Author Topic: Larger Key Rattling?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Wappo

Larger Key Rattling?
« on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 14:05:48 »
Hello!  I just got a Das Professional Silent (my first mechanical keyboard!) and I had a question about some of the keys.  Many of my larger keys (space, backspace, shift) are making a sort of rattling metallic noise and it only happens when I tap on the keys from the right side.  It isn't too bad, but I was wondering if this was normal.

I did a search and came to your key maintenance guide but not sure if this is the same noise because it doesn't sound like a squeak.  The noise happens when just touching/tapping the button (not pushing it down); if I keep some pressure on the button and push it, it doesn't make the noise.  It is like the keys are loose on the right side only.  If it is indeed a squeak issue, the post on the daskeyboard site about it being difficult to remove/replace the larger keys had me a little scared.

Offline Exoverture

Larger Key Rattling?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 October 2011, 14:12:57 »
I know what you're talking about, it bothered me as well. Not much info from others on it when I looked too.

I put some tape/thin plastic bag between where the larger keys go into the white "+" parts found on the stabilizers. This makes it fit a lot more snug, and will most likely make sure it doesn't loosen up a bit when putting the keys back on. Besides that, I put some WD40 on the bars and on the white part to make sure it wasn't friction causing the nasty noise/feel.

I completely eliminated it on my Backspace key, mostly on my shift key. Probably just gotta do some more WD40 on it or make it more snug. Rest of the keys are fine as well.