Author Topic: Need help with troubleshooting PCB after spillage  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Sardath

Need help with troubleshooting PCB after spillage
« on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 09:21:06 »
Hi! I'll preface by saying I know little about keyboards :)

A day ago I spilled some water on my K70 TKL, so I opened it and let it dry for a day. Fast forward to today, everything works fine except for my left Ctrl key. I then further cleaned the keyboard with some rubbing alcohol, and there doesn't appear to be any gunk on it, but the Ctrl key still doesn't work.

Next I tried to short the pads (if that's what they're called) and used Switch Hitter to see whether the switch was compromised, or if it's something wrong with the PCB. Here's a picture of what I found out.

Basically if I short 1 and 2, I can actually get an input for Ctrl, which is great. If I short 1 and 3, I get an input for the Win key - so I guess that pad 1 is working fine. I tried shorting the pad circled in blue, but I got 0 inputs from it, regardless of what combinations I used, which leads me to believe the problem lies with that one.

At this stage, what should I do next? Could I do something specific to try to fix that pad? Or could the problem still lie somewhere else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Need help with troubleshooting PCB after spillage
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 11:09:24 »
Hi

You've done all the hard work and if everything you say is true just solder a wire between blue and 2 (or the empty hole along the trace to the right of 2 so you don't need to bend it round the components) and it should work good as new :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sardath

Re: Need help with troubleshooting PCB after spillage
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 11:17:34 »
Thanks so much for the reply! I'm not particularly good with soldering, but I'll give it a shot!