Author Topic: Help identifying some Unicomp 122 key terminal emulator boards  (Read 2261 times)

Offline mr626

Help identifying some Unicomp 122 key terminal emulator boards
« on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 01:33:17 »
Hi all,

I'm trying to work out if a couple of boards are buckling spring or not. They are apparently brand new from Unicomp. Relevant part / model numbers are as follows:

-Unicomp 122-Key PS2 Terminal Emulator Keyboard UNI0T52
-Unicomp Terminal Emulator PS2 Keyboard NEW AK278AA-ABA
-Unicomp 122-Key Emulator PS2 Keyboard NEW 953604-010

The first two look like this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28366[/ATTACH]

The last one looks like this:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 28367[/ATTACH]

Any ideas?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 09:22:56 »
I know the first is not, as I have one. The latter two I think are not, as I've emailed that seller before and been told none were (at the time). I don't recall if those particular model numbers were listed, though.

I can tell you though that it's a really nice rubber dome, for sure. And it can be converted to a buckling spring, or the controller used to swap into a non-working other model, etc. Basically, it's nice and quiet, or useful for parts.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline mr626

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 17:34:22 »
Ha, I was wondering if you would be the one to reply :-)

Yeah, I've emailed the seller previously but too be honest I don't think they are that interesting in providing useful information- at least that was the impression I got.

I suspected they weren't buckling spring, but I've seen the exact same model number(s) as shown above advertised elsewhere as being 'clicky' For example:

http://www.codemicro.com/store/product/AK278AAABA/New

I wish there was a good complete guide to Unicomp model numbers etc somewhere. Maybe I'll email Unicomp directly and ask them...
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 October 2011, 17:38:31 by mr626 »

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 18:28:40 »
Good luck with that one. Unicomp is a great company, but they can be seriously slow sometimes.

I'll try and remember to ask tomorrow when I call them about a question I asked nearly 3 weeks ago...
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline mr626

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 05:17:20 »
Well, I got a reply from Jim at Unicomp:

The easiest way is to remove a button and see if there is a spring or a rubber dome. Of the three part numbers you listed, the UNI0T52 is one of our rubber dome models. I do not recognize the other two part numbers. Generally, part numbers that end in 6 are buckling spring, models ending with a 2 are rubber dome.

I guess that's something about the part numbers at least.