Author Topic: Key Remapper  (Read 2260 times)

Offline aynjell

Key Remapper
« on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 13:38:11 »
Hey everybody,

So I've switched to a left handed mouse. I'd say at this point I'm 100% capable of using a left handed mouse with no slow downs associated with my switch over. In fact the only part I'm having trouble with now is rocket jumping. I used to do it reflexively when playing with a right handed mouse but I've since lost it and I assume practice would resolve. Everything else I do as well or better so overall, worth the trouble.

HOWEVER, there are some games that aren't as remappable as others. Some games simply don't much care for you changing the key mappings at all. A big example and the one most on my mind is Fallout 3 New Vegas. In order to remap the keys in all the various menus, popups, etc., you have to go into a configuration file and remap every button's hotkey in that file. There's probably 50+ files with 2+ buttons each, some going to 4-5 or more.

That's a lot of work when all you want to do is play a ruttin' game.

Are there any good key remappers or maybe a solution to automate the process? Ideally a key mapper would be a good thing to have. basically, I want the razer blackwidow's functionality but for any keyboard. Any suggestions guys?

TLDR:

Problem: Remapping keys in _SOME_ games requires hours of effort or is not practical/possible.
Solution: I'm thinking that a program that lets me remap my keyboard would be nice. Ideally something that lets me turn it off and on. I basically want to to take the right side of the keyboard and slap it on the left side so that all the buttons translate positionwise.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline pyro

Key Remapper
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 14:00:31 »
I guess Autohotkey works for some games, but it's probably easier for you to edit configs than to learn a pseudo-programming language. Some games even respond to scancodes (what the keyboard sends) rather than remappings. The only way to solve your problem consistently, would be to get a programmable keyboard.

Nevertheless, you could also try to change Windows' key mappings via registry. Download and install Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, then run remapkey.exe, rearrange keys with drag and drop, save, reboot

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17657

Offline iratepr

Key Remapper
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 October 2011, 19:04:14 »
Autohotkey works very well.  I use it mostly to create macros for games that I can bind to any key.
I agree that the syntax is a little weird, especially if you want to do more advanced functions, but simple key remapping should be easy enough on the learning curve for most anyone.