Author Topic: Another thread about dyeing plastics  (Read 113126 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Another thread about dyeing plastics
« on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 10:44:30 »
I know that this dead horse has been beaten into the ground, but I am still perplexed and convinced that there has to be a way ......

PBT keycaps, such as those found on the Model M, can be dyed beautifully, as I finally proved. RIT dye powder, temperatures just under boiling, and waiting at least 10-20 minutes are required. RIT powder is getting harder and harder to find, and the liquid simply did not work, not at all, for me, anyway.

Now what I really want to do is to dye ABS keys, and, ultimately, an ABS case.

I know, I know, the case is a real challenge, but I know that I can make a tray out of heavy aluminum foil, and regulate the temperature in the oven pretty well with a cooking thermometer.

So the basic question is: if a person is careful enough, is it possible to dye ABS without damage, or is the required dye temperature simply higher than the plastic deform temperature?

The second choice would be a spray can dye, but I would rather do a soak if there is ANY way.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.