Author Topic: Does your keyboard addiction get you into trouble at work?  (Read 13137 times)

Offline NormaJean

Does your keyboard addiction get you into trouble at work?
« on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 23:22:34 »
I've started working full time quite rencently and pretty much at the same time I found myself looking into computer periferal as I am sitting in front of a computer all day long.

When I first came in to my office with my Das Keyboard Silent edition (cherry brown), I was feeling quite self-counscious, it is quite noisier and a little flashier than the rubber dome keyboard the company supplies.

I have had a few remarks from my cooworkers about the speed at which I type since I brought it in the office but no complains (I don't type that fast but I guess the sound is impressive to people who haven't been exposed to mechanical keyboards)

The question is have you ever been into trouble at work because of your addiction for keyboards? It can be about the noise or the looks of your favorite boards you've brought to your work environment

:D

Offline Tony

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 23:34:37 »
As I am typing in Colemak layout, our colleagues are quite mystified and ask me why I have to move away from Qwerty. They think that's the only keyboard layout available.

Our IT admin finally decided to let me handle my computer on my own after discovering I have done "something strange" with the keyboard.

Colleagues ask me for tips on how to touch type too. They admired my Filco, but do not touch type, so they don't need such expensive keyboards.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 March 2011, 23:42:39 »
If by trouble you mean everyone else wanting their own Model M, resulting in a continuous din of people madly typing away, then...yes.

I have 7 office mates (academia), 3 of whom use a Model M, one of whom uses a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry browns, 1 who insists on using her laptop keyboard, and the other 2 we don't like, and let them suffer with cheapo keyboards from Dell.

It sounds beautiful in there when everyone is there and typing.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline drsauced

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 00:14:09 »
Well, this is funny you should mention it.  I was just thinking about this today, my computer has been BSOD constantly, but only when I surf to GeekHack, Youtube (to listen to keyboards), or that other site about keyboards.

The spooky and amazing thing is that the BSOD went away when I actually got to work.  Totally rock solid the rest of the day.  Weird.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline manfaux

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 00:27:27 »
Quote from: theferenc;308271
If by trouble you mean everyone else wanting their own Model M, resulting in a continuous din of people madly typing away, then...yes.

I have 7 office mates (academia), 3 of whom use a Model M, one of whom uses a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry browns, 1 who insists on using her laptop keyboard, and the other 2 we don't like, and let them suffer with cheapo keyboards from Dell.

by "beautiful" you mean "really annoying" right?

Offline wanabe

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 00:35:50 »
you should record that for us

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 06:25:23 »

That's awesome, I wish my cooworkers were as receptive and fun as yours. People at my office are mostly like.

This is not the keyboard that was provided by the company is it?

and I'm all like

No, it's not

Then they walk away uninterested. My work environment is pretty peculiar tought, I wasn't expecting anything more. I'm just really glad to have my keyboard at my desk to comfort me.

Most of the time I feel like it's the only thing I like about my job, the comfort and stability of knowing I have cherry browns waiting at my desk.

No, I'm not going to cry.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 06:48:14 »
Everyone I let use my computer is like "I like your keyboard!"
(Realforce 87U).

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 06:52:48 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;308380
(Realforce 87U).

I can get how a tropre would be a crown pleaser in an office, I'm contemplating replacing my keyboard at work with one, but they're so expensive I prefer rocking it at home.

Two weeks ago I was helping out the receptionist by taking her desk for a half hour and when I came back to my office one of the older employees was eating a soup a few inches away from my Das, that's when I realized I would never have a Topre in this office.

Offline Jasonszion

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 06:54:32 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;308380
(Realforce 87U).

You are one brave soul.

Steelseries 6Gv2 (Cherry Blacks) <<<On desk for gaming...
Compaq MX 11800 
DAS old style w/cherry blues

Offline Surly73

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 07:01:55 »
Not yet.  No one has said anything negative about the racket of my model M, but I have an office and a decent amount of open space outside of it before the next offices/cubicles begin.  In closer quarters I probably would have been shot already.  

In case the office layout is shuffled, I have to have a quieter but nice keyboard on the backburner.  I agree that a Topre is a significant "risk" at the office considering the cost.  By comparison just try to kill my model M...  (please don't actually try)

One problem is that I'm getting into the idea of tenkeyless for home, but want/need 101/103 at the office since I used the numpad a reasonable amount.  This means that I can't just buy things I'm interested in and easily swap between locations.  If I decide to get a Realforce for home (where quiet is more important) and then want to bring my Filco/browns to the office it won't have the numpad.

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 07:05:25 »
^^^ I totaly feel you, I was faced with the same problem recently and kinda regret not buying a fullsized topre instead of the tenkeyless I now have. On the upside, I see it as an opportunity to get a new keyboard for the office down the road.

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 07:53:39 »
Quote from: Surly73;308386
Not yet.  No one has said anything negative about the racket of my model M, but I have an office and a decent amount of open space outside of it before the next offices/cubicles begin.  In closer quarters I probably would have been shot already.  

In case the office layout is shuffled, I have to have a quieter but nice keyboard on the backburner.  I agree that a Topre is a significant "risk" at the office considering the cost.  By comparison just try to kill my model M...  (please don't actually try)

One problem is that I'm getting into the idea of tenkeyless for home, but want/need 101/103 at the office since I used the numpad a reasonable amount.  This means that I can't just buy things I'm interested in and easily swap between locations.  If I decide to get a Realforce for home (where quiet is more important) and then want to bring my Filco/browns to the office it won't have the numpad.

You can always buy a separate numpad. This would at least be my preferred solution if I needed a numpad as much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Twitchy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 08:00:48 »
"Does your keyboard addiction get you into trouble at work?"

No, but people think do think it's weird to pay so much!
Stuff
Filco Majestouch FKBN88M/UKB2
Topre Realforce 91UBY
Razer Imperator + Razer Vespula[/COLOR]

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 08:31:29 »
I have used all of my keyboards at one time or another at work. They all think I am crazy to spend so much on so many keyboards. Although they joke at how loud my keyboards are, none has told me to replace them. I always tell them to let me know if my keyboards bother them. I guess it’s because I did ask that they don’t want to say anything. As long as no one says anything I will keep rotating my keyboards.

On a side note, a coworker in department adjacent to mine just bought a Razer BlackWidow. He said that like me he knew that not every keyboard was created equal. He just did not know that mechanical keyboards were available. He likes his so much that he started to bring it to work yesterday.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 09:04:29 »
I had my second Filco shipped to my work and I didn't have a problem getting it, but they wouldn't let me take it out of the building when I was leaving (internship, etc.)

So the secretary in my office FedEx Next Day shipped it to my house instead. Hooray, efficiency.

Other than that, it's more "oh, why did you buy your own" than trouble.

Offline 3one5

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 09:04:38 »
My Manager likes to stop by my office and ask me to type something so that he can hear the keyboard.  He usually chuckles and walks away.  It's rather entertaining.  

As a Sys Admin with a understanding manager we get away with quite a bit.  I have my own desk here in the office because I preferred what I had at home more.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 09:11:25 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;308441
I had my second Filco shipped to my work and I didn't have a problem getting it, but they wouldn't let me take it out of the building when I was leaving (internship, etc.)

So the secretary in my office FedEx Next Day shipped it to my house instead. Hooray, efficiency.

A friend at the office and I got Unicomps this last fall and brought them to work.   Our supervisor couldn't believe we would buy keyboards to use at work with our own money (the fact that we want to take them with us when we leave didn't seem to sink in either).  

People here are used to going through the correct channels for work materials, but the person who does our purchasing would not sign off on a non-silent keyboard.

So no trouble, just confused looks from everyone behind there mac with there scissor switches.
Erlang your pants off

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 21:33:54 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;308441

Haha! that's funny, how cheap people are sometimes. I spend about 4-5 hours a day touching a piece of plastic, that piece of plastic better be one I like using and not some cheap old pos that has oil from 5-6 past employees.

I find that buying a quality keyboards that is a pleasure to use is just like buying a good mattress. I like to live my life to the fullest and I belive quality keyboards bring a great deal of enjoyment to my life.

On that note I will go and purchase another keyboard because buying keyboards makes me happy.

:DDD

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 22:47:10 »
So at work 95% of people are on Macbook Pros or Macbook Pros with Apple keyboards plugged in. I just ordered a Leopold Blue for work because I got used to typing on my Filco Brown at home and now the scissor switches literally hurt my fingers. Am actually quite nervous about the potential noise problem, though it could mean a free upgrade to a side office. :)
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline spdx

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 March 2011, 23:23:05 »

What a wonderful world!!!

Offline drsauced

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 00:51:00 »
Quote from: Jasonszion;308384
You are one brave soul.

If there's anything I can do to promote mech keyboards, it's let everybody type on one.  So far, so good.  My boss used my Filco (with Browns) yesterday to do a bunch of password stuff.  He liked it a lot.  I usually let students reset their own passwords on my keyboard (it's easier than trekking down to the lab to do it), which means many of them have now typed on a Model M, and so far, just one on the Filco.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline Surly73

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 07:08:09 »
Quote from: NormaJean;308845
Haha! that's funny, how cheap people are sometimes. I spend about 4-5 hours a day touching a piece of plastic, that piece of plastic better be one I like using and not some cheap old pos that has oil from 5-6 past employees.

I find that buying a quality keyboards that is a pleasure to use is just like buying a good mattress.

While I hadn't previously obsessed about the inner workings of keyboards to the point that I pull the keycaps off of anything I encounter (thanks, geekhack) for decades I've felt that quality peripherals are a good use of money.  A lot of users obsess over getting the absolutely latest $500 GPUs, achieving that extra bit of overclock, going to water cooling etc.... and then use a $1 mouse, $5 keyboard, $20 speakers and $100 monitor.

The peripherals are how we interact with and experience our super-l33t machines and a quality peripheral will often last through several other component upgrades.  I've always used high quality displays, for instance, and it makes a huge difference to the whole experience.

The somewhat unique problem with keyboards is that they are so subjective and you tend to collect them.  You can only use one at a time but you never want to let 'something special' leave your possession.  When they start getting expensive (like Topres) this can become a problem.  Generally people don't have a collection of 5 displays that they rotate through all the time...

Offline dracaXL

• http://www.technickal.org
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 08:08:01 »
Quote from: Surly73;309037
While I hadn't previously obsessed about the inner workings of keyboards to the point that I pull the keycaps off of anything I encounter (thanks, geekhack) for decades I've felt that quality peripherals are a good use of money.  A lot of users obsess over getting the absolutely latest $500 GPUs, achieving that extra bit of overclock, going to water cooling etc.... and then use a $1 mouse, $5 keyboard, $20 speakers and $100 monitor.

The peripherals are how we interact with and experience our super-l33t machines and a quality peripheral will often last through several other component upgrades.  I've always used high quality displays, for instance, and it makes a huge difference to the whole experience.

The somewhat unique problem with keyboards is that they are so subjective and you tend to collect them.  You can only use one at a time but you never want to let 'something special' leave your possession.  When they start getting expensive (like Topres) this can become a problem.  Generally people don't have a collection of 5 displays that they rotate through all the time...

Well said!
Filco Majestouch Linear (i.e. MX Blacks) | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns) | TVS Gold Bharat (MX Blue) | VorTex KBC Poker* (MX Red)

Intel Core i7-2600k | Gainward GTX 580 GOOD | 8GB XMS3 DDR3 RAM | Gigabyte P67-UD4 | Asus Xonar Essence ST | NZXT Phantom | KRK RP5 G2 w. Wharfedale SW150

*pre-ordered

Offline tarc

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 11:11:40 »
absolutely latest $500 GPUs, achieving that extra bit of overclock, going to water cooling etc.... and then use a $1 mouse, $5 keyboard, $20 speakers and $100 monitor..

Yes, and usually change their processor every six months.

It always puzzled me why people don't show more interest in peripherals, especially when computing has become so widespread.

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 March 2011, 12:57:47 »
It mostly results in strange looks. Especially when I was bringing in my Otaku Tenkeyless. The IT people always get a kick out what keyboard I'll have at work that day.

I've let a few other people type on it, and the few that spend a lot of time typing (and can type over 40wpm since they don't peck and hunt) saw the appeal, but wanted to have the shape of the Microsoft Natural. Understandable to want ergonomics like that for sure.

Normal people just tend to be kind of impressed and a touch annoyed by the speed and sound of the typing, even though I really only do 80 wpm or so on average. Unless I am using my DX board, then they are just confused by the size, and I always have it on me so it spares me the rather grimey keyboards provided at work.

And Surly73, well said. My mind is often blown at how cheap people will be over things like a keyboard or monitors while dropping a ton on RAM or something. And now that I have eIPS at home and truly comfortable mouse, I can't really justify it being worth saving $50 dollars or something for a less comfortable user experience.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2011, 12:59:55 by Azuremen »
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline spdx

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 March 2011, 16:07:54 »
A lot of users obsess over getting the absolutely latest $500 GPUs, achieving that extra bit of overclock, going to water cooling etc

If the job is intensive in computing like number crunching, graphic processing..., then it probably makes sense.

.... and then use a $1 mouse, $5 keyboard, $20 speakers and $100 monitor.

which impacts the efficiency interfacing between human beings and computers. It may make sense if it's a server but not a good idea for a user reads and/or types a lot.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 04:57:15 »
At one workplace My boss asked me to stop using a model M because it Was too noisy.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline elef

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 10:27:31 »

I have 7 office mates (academia), 3 of whom use a Model M, one of whom uses a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry browns

That must sound like a battle fought with a dozen machineguns. Excellent!

Offline spdx

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 10:36:52 »
Quote from: ricercar;311993
At one workplace My boss asked me to stop using a model M because it Was too noisy.

Sorry to hear that. Same here. Mine was a mx brown. What's your alternative for Model M at work?

Offline speakeasy

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 11:30:10 »
I work in a laboratory and can only use the keyboards that are built into the analyzers. Not only are they awful to begin with, but they're covered with protective film to make them extra mushy. When I was still in Chemistry at least they had Keytronics and didn't have the protective film :(
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 11:50:44 »
My boss actually likes the mechanical board. He sometimes call my colleagues to ask if they can ear me "working".

Sesame seeds keeps me out of troubles
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline theferenc

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 12:03:19 »
Quote from: elef;312100
That must sound like a battle fought with a dozen machineguns. Excellent!

Most excellent!
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 12:16:04 »
Quote from: NormaJean;308264

No, but just because we dont use keyboards at work, just hammers and angle-grinders! :D

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 20:42:41 »
My co-worker now has one of my spare old Ms.  I have another (with a distinctive customization).  If I ever win the lottery, or get a "here's a blank cheque, outfit the office right instead of piecemeal from Best Buy" moment, I'd stock it with Unicomps or possibly ASK-6600s or MKB-135Bs (I just can't justify Filco/Leopold money, and Rosewill, who knows when they'll be in stock)

The boss makes fun- "he can only type so fast due to the keyboard" when the real answer is "I destroy them in six months if they aren't solid durable ones"
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Keylamity

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 22:02:58 »
Last week I showed a couple coworkers my new Topre 103U-UW.  I even let them type on it a bit to see how it feels...if they only understood the honour.  Anyway, I made the mistake of telling them how much these things cost.  I think they think I'm a geek now.  I've lost my coolness.  I went from :smokin: to :yo: or even :der:

Show them, let them try it, whatever. Just do not tell them the price and everything will be ok.  Sigh.

Offline Tony

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 22:33:55 »
Quote from: Keylamity;312453
Last week I showed a couple coworkers my new Topre 103U-UW.  I even let them type on it a bit to see how it feels...if they only understood the honour.  Anyway, I made the mistake of telling them how much these things cost.  I think they think I'm a geek now.  I've lost my coolness.  I went from :smokin: to :yo: or even :der:

Show them, let them try it, whatever. Just do not tell them the price and everything will be ok.  Sigh.

Yes, low profile is required. You do not have to tell colleagues how much you enjoy your life, or your keyboard. That irritates them.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 March 2011, 22:37:13 »
Quote from: Tony;312465
Yes, low profile is required. You do not have to tell colleagues how much you enjoy your life, or your keyboard. That irritates them.

I drink to that... If colleagues ask. I say look it up. They usually don't.
Why would normal people look at the price of a keyboard?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline zirb

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 04:08:43 »
I am a bit scared for "the moment" i bring my own keyboard in. I've just ordered an G80-3000 for my work and bought it myself to take it with me once i leave, as mentioned a few times in here.
I just don't know how they will react : /

Offline wmtx

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 10:26:10 »
Funny, at my former company G80-3000s have been issued as standard keyboards for a while.

Offline zirb

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 12:22:46 »
@wmtx hum yeah they look like standard but i guess simply the fact that i bring my own is a bit nerdy itself for casual keyboard-users?

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 12:25:54 »
Try to play it off as a clean freak. You don't know who has used it before YOU ;D

Offline wmtx

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 12:53:29 »
Quote from: zirb;446755
@wmtx hum yeah they look like standard but i guess simply the fact that i bring my own is a bit nerdy itself for casual keyboard-users?

It could look strange, but then again it depends where you work. Probably that's the reason my former company had them in the first place!
By the way, while not exactly bringing my keyboard to work, I had a couple of them delivered to my work address and so people saw me going home with the one or the other strange keyboard before. I think they get used to it after a while. :-P

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 16:15:53 »
Pretty funny story.. I went into a auto zone to get a wheel grip for my car. When I went to the front of the store there were 4 registers all with red switches or from what I could tell cherry keyboards with the card swipe.. and she was hammering on it as if it was some ****ty rubber dome.. it was like watching a horror show except I didn't show any expression on my face I just went on and sighed. :L
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 16:37:11 »
A lot of ppl whine about my kb at work... and at university.... I am a cherry MX Blue user... I am considering buying an MX Browns board because of this. Sad :/

Offline Lanx

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 06 November 2011, 22:17:23 »
Quote from: laffindude;446758
Try to play it off as a clean freak. You don't know who has used it before YOU ;D

get a keyboard vacuum just and be just like GATTACA to freak ppl out too.

Offline zirb

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 02:16:04 »
Quote from: laffindude;446758

i think that method is going to be used, n1

Offline domin8r

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 04:54:45 »
Before I started my current job I asked if I could bring my own keyboard.. When they found out I might bring a Model M to work they offered to buy me keyboard I would like instead.
Now I use a Das keyboard with blues.. still a bit noisy ofcourse but I think everyone is used to it by now ;)

I've also brought my MX11800 with Ergo Clears to work and while they thought all the custom keycaps were weird, they liked how it typed..
But I can't pry them away from their horrible scissor-switch Apple keyboards for some reason..
Compaq MX-11800, Ergo Clear/Brown/Ghetto Red
Ducky 1087XM
Laser SX-25 , White SMK
Black Dell AT101W
IBM Model M 1390120 (\'86)
Cherry G80-1000, Panda Clears

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 06:01:20 »
Quote from: zirb;447166
i think that method is going to be used, n1
Report back on how it goes.

Offline zirb

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 07:04:34 »
Quote from: domin8r;447207
[...]Now I use a Das keyboard with blues.. still a bit noisy ofcourse but I think everyone is used to it by now ;)
[...]
wow... they bought you a Das? I think you're one lucky guy!

Quote from: domin8r;447207
[...]But I can't pry them away from their horrible scissor-switch Apple keyboards for some reason..
Infidels! :D

Offline Lanx

« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 07:34:54 »
word of advice, never "force" your views on keyboards on ppl, it might make you seem like a snob or a supergeek, either way just let sleeping dogs lie, of course if they come over and are curious let them try it out and a tiny bit of education, treat them like a wild animal.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 07:38:05 »
meh i got ridiculed more than enough when i collect my keyboards from the delivery guy on work.. :\
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 15:33:02 »
Heh, this is quite funny to read. I myself do not work (high school), but I'm sure that when I bring my Zenith I will get lots of weird looks... Especially since it pings an angelic choir that I find to be ever so pleasing :angel:

Offline Lolcakes

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 16:55:58 »
Quote from: Lanx;447238
word of advice, never "force" your views on keyboards on ppl, it might make you seem like a snob or a supergeek, either way just let sleeping dogs lie, of course if they come over and are curious let them try it out and a tiny bit of education, treat them like a wild animal.

QFT. I have experienced that myself and I even don't talk to ppl about keyboards anymore. The real life is fool of noobs unfortunately :/

Offline sinis

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:14:16 »
Addiction is a hard word. On work I do not have problems because I am a student and I do not carry around any boards. My girlfriend likes my new keyboard and the caps so far :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 17:24:04 »
my fiance' just looked at my desk and said "is that another new keyboard, why are they getting uglier and uglier?" it's a kinesis i've had for a month?

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 07:36:27 »
Quote from: Lmnr;446866
Pretty funny story.. I went into a auto zone to get a wheel grip for my car. When I went to the front of the store there were 4 registers all with red switches or from what I could tell cherry keyboards with the card swipe.. and she was hammering on it as if it was some ****ty rubber dome.. it was like watching a horror show except I didn't show any expression on my face I just went on and sighed. :L

Most of the ones you find at auto stores are Cherry Clears.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 09:20:14 »
They treat them like ****ty membrane ones though.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline zirb

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:28:22 »
so since my G80-3000 with clears finally arrived i brought it to work..
funny thing is that i asked my boss last week if it would be okay to buy a new mouse (old one sucked). he offered me any microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard combination on which i said that i will bring my own keyboard but the mouse should be okay. from reflex i added that it would be kind of a "ergonomic" keyboard, where the keys have better feeling xD

he only said "O.K." and agreed that i can go buy a new mouse *hrhr*
so far noone else even noticed that i have a different keyboard, too much thoughts put in that beforehand...

so i have now a Logitech G400 and the cherry with clears (which i love by the way)
everythings fine

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 10:33:16 »
Quote from: Lanx;447238

This.  I just bring my new stuff and don't make a fuss.  The only time anyone has noticed, recently anyway, is when I got my white Filco.  In that case it was just because it was white.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 11:09:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;457428
This.  I just bring my new stuff and don't make a fuss.  The only time anyone has noticed, recently anyway, is when I got my white Filco.  In that case it was just because it was white.

My new keyboards only get noticed if the post has foreign characters on it.  Trying to explain to people the reasoning for ordering a keyboard from Taiwan is lost on most.  Otherwise we are just characterized as the "programmers with loud keyboards" in the office.
Erlang your pants off

Offline N8N

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:52:57 »
Quote from: harrison;312229
the thing is, for most of us that use keyboards/computers at work, these are our tools.  a mechanic isn't going to wrench on a car all day with a socket set bought from walmart, he needs a quality tool that he can count on and be comfortable with to make his living.  it's no different with my keyboard, mouse, and headset.

Exactly!

The funny thing is, I'm (tooting my own horn) a fairly decent amateur mechanic and also fairly handy around the house... my roommate has aspirations to be the same.  I keep trying to tell him that e.g. Craftsman is the minimum acceptable quality for mechanic's tools but he really wants S-K, Proto, etc. and similar comments regarding tools for home repair but he doesn't listen and keeps buying crap at Harbor Freight...  his rationale, "well, if I break it, I can buy two more for the cost of one of your tools."  Yeah, but mine *don't* break, and they don't exude that aura of cheapness and don't piss me off every time I use them, either.

He's still using the keyboard that came with his PC :)

The other thing that I find amusing is that so many cheap, crappy tools come from the same geographic area that makes such nice keyboards...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 22 November 2011, 15:55:33 »
i've got a Unicomp M, type on it constantly and nobody ever says diddly, then again I have a whole area to work with on my own, and don't spend a considerable amount of time typing in a short period.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!