, gtfo, no patents on that lul waaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Offline Paragon

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 14:18:59 »

Apple's winning lawsuit against Samsung for rounded corners and setting precedent begs to differ

Offline r00dy

Prototype HYPE!   :D

Thanks, we've had a lot of people wondering what the redesigned internals, weight and bottom look like. We've now attached a preliminary render of the internals to the main post along with a render of the weight. The major changes include the way the gaskets are held in place as the inside has been revamped along with the daughterboard cutout. The bottom side render highlights the weight redesign with the SF skyline along with how the screw holes have changed. You can also see the change in the USB port hole size and we'll try to add more renders in the coming weeks.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 16:13:35 »

Yes, the path of a LAZY DESIGNER is much easier.
With language like that - your place is on Reddit.
Good luck to you as well.

Offline r00dy

We took the advice, feedback, and criticism on geekhack and reddit from our first IC very seriously. We capped the groupbuy quantity, found a manufacturer, and have decided to go through a vendor as well (all due to advice from the first IC). We also took criticism for the design of the internals and subsequently redesigned them to make them more machineable. We also reached out to Rama early on to clarify any issues. Insinuating that our design is lazy is frankly rather insulting given the time, effort, and resources that we have expended into this endeavor. We've taken criticism in stride and hopefully shown that we're willing to make adjustments based upon feedback from people in the hobby.

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
Really neat concept for a board

Offline hover0423

The iceberg render is so clean~~~

Offline Ram

if only this was a 65, looks great!

Offline r00dy

Really neat concept for a board

The iceberg render is so clean~~~

Thanks! Credit to Nathan for the Iceberg Renders!

if only this was a 65, looks great!

thanks! not sure how that would work... offset numrow with knob?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

We took the advice, feedback, and criticism on geekhack and reddit from our first IC very seriously. We capped the groupbuy quantity, found a manufacturer, and have decided to go through a vendor as well (all due to advice from the first IC). We also took criticism for the design of the internals and subsequently redesigned them to make them more machineable. We also reached out to Rama early on to clarify any issues. Insinuating that our design is lazy is frankly rather insulting given the time, effort, and resources that we have expended into this endeavor. We've taken criticism in stride and hopefully shown that we're willing to make adjustments based upon feedback from people in the hobby.

Seems like this thread keeps getting thrown off-topic every so often. While the initial discussion was worth having, at this point it's just rehashing the past for the sake of stirring up drama. No need to keep doing that, and any future off-topic posts will be removed.

OP, I've quoted you, but I am of course responding to those you quoted above.

Offline iknowreal

Re: [IC-2] Paragon – 75% gasket mount w encoder | Vendors + Pricing Update
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 06:36:46 »
Been following this for some time now. Is 460 the price now or this the old one?

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 23:20:07 »
The post was updated with the same information that was posted about this board on reddit yesterday.
So yes the price seems to be 460$ without tax or shipping.

Offline 0xtanja

• need 1.5u supers
    • linktr.ee/tanjarinne
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 07:07:26 »
Submitted!

I want this... I NEED this

Offline iknowreal

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 20:50:18 »
This is the best 75% out that has features as well as value. It's so hard trying to build a keyboard part by part when it takes months even almost a year for a single part. If the group buy is starting in Q1 I can only presume that it won't be in hands till q3. The whole group buy thing is still very knew. My understanding is it's a super quick on the draw thing and once it's sold out it may never come back for 5-6years or on the aftermarket where it will be taxed 100-$200 more in price depending on rarity. Initially thought that if there is 400 units for sale and you git the 400 that they would then instantly start the distribution process regardless of anything but there does seem to be a process.   

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 21:25:30 »
Since joining the hobby, almost nothing has made me go 'I need this and cannot miss it' with the exception of the J0-1 remake (which I was lucky enough to join) and the Cajal45 (not so lucky)

This is the third running board that has made me feel that way.

I don't know if it's the skyline on the weight or just how well the clustered arrows fit with the perfect spacing on the top right corner between f-row, knob and bezels; but, god damn have you got me with this one dude.

Props on a beautifully designed board, I'll be definitely be trying my best to join  :p

Offline Grog

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 22:18:46 »
Been following this for some time now. Is 460 the price now or this the old one?

$460 is the current price.

Offline Grog

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 22:27:43 »
This is the best 75% out that has features as well as value. It's so hard trying to build a keyboard part by part when it takes months even almost a year for a single part. If the group buy is starting in Q1 I can only presume that it won't be in hands till q3. The whole group buy thing is still very knew. My understanding is it's a super quick on the draw thing and once it's sold out it may never come back for 5-6years or on the aftermarket where it will be taxed 100-$200 more in price depending on rarity. Initially thought that if there is 400 units for sale and you git the 400 that they would then instantly start the distribution process regardless of anything but there does seem to be a process.

The aim for this is to have the groupbuy sometime around February-March and then shipped out around June or July. So much quicker than you might typically see on some boards.
These are sent to be manufactured after the groupbuy ends, which is pretty typical for most keyboard groupbuys, rather than being an in-stock item.

Hope this helps.

Offline r00dy

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 14:21:14 »

Sorry for the confusion on the post, I forgot to edit the original pricing estimate out. Yes the base price of the board not including tax or shipping will be $460 USD.

As Grog mentioned above, this is a groupbuy so there will be a delay for manufacturing, qc, and shipment (projected 3 months at the moment). We're hoping that the aftermarket tax isn't too much considering the quantity but we're not opposed to rerunning the design if it becomes super popular later on. Really appreciate the support!

Submitted!

I want this... I NEED this

Since joining the hobby, almost nothing has made me go 'I need this and cannot miss it' with the exception of the J0-1 remake (which I was lucky enough to join) and the Cajal45 (not so lucky)

This is the third running board that has made me feel that way.

I don't know if it's the skyline on the weight or just how well the clustered arrows fit with the perfect spacing on the top right corner between f-row, knob and bezels; but, god damn have you got me with this one dude.

Props on a beautifully designed board, I'll be definitely be trying my best to join  :p

Thanks, glad to have you on board. As a side update and thread bump, we're adding 25 more units to EU, CA, and Asia (75 units each) to bump the total quantity for 575 worldwide. We also heard back from the factory and it appears that the prototype has been machined and we're just waiting on the annodization now.

Offline Muiju

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 21:00:46 »
im in!
its yo girl

LZ CLSm | mech27v2 | DC60 | E7-V1 |  x1.1

lubed filmed Tealios <3

Offline r00dy

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 15:20:59 »
im in!

glad to have you on board. We've got some progress pics to update people while the prototype is being anodized.

Artisan Knob Prototypes progress pics from KeyLabs:

259939-0

259941-1

The colors from left to right are gunmetal, nickel, copper, and brass and the plan is to infill the top of the knob.

Some plate materials that we're exploring in the prototype:

259943-2

Offline iknowreal

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 10:39:26 »
im in!

glad to have you on board. We've got some progress pics to update people while the prototype is being anodized.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

The colors from left to right are gunmetal, nickel, copper, and brass and the plan is to infill the top of the knob.

(Attachment Link)

This is pretty exciting are we mixing and matching with our boards or will this be on a separate kit?

Offline i luv chuletas

Re: [IC-2] Paragon – 75% gasket mount w encoder | Artisan Knob Progress Pics
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 11:05:16 »
The knobs look great!

Any chance we can have a non in-filled option as well? I'm far keener on the clean aesthetics of the polished brass, or copper, on a board like this.

Offline MadBinton

• 40/45/65/75% user
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 14:20:46 »
Oohh, a thicker sheet of Polycarb or Carbon might just be right for this!

I'm fearing 3mm brass will be fairly stiff, but probably luxurious sounding, but I personally would love either of those two materials.

Good to see you are exploring that, really hope it makes the cut in the GB. I do feel like some other offering just blindly included plate materials at times... (no proto with each etc)

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 15:10:54 »
I've never designed a board before, but I see it mentioned frequently on GH/MM/Discord about avoiding side mountain tabs. Can you comment on your decision to include it?

Offline rondg

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 15:44:05 »
im in!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can we buy just the knobs?

Offline PusaCat666

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 04:33:55 »
In for this! Hoping to get my first and only custom keeb.

Offline r00dy

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 15:58:07 »
im in!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

This is pretty exciting are we mixing and matching with our boards or will this be on a separate kit?

By mixing and matching I'm assuming you're referring to the knobs? The artisan knobs are independent of the board (you'll get one with the base kit at $460) and then have the option to pick up the artisan knob from KeyLabs (similar to how the sat75 rama collab knobs were sold).

im in!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Can we buy just the knobs?

You should be able to buy the artisan knobs independent of the board but the knob is 1mm smaller than the knobs on most other boards like the Sat75. You might have a larger gap between the board and knob with some and the plate might show through although I'm not exactly sure to what extent since we haven't tried it.

The knobs look great!

Any chance we can have a non in-filled option as well? I'm far keener on the clean aesthetics of the polished brass, or copper, on a board like this.

Yeah the base option will be a non-artisan knob without the infill. We're still ironing out the details but you can definitely expect at least one knob without an infill but in the exact same shape (minus the indent on the top for the infill).

glad to have you on board, if you haven't already, join our discord for the latest updates and leaks!

I've never designed a board before, but I see it mentioned frequently on GH/MM/Discord about avoiding side mountain tabs. Can you comment on your decision to include it?

Keebwerk ran some plate analysis and determined that it was ideal to use the 3mm plate with the gasket implementation as shown right now. Our gasket implementation is not as focused on plate flex as we have a 3 mm plate which already reduces plate flex substantially. We thought about it and decided that the side gaskets can be optional (you don't have to insert them if you don't want to) but the option exists.

Oohh, a thicker sheet of Polycarb or Carbon might just be right for this!

I'm fearing 3mm brass will be fairly stiff, but probably luxurious sounding, but I personally would love either of those two materials.

Good to see you are exploring that, really hope it makes the cut in the GB. I do feel like some other offering just blindly included plate materials at times... (no proto with each etc)

We just got the plates yesterday so here's a nicer pic of the 3mm pc, cf, and pom plates that we ordered. We probably won't offer another plate material in the gb because the IC and responses are all over the place in terms of preference which makes pricing hard for us to determine but we will open source the plate files and are looking into running a plate gb after the board runs.

260121-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 16:01:04 by r00dy »

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 11:21:36 »
Well done on this!

While seemingly inspired by other boards, def looks unique imo. And kudos on taking community feedback in stride.

Will be watching this :)

Offline Aspherical90

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 19:23:54 »
Well be perfect if this board also includes per key RGB option since it is VIA compatible, for the extra "Pop" comparing to other 75% KB currently in the market/GB.

Offline PusaCat666

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 00:22:08 »

glad to have you on board, if you haven't already, join our discord for the latest updates and leaks!

I just got in! Cant wait for the groupbuy already!!!

Offline r00dy

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 16:30:01 »
Well be perfect if this board also includes per key RGB option since it is VIA compatible, for the extra "Pop" comparing to other 75% KB currently in the market/GB.

This is from the original IC (albeit quite burried): "We believe that RGB lighting detracts from the elegance of the board." I heavily dislike rgb and its associated aesthetic so it won't be offered on the Paragon.

I just got in! Cant wait for the groupbuy already!!!

Well done on this!

While seemingly inspired by other boards, def looks unique imo. And kudos on taking community feedback in stride.

Will be watching this :)

Thanks!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 12:06:17 »
Ah damn, I got excited when I saw the CF plate being shown off.

Any way we can convince you otherwise to offer at least the CF as an option during GB???

Other plate materials (with FR4 being an exception) are rather easy to procure with the file plate, but CF is another matter entirely.

CF, gaskets, and thicc ass cases are a combination for the heavens, please offer it up!  ;D

Offline KidsForCthulhu

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 01:39:41 »
Thats freaking sick cant wait till this is done and ready for that pre order!

any chance for more sizes?

Offline r00dy

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:10:56 »
Thats freaking sick cant wait till this is done and ready for that pre order!

any chance for more sizes?

More sizes as in different form factors or as in different layouts? Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to by sizes in this context but glad to have you on board!

Ah damn, I got excited when I saw the CF plate being shown off.

Any way we can convince you otherwise to offer at least the CF as an option during GB???

Other plate materials (with FR4 being an exception) are rather easy to procure with the file plate, but CF is another matter entirely.

CF, gaskets, and thicc ass cases are a combination for the heavens, please offer it up!  ;D

This is an interesting dilemma we had because the first IC was all over the place for plate material. What we do know is most people want a brass plate but the rest of the plate distribution results were pretty equally spread across pom, fr4, pc, and cf. The issue for us is guaranteeing a plate pricing for the different plates and then having a few of them not meeting MOQ because of the board quantity cap itself. As a result, we're definitely going to open source the plate files at the very least and we're considering hosting a plate gb after the board runs in some of the more popular materials if there's enough interest. Worst case I can refer you to the factory who made the cf plate and you can get the one-off made. We're still waiting on the proto anodization at the moment but we'll try to get some pics of the unfinished Paragon in the next few days. In the meantime though, we have some renders on GMK Shanshui on a black Paragon courtesy of NathanAlphaMan:

260577-0

260579-1

260581-2
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:12:31 by r00dy »

Offline FoxFire007

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 23:52:56 »
Are those last photos in the main post FE version? If so, how to score one when released?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk