Author Topic: spanish (ES) layout "findable" keyboard? / switch advise  (Read 2684 times)

Offline ptm56

spanish (ES) layout "findable" keyboard? / switch advise
« on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 16:57:42 »
Hola everyone, I'm new around here. I've accidentally discovered this site while searching for a good mechanical keyboard to buy and I must say "Wow, you guys have a lot of 'keyboard knowledge' stored in here!" I'm very impressed.

I'm typing this on a "chepo" membrane Samsung Pleomax PKB-7000X (It's garbage but still better than most logitechs I've owned and way cheaper too) and I want to replace it with my first good keyboard in what? years? decades? well, since I got rid of my IBM M series a lot of years ago. What was I thinkin' about? Well I was just a kid by then. The thing is that it's ridiculously difficult to find a mechanical keyboard nowadays at local stores, but in internet too. This two are basically everything I've found:

Steel Series 7G: It looks nice and all, but too pricey for me, thank you
G80-3000LPCES-2: Uhm, still pricey but way better. Maybe, maybe, worth.

I've read somewhere in this forums that both this keyboards use black cherry mx switches. This are listed as 'non tactile', 'clickless' and 'linear'. I don't know how they will feel but people around here (and other forums) seam to prefer blue and brown switches. I'll try to explain how I use my keyboard:

My longest writing sessions are coding (C and html/css mainly), but I also need to write some long "normal texts", 50% of them in spanish, 30% catalan, 20% english so a layout non-spanish won't suit my work. This is the exact layout I'm looking for -> Spanish (Spain) or ES_es. This are the regional letters I need: ñÑçÇ·ÁÉÍÓÚáéíóúÀÈÌÒÙàèìòùüï

I can write at a decent speed, around 85wpm in spanish, but without the correct technique. I use mainly middle and index fingers, thumbs for space bar, ring fingers are used only for outer keys, except shift, ctrl, enter and backspace which are the only keys hit by my pinkies. Oh, and I'm the kind of person that hits the keys with "confidence" if you know what I mean.

I will also use my new keyboard for playing games, specially fps and rts, so it needs to work well in this situations too.

Finally, like I said I liked my IBM keyboard back in the day but now I work mainly at night, so the click sound might end up being anoying for the persons living with me.

This last reason leads me to think that blue cherrys and similars are not my choice. So... with all the information I gave you, what do you think?

1.-Do I buy the G80-3000LPC or do I try to find a spanish keyboard with brown cherrys?
2.- Which ones do you think suit best my needs? Alternatives?
3.- Do you know of any dealer who offer different international layouts of their keyboards?
4.- Thoughts? All kind of income is welcome

Thank you very much for your attention.

Wishes,
David
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 September 2009, 18:05:46 by ptm56 »

Offline huha

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 September 2009, 19:14:04 »
While you can type on linear switches, I don't really recommend it. They aren't worse than rubber domes for typing and the stiffness of black MX switches makes not bottoming out actually easy, but the lack of feedback is mildly irritating. You don't seem to want clicky keyboards, which is okay, but makes the search much harder. Browns aren't commonly available in Cherry's cheap products (some high-end keyboards feature them, though), so your only option would be clears.
The corresponding model number is G80-3000LQCES-0 or G80-3000LQCES-2. Clears are supposed to require more force than browns, their tactility seems to be praised by those who happen to have them.

Speaking of layout: Do you really need to look at the keys? Keyboard layout is entirely managed by your operating system, so it doesn't depend on what's printed on the keycaps. If you don't need to look, you could as well order a German keyboard, which will most likely be reasonably cheap.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline stevster

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 03:03:09 »
I have the same problem with the Italian layout, also after finding this site :)

I ended up buying (for 5 euro each) a used IBM Model M and two used Extended Apple Keyboards (the first and the second model), mainly for testing them, and unfortunately I liked them!

So I've searched for modern mechanical clicky keyboards with Italian layout but I've found none.

I've asked for the Cherry G80-3000LSCIT-2 but it must be ordered in quantity (68 keyboards!) and 8 weeks wait time!
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2009, 03:08:41 by stevster »
IBM Model M 1391404
Apple Extended Keyboard
Apple Extended Keyboard II
Filco Majestouch

Very few tactile mech keyboards are available in Italian layout...