Author Topic: Browns vs. Clears  (Read 5103 times)

Offline StaCT13

Browns vs. Clears
« on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 16:39:35 »
Hi guys, I'm about to buy my first mechanical keyboard (as oppossed to finding them), and have a slight problem. I was planning on getting a TKL Leopold from EK with browns, but I recently heard they're going to sell limited editions with clears. Now, I mostly game, but I want a tactile switch (so no blacks for me). The only reference I have is to complicated ALPs black, and I have used complicated whites before.
I've heard that browns have a pretty weak tactile response, but I also know whites are sometimes criticized for feeling to similar to rubber domes.
Any ideas?

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline Exoverture

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 16:47:38 »
browns don't have a weak tactile response, maybe to those who come straight from a rubber dome and just pound on the keys bottoming them out, it would seem then that they have a very little bump. Once you get use to them, it's very pronounced.

Offline slueth

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 16:50:20 »
Clears are more weighted so i find that I don't bottom out on them and stop at the tactile bump.

Offline J888www

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 17:16:14 »
It all depends on your own preferences, you can only decide for yourself.

I personally prefer Clears as I tend to pound the KBD with my cumbersome paws.
Secondly, it would probably be much easier to resell the Clears and recoup some of your cash if you ever decide that it is not suitable.
Thirdly, get a second/third/fourth hand MX Brown KBD (less rare than Clears) to try before purchasing a new KBD.
Fourthly, I heard from a little ****y ducky that there's another forum (Shush Shush by name), have a bag full of different mixtures of switches for people to try, on condition that they forward this bag to the next recipient after trying and writing a review of the switches.
Fifthly,..................I forget what I was going to say..............as I only have a small cranium.

Edit: Ahh yes, I was going to say that I only logged-in to see if there's any comment on Stevie Jobsie and do not take my opinions too seriously as I am very bored.

Edit again: To OP, Welcome to GH.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 October 2011, 17:25:45 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline BababooeyHTJ

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 18:58:56 »
Coming from Alps MX browns are going to feel very light and not very tactile. Over time I actually started to notice the tactile point on MX browns more and more. I also tend to bottom out less and less. I never went out of my way to not bottom out either. You just grow very accustomed to your switch of choice over time.

Due to the heavy spring clears don't really feel any more tactile to be honest.

Offline Lanx

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 23:35:00 »
i do NOT recommend clears for any sort of gaming, the "bump" is too much and i find it immensely difficult to double-tap with ergo clears. (when diablo3 releases i'm switching back to browns)

Offline Clickey

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 October 2011, 03:25:23 »
I find browns and clears to FEEL similar in terms of tactility, except that clears are stiffer. Once you try ergo clears, browns do have a relatively weak tactile response.

I have gamed many a game with ergo clears (500apm spam early game in sc2) and never had a problem with double taps. The whole "bad for double taps" thing is almost as overblown as ping, just as it is for cherry blues. Both switches are fine for double taps, the extra tactility only slows the recoil by a negligible amount IMO.

But your opinion is the only one that matters, when it comes to your keyboard, so go out and try them and see what you prefer.
"we are on Geekhack not Lazy****" - The Solutor

Offline F u r u y á

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 11:25:01 »
I've tried MX Brown from a Filco (for about 2 months) and MX Clear from a Cherry POS (for about 2 weeks).

MX Brown: awesome feeling if you light touch type. The very slight feedback is enough to make you know for a fact that the key was activated. This is particularly useful for fast double-taps (either for repeated letter that occurs while typing or for double-tapping in SC2).

MX Clear: It sucks. I hated them very much in the first minutes and I hated it just a bit less after two weeks. They're just too hard to press (you simply can't light touch type it) and it has a very mushy feel (because of the stiff springs?). Oddly enough, it didn't affect very much my typing and gaming, but sometimes I missed a key here and there because of the stifness. Of course, this is a used Cherry POS keyboard, and brand new MX Clear will probably feel crispier (but even more stiff?!!!). And yeah, it's impossible to bottom out MX Clear unless you consciously do it.

MX Clear is simply not for me. And I don't think that MX Brown feels like rubber dome. They're very light and smooth tactile switch.
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline itlnstln

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 12:07:38 »
The only non-rubber dome switch that I have tried that feels even close to a rubber dome is a Topre.  That's because it makes use of a rubber dome.

Now, that's not to say that feels like the average rubber dome, but it's similar.

Offline Bongoojingie

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 15:16:08 »
I've never used browns, so I can't comment on the tactile feedback of the different switches.  However, I will say this:

When I made the switch from MX Blacks to Ergo Clears, I absolutely loved the feel of them, even for gaming, because of the lighter spring.  The tactility isn't too much for me, but I suppose that can be personal preference.  I would caution you against the use of regular clears, because that stiff spring will just make each key stroke feel so much more demanding for gaming.  I think if I ever wanted a linear again it would have to be MX Reds.
Realforce 87U Black Uniform 30g | Filco TKL Black Ergo Clear | Filco TKL White Ergo Clear | Filco TKL Linear R Limited | Custom Dell AT102W w/ White ALPS | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | TypeNow Solid Blues | SteelSeries 7G

Offline F u r u y á

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 17:53:40 »
Quote from: F u r u y á;429486
I've tried MX Brown from a Filco (for about 2 months) and MX Clear from a Cherry POS (for about 2 weeks).

MX Brown: awesome feeling if you light touch type. The very slight feedback is enough to make you know for a fact that the key was activated. This is particularly useful for fast double-taps (either for repeated letter that occurs while typing or for double-tapping in SC2).

MX Clear: It sucks. I hated them very much in the first minutes and I hated it just a bit less after two weeks. They're just too hard to press (you simply can't light touch type it) and it has a very mushy feel (because of the stiff springs?). Oddly enough, it didn't affect very much my typing and gaming, but sometimes I missed a key here and there because of the stifness. Of course, this is a used Cherry POS keyboard, and brand new MX Clear will probably feel crispier (but even more stiff?!!!). And yeah, it's impossible to bottom out MX Clear unless you consciously do it.

MX Clear is simply not for me. And I don't think that MX Brown feels like rubber dome. They're very light and smooth tactile switch.

Update: switched back to Browns. They're feeling incredibly easy, comfortable and nice. I must say that if you want to get better, try to practice in an harsh enviornment (MX Clear); when you go back to the normal environment (MX Brown), you'll feel that the world is just easier. Simple rule. :tongue:

Offline Lanx

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 17:56:33 »
did you ever try ergo-clears? the clear spring to me is just so "nasty" i can't stand that spring.

Offline F u r u y á

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 18:24:58 »
Actually, ergoClears were the solely purpose of those Cherry POS boards I got. But after cleaning the whole thing (PCB, case, every single keycap), I decided to give the Clears a try. When the laziness leaves me I'll mount the whole board with ergoClears.

I assembled one single ergoClear and I was shocked that it could be impossible to fast double-tap that thing (it looked like upstroke hysteresis!). I hope I can get used to the double-tap thing, I don't want another two weeks of suffering.

Offline Lanx

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 19:32:51 »
i have issue double-tap ergo clears to the point that i label it near impossible, but i don't game on my pc. but clear springs really do suck.

Offline F u r u y á

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 20:06:32 »
Exact same experience.

It's funny how this is completely subjetive. Us two here hating the hell out of the Clears and the next thread (Leopold MX Clear) with tons of people salivating.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 20:33:50 »
+1, I tried clears and didn't like it because of the springs. Ergo clear on the other hand is awesome.
Keyboardless

Offline Lanx

Browns vs. Clears
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 21:36:55 »
Quote from: F u r u y á;430635
Exact same experience.

It's funny how this is completely subjetive. Us two here hating the hell out of the Clears and the next thread (Leopold MX Clear) with tons of people salivating.

did those ppl try double tapping? prolly wondering why they be dying so fast!