Author Topic: Correlation between keyswitch type and typing speed…  (Read 4512 times)

Offline justin

Correlation between keyswitch type and typing speed…
« on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 01:36:23 »
I compared my typing speed and accuracy across four of my keyboards, and noticed there are significant differences.

I type slow, as of yet, but it's improving rapidly.

On buckling springs on a Model M, I get 41-48 wpm.
On an IBM KB-8923 with "good" rubber domes, it's very close, 39-42.
On an Apple Aluminum keyboard, it's about 35-40.

I haven't tested the previous gen Apple keyboard with the crappy rubber domes, but I suspect it'd be even worse than the Aluminum one.

Of course the noise from the M has me using the softer IBM board at night.

How do your typing speeds compare with different boards and switches?
How do the various Alps, Cherries and Topres stack up against the great M's buckling springs for speed and accuracy? What about laptop keyboards?

What are your thoughts and experiences? I think the switches definitely impact speed and accuracy for good or for bad.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 07:40:27 »
For me, the lighter the switch, the better.  I don't have any exact numbers (sorry, I am not as Geek as most of the others), but I can easily tell that I type faster the lighter the switch.  I also type faster on an ergo layout than I do on a regular layout, but that is a crutch more than anything, since ergo layouts prevent you from "cross-typing" by nature which is more efficient.

For me: Cherry browns > Alps > BS

Offline kyamei

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 07:54:09 »
I seem to type fastest with blue Cherry and Topre switches and the slowest with the Model M.  My accuracy is terrible on the brown Cherry Filco, but strangely it is perfectly fine on the Compaq MX11800 (if only the Compaq didn't have that annoying trackball...).  I also miss a lot of key presses on Model M's cause I'm used to using lighter switches.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline nvarsj

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 07:59:39 »
I type about the same speed on all my keyboards. Oddly though my accuracy seems to go up as the switch throw decreases. I type very accurately on my laptop keyboard (a thinkpad), more so than either my topre or blue cherries. I type the least accurately on the blue cherry.

Not to say I prefer the laptop keyboard though - it's much more pleasant and less fatiguing typing on topre or cherries. I think the accuracy difference may be because I type pretty fast (100 wpm) and having a small throw means less effort to register key presses. Technically it requires very light presses on the blue cherries as well because of the early click, but I still found myself making errors even after a couple weeks on it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2009, 08:02:16 by nvarsj »
HHKB2

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 08:03:20 »
Quote from: kyamei;113613
My accuracy is terrible on the brown Cherry Filco, but strangely it is perfectly fine on the Compaq MX11800

Funny you should mention that.  I type much better (faster and more accurately) on my Cherry G80 than I do on my Filco.  For me, I think it has to do with the lip on the front of the keyboard spacing the keyboard away from my wrist rest better than the Filco (which almost has no front lip.  Also, the keys sit lower on the Cherry than Filco.  I found that same comparison between the Dell AT-101W and the ABS M1 when I was using them.  They essentially have the same switches, but the Dell has a wider front lip and lower key height, and I would type faster on the Dell than the ABS.

Offline kyamei

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 08:07:51 »
Just tried typing on my laptop - terrible.  Went from ~90wpm to ~65wpm.  Tried on my Eee PC, it was even worse since the keys are smaller, typed around 55wpm.  It's probably partly due to the fact that I don't use laptops very often.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline erricrice

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 11:21:10 »
Strangely, I type fastest on BS and slowest on my Cherry Blues.  I am a very heavy typist by nature, so I believe for me having the increased tactile feedback really helps out on the BS 'boards.
I go from as high as 102 wpm to as low as about 75 on different 'boards.

BS>White ALPS>Blue Cherries>Black ALPS(Don't ask me why, I have no clue)
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 11:25:01 »
Quote from: erricrice;113668
Strangely, I type fastest on BS and slowest on my Cherry Blues. I am a very heavy typist by nature, so I believe for me having the increased tactile feedback really helps out on the BS 'boards.
I go from as high as 102 wpm to as low as about 75 on different 'boards.

BS>White ALPS>Blue Cherries>Black ALPS(Don't ask me why, I have no clue)

Actually, this is not uncommon.  Many folks here type faster on heavier switches.  For many people, BS are their fastest 'boards.

Offline erricrice

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 11:41:05 »
Yeah, most likely because of the increased tactile feedback as well, it reallllly helps to know exactly when you have hit a key.  The Cherries can be hard to tell when you're really flying, at least for me.

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 12:02:36 »
Depending on how you hit the keys:

Heavy typist: Heavier switches tend to be faster
Light typist: Lighter switches tend to be faster

For me it's something like Model M > AT101W > Model F > Scorpius M10

So that's BS > Black ALPS > BS (Capacative) > Blue Cherry
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 12:49:18 »
Like itlnstln, I tend to be faster with lighter switches. For now, I'm faster on my blue cherries than on any other switches. It would be interesting to see what it would be like once I get used to my brown Cherries Filco.

What keyboard suits who is highly subjective. But environment also plays a big role. For example, my ABS M1 keys will be sticky if I'm at home because I like a more humid environment, but not at work because it's dryer.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 13:05:56 »
Quote from: ripster;113717
Since Welly accuses me of always picking on ALPS users:

Show Image

Ripster: You are on the blue Cherries side, aren't you?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 13:14:40 »
Quote from: ripster;113724
I'm on lower part of the pic you can't see.

The picture name reminds me why I use both hands.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 13:23:46 »
The shorter the travel, the worse I type. If I'm on a chicklet or scissor switch keyboard my speed goes right down the drain.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 13:25:15 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;113728
The shorter the travel, the worse I type. If I'm on a chicklet or scissor switch keyboard my speed goes right down the drain.

True dat.  Short-throw keys screw with my rhythm.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 16:26:49 »
I am by far faster on my Model M's. Couldn't give you proper WPM scores, but I suspect that I am about 25% slower using the Wang (Pink Alps, insert joke here).

I think it's because I have used them for so long though (since 1993-ish), and have spent, in comparison, virtually no time on pretty much any other board.

I have however, converted a fence-sitter to "The Way of the Buckling Spring"

He's buying one of my M's off me at mates rates, so £10, and my keyboards officially owe me nothing... until the M13 arrives... :-(  

This place will have me more peniless than usual.
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline erricrice

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 16:29:32 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113729
True dat.  Short-throw keys screw with my rhythm.

My first computer was a laptop, so I actually learned how to type on scissors.  I used to be quite a bit faster on scissors than on a normal keyboard due to being able to slide my fingers more on the scissors, but now I'm quite sure I'm way ahead on my M(and I haven't used a laptop in a long time, so I can't really be sure)

Logitech G5[/FONT]

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 September 2009, 17:17:11 »
kyamei, also consider the effect that ergonomics has on your typing speed. If you're literally using your laptop on your lap, chance are it's not in an optimal typing position. If your typing speed drops by 30wpm in a short timed typing test simply because you're typing on a laptop, there's probably something else going on besides just the keyboard.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline cmr

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 17:11:18 »
i found an apple usb keyboard in charcoal (and its matching hockey-puck mouse) today while i was cleaning off my desk at work, and i thought i'd give it a try on typeracer.

i barely broke 80 wpm, down from an average of 101 wpm with my alps, cherry, and IBM boards.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 21:24:42 »
Quote from: cmr;114534
i found an apple usb keyboard in charcoal (and its matching hockey-puck mouse) today while i was cleaning off my desk at work, and i thought i'd give it a try on typeracer.

i barely broke 80 wpm, down from an average of 101 wpm with my alps, cherry, and IBM boards.

Yeah, those suck.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline Special K

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 22:14:38 »
I am slowest and make the most mistakes on black alps.  I've been trying to figure out why ever since I bought my AT101W, and I think it's a combination of two things:

1. The switches aren't really that tactile; there is just a region of high friction, and then you suddenly bottom out.  I think fighting that friction has the effect of slowing my typing down.

2. The keys just don't spring back up as fast as cherry switches.

I am fastest on blue cherries, and only slightly slower on brown cherries.  Brown cherries are nice, but I really like having the strong tactile feedback of the blue cherries.

My speed and accuracy with buckling springs falls somewhere between black alps and blue/brown cherries.  My main complaint with them is the annoying spring noises the keys make when you release them.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 08:41:34 »
Quote from: Special K;114622
I am slowest and make the most mistakes on black alps.  I've been trying to figure out why ever since I bought my AT101W, and I think it's a combination of two things:

1. The switches aren't really that tactile; there is just a region of high friction, and then you suddenly bottom out.  I think fighting that friction has the effect of slowing my typing down.

2. The keys just don't spring back up as fast as cherry switches.

I am fastest on blue cherries, and only slightly slower on brown cherries.  Brown cherries are nice, but I really like having the strong tactile feedback of the blue cherries.

My speed and accuracy with buckling springs falls somewhere between black alps and blue/brown cherries.  My main complaint with them is the annoying spring noises the keys make when you release them.

You should try white cherry switches if you have the chance, then. The blue switches have sort of a sloppy tactile point compared to brown or white switches, but the white switches have a more distinct tactile point.

Offline Special K

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 12:45:42 »
Quote from: timw4mail;114708
You should try white cherry switches if you have the chance, then. The blue switches have sort of a sloppy tactile point compared to brown or white switches, but the white switches have a more distinct tactile point.

Hmm, I always thought the blue cherry switches had a very distinct tactile point.  I wonder what the white cherries would be like.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 13:43:46 »
Quote from: Special K;114784
Hmm, I always thought the blue cherry switches had a very distinct tactile point.  I wonder what the white cherries would be like.

It's difficult to describe how different it is, but since the tactile mechanism isn't doing double-duty to click, it's much more concretely defined.

With the springs from the blue switches, the whites might be my favorite switch. (I find the browns just a bit too light).

Offline shrap

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 18:26:49 »
For me, ergonomics and familiarity trump the hell out of keyboard switch type. I've spent most of my life on a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, so your ancient keyboard layouts are incredibly uncomfortable.

Omnikey Evo >> MS Natural >> Unicomp Spacesaver >> Filco Tactile

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 19:14:16 »
Quote from: shrap;114901
For me, ergonomics and familiarity trump the hell out of keyboard switch type. I've spent most of my life on a Microsoft Natural Keyboard, so your ancient keyboard layouts are incredibly uncomfortable.

Omnikey Evo >> MS Natural >> ...

Both of those fail to address the idiotic slant of letter keys on the left.
Epic failures as examples of ergo keyboards really, at least in that aspect.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2009, 19:21:40 by Rajagra »

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 22:31:18 »
Quote from: ripster;114893
Tim, just to get technical for a sec aren't you talking about the White Cherry Copies from the Chicony?  Sounds like they are growing on you.

No, I was talking about genuine non-click Cherry white switches.

And no, the copies aren't that much better than the blues, just more force.