Author Topic: My Unicomp Opinion  (Read 6886 times)

Offline Great Hierophant

My Unicomp Opinion
« on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 12:01:28 »
On the Vintage Computer Forum, I wrote in response to a post noting that Unicomp had been profiled on a segement of NPR's All Things Considered.  This was before I had discovered the existence of geekhack.  Here is what I wrote then:

I have had a Model M from IBM and one from Unicomp. The Unicomp Model M was a USB model. I bought a USB model so I wouldn't have to worry about the large current draw of the Model M on today's so-called PS/2 port. It also has good sized two Windows and one Menu keys.

Today I am regretting that purchase and wish I went with pure IBM. Who needs Windows keys? Ctrl + Esc works to bring up the start menu. Shift + F10 does what the Menu key is supposed to do. By inserting those keys, the Spacebar is shortened, and I like the longer spacebar. (Although the Spacebars of the 83/84 IBM Keyboards are too long for my taste.)

The Unicomp's build quality is not quite as good as the IBM's. The plastic feels a bit cheaper, the keycaps have ragged and poorly cut edges compared to the IBM's. The color of the keys (I bought a black one with grey keycaps are not uniform. The faceplate covering the LEDs is fugly compared to the brisk, simple IBM style. The cord is extremely thin and has protruded out of the case so much that I can see bare wire. Finally, the Unicomp USB keyboard can only register foru simultaneous keystrokes at a time while the IBM registers eight. (Press asdfjkl; all at the same time, the result should be seeing all eight letters semi-randomly. Press nine/four if Unicomp and you will lose alot of keys.)

Now my belief is that if the PS/2 keyboard port on a motherboard cannot provide the current to an IBM Model M, it is false advertising on the motherboard maker's part. I do not buy cheap, low end motherboards, and I expect that if the motherboard has a keyboard PS/2 port (and they all still do), it will work with the one, true keyboard. If worst came to worst, I would use a PS/2 keyboard to USB adapter.

I have, thanks to vintageibm, acquired what I consider the Holy Grail of the Model M's, one with a silver faceplate manufactured while IBM was still selling the PC/XT/AT line. I hope it will work with my IBM PC 5150, and if so, it will mean that this keyboard should be able to work in any true IBM PC Compatible.

Nice story though. Can anyone tell me if the 101 or 104 PS/2 keyboards from Unicomp suffer from the same problems?

I received no response regarding this post.  That Unicomp model was ruined when I spilled some wine in it, drain holes notwithstanding.  I do note that there seemed to be more exposed membrane than on an IBM machine.  Finally, the mechanism that keeps the USB PCB board in place consists of one small plastic hook which promptly broke.  $69 would have bought me a Model M on ebay that with a bit of elbow grease would have been far more reliable and durable that the ugly Unicomp.  

I know lots of members on this forum have strong opinions on Unicomp's products, but here is mine.

Offline Shawn Stanford

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 12:24:25 »
My daily driver at work is a BOSCOM-branded Unicomp 122 key. It's PS/2-plugged going through a converter to a USB port on a Dell Optiplex 745; absolutely no power problems so far. The keys are plenty springy and perhaps a little stiffer than my veteran Model M at home (which was my daily driver at work for 10 years). They keycaps do have some flash on them; but that's near the edges, so it's not bothering me any. They colors of the keys vary a tad, but I never would have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out (Thanks!). I don't care for the LED cover, but I don't spend a lot of time looking at it. The cord is nicely sized. It seems to be a 5-key rollover (a;ljd adfsk afk;l adfsk), but that's fine for work.

Anyway, that's my experience with my only Unicomp. I think they compare just fine to Big Blue and I would buy another without hesitation.

YMMV...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline lowpoly

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 12:43:19 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;114775
I don't care for the LED cover, but I don't spend a lot of time looking at it.

That's because you have a Boscom LED cover.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Rajagra

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 12:48:42 »
A lot of what you say is fair, but I've just received a 1992 UK IBM 1391406 and it doesn't seem to handle simultaneous keypresses any better than my Unicomp.

In your 8-key test, only 5 keys register.

If I hold down QW then I can't get A or S to register.

Edit> Just plugged my Unicomp in. Exactly the same result.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2009, 12:53:05 by Rajagra »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 13:12:03 »
I have not yet purchased a Unicomp keyboard, as I have an adequate supply of spare Model Ms for my current needs. However, I like the fact that 122-key keyboards and keyboards with APL keycaps are available from them, and I can't hold Unicomp responsible for Microsoft's introducing the Windows keys as a standard feature with Windows 95.

Thus, I wish Unicomp very well, even if I might be inclined to look first for something quieter and lower-priced if I were going to purchase a new keyboard with tactile feel, and that would likely mean something with ALPS-like switches.

A buckling-spring keyboard with Windows keys is something that can't be obtained from the used market at any price, and I wish that Unicomp would produce more products in that category. I am unhappy about their giving up removable keycaps, but in general that there would be minor changes to use currently-available materials or to control costs is something I would find understandable as long as any effect on quality remains slight.

It seems clear to me that Unicomp's main business is replacing units in IBM-dependent offices, which explains why they're generally not bringing out new designs in popular styles, yet they're producing old designs of relatively esoteric types.

If they saw themselves as a direct competitor to Topre or Filco, a 101-key or 104-key keyboard using the capacitative buckling spring technology of the Model F would probably have been brought out by them long ago - as I get the sense from some postings here that it is regarded as better. I'm pretty sure, though, that is a product they will never bother with, even if the space saver does come back.

Before the microprocessor revolution, keyboards had individual switches under every key, but most commonly the tactile characteristics of keyboards were still poor. Cherry, though, was making mechanical switches with tactile feedback back then, and the keyboard used in the 3277 display station, probably quite expensive to manufacture, had excellent tactile characteristics if I remember correctly. But I think that buckling spring is as close to the "ultimate" as most people are willing to consider these days.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 13:57:52 »
Really, in terms of quality-cutting, from what I understand, the most important things, are those that haven't changed in Unicomp's designs. The controller, casing, cables, and such are more cheaply made, but the mechanism is still hand-assembled.

I would definitely get a Unicomp, but I can't see how it would be different enough from my Model M to justify buying one.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Rajagra

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 14:03:24 »
Quote from: ripster;114793
Peel the Unicomp label off and reverse it.

Now it tells me to worship Satan.

Offline wellington1869

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 14:49:37 »
Quote from: ripster;114781
Although  there are plenty of reviews of Unicomps in the review section that echo the negatives of a Unicomp I do want to point out that the Unicomps actually tend to feel slightly BETTER than a typical Model M in terms of key feel.

lol in case anyone is new here, ripster will defend unicomp even as they close up shop and move to their italian villas. :)

kinda like how I will defend the fukkas I guess :)

tho i'd argue i'm a bit more objective. My unicomp endurapro is the board I always return to, so that should tell you something. At the same time, i've probably been the one on this site that has been the most harsh on unicomp as a company. They're sending the queen after me with a shotgun. Jim doesnt reply to my emails as promptly anymore ;)  

as I always say, I criticize because I love. :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline thousandstars

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 15:36:25 »
Quote from: Great Hierophant;114764
Today I am regretting that purchase and wish I went with pure IBM. Who needs Windows keys? Ctrl + Esc works to bring up the start menu.

Mac users. See more below in my link, below.

The Unicomp's build quality is not quite as good as the IBM's. The plastic feels a bit cheaper, the keycaps have ragged and poorly cut edges compared to the IBM's.

That's not my (limited) experience; as I describe in this Customizer review, the build quality seems unusually high. In addition, the Customizer is a boon for Mac users who need three meta keys, or for programmers who'd like a larger number of macro keys.

Offline wellington1869

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 17:50:59 »
Quote from: ripster;114877

(Welly, that looks like your Endurapro in the pic).

yea, well its trackpoint stopped working and the top row clacks a lot more loudly than the rest of the board ;)  Tho its still my daily driver ;)

My beef with unicomp isnt with bonnie ;)  Its with management that has proven itself to be one of the least creative in the business. But dont get me started on that ;)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline shrap

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 September 2009, 18:16:17 »
The problem is not that Unicomp makes bad keyboards. The problem is that Model Ms are such great keyboards.

N-key rollover issue: academic, do you mash five keys simultaneously and expect them to all register?

Windows key: I like mine, I've macro'ed the hell out of the sucker.

Build quality: I've had no functional problems with mine, but I agree that the plastics used by Unicomp aren't very pretty. But I didn't buy the keyboard because it looked nice.

Offline Great Hierophant

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 18:45:25 »
Actually, 8-key rollover only works when all the keys are on the same row in my Model M.  If they aren't the row then the number of simultaneous keypresses registered drops dramatically to 2-3.  

I second the opinion that Unicomp's designers lack creativity.  The Model M is a strong base upon which to experiment.  How about a true Black Customizer, one with black keys instead of metallic gray keys?  The IBM Trackpoint II Model M13 is an awesome looking keyboard and go for big $$ on eBay?  Why not make a replica?  Have a non-Trackpoint and 104-key options too.  

The cheapish plastics and questionable design choices of the new customizer's show a lack of professional quality that I believe tends to show they aren't ready for the big leagues.  I would certainly pay a little more for quality construction.  Ditto for the childish logo over the status LEDs.  The IBM design was spartan but eminently appropriate.  

I would retain the IBM brand if possible.  The general public know what IBM is, they don't know Unicomp.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 19:34:54 »
Quote from: Great Hierophant;115141
I second the opinion that Unicomp's designers lack creativity.  The Model M is a strong base upon which to experiment.

I will agree that they should look at improving their logo. (I'm pretty sure that the IBM name, or even the Lexmark one, is not an option. Lenovo was a unique situation, involving a lot of money changing hands.)

I can't really comment on the quality issue, although I see that most of the people here seem to feel that nothing essential has been compromised in the way of quality.

I do agree that Unicomp is not bringing out new designs. I don't think it's due to a lack of imagination or creativity as such. It seems to me that two factors are operating:

1) Tooling costs would be high for a new design. The model M keyboard is an integral design not unlike a membrane keyboard, as opposed to one built from discrete switches like those from Cherry or ALPS.

2) Like many companies, they wish to stay focused on their core market. Companies like Topre and Filco focus on individuals who are passionate about keyboards.

Unicomp's products are naturally of interest to that group, but many in that group already have all the Model M keyboards they need.

Given the selection of products they do have - keyboards not just for the IBM PC, but for numerous IBM terminals, and two basic versions of 122-key keyboard, one that uses standard Host Connected Keyboard scan codes, and another that behaves like a 101-key keyboard, with the extra keys sending key sequences compatible with IBM's Client Access/400 software - it seems that their niche market is corporate clients who need new keyboards for their pool of IBM equipment.

They make Point-of-Sale keyboards, but those appear to be regular keyboards with card or bar code readers attached, not keyboards with programmable keys.

I really wish they would make a product that would say "Buy me!" to me, or to the others in this group, and become a visible and well-known source for keyboards. But that will be difficult; their product is made in the U.S.A., and hence more expensive - so is it reasonable to expect them to succeed where others are struggling?

For example, I remember reading about the iOne Scorpius M10 as the "revival" of tactile feel mechanical keyboards... I can't find a local computer store that has it. I once saw a store with a Luxeed, but I haven't seen one again. If tooling up a new keyboard requires mass-market success to pay for it, well, I'm not surprised Unicomp isn't doing it.

Offline timw4mail

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 20:49:34 »
It is rather unfortunate that Unicomp doesn't have more market saturation, but then again, it's hard to compete with your own product. (More or less, anyway.)
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline ed_

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 23:37:50 »
The thing want from Unicomp more than anything else is individual BS switches that can be plate mounted.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 23:40:26 »
I wonder if the BS design would not be robust if individually packaged?  Maybe it needs an entire keyboard to absorb the force.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 00:09:42 »
Quote from: timw4mail;115153
It is rather unfortunate that Unicomp doesn't have more market saturation, but then again, it's hard to compete with your own product. (More or less, anyway.)

The days of finding cheap model M keyboards in thrift shops seem to be over, and prices on eBay and clickykeyboards.com, unlike those at thrift shops, aren't so low as to eliminate Unicomp from consideration.

But if they were competing with used model Ms, then the obvious strategy is to produce what you can't get that way. They're already doing that in one respect, making keyboards with the Windows keys added.

Why aren't they, for example, making a competitor to the HHKB? My conclusion is that they aren't doing this because they don't need to - they have the business they want and can handle selling replacement keyboards to commercial customers. So it's a mistake to think of their business plan as if they were another Filco or Topre, much as we might wish they were.

Offline Hak Foo

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 00:43:32 »
I can see a problem though:

What stops someone from selling a $39 122-key rubber dome terminal board?

How much of the commercial market is even aware of keyboard longevity and quality?  Not a lot, given that even the "fancy" business-grade PCs come with $12 keyboards.

Offline Qwertyuiop

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 01:25:49 »
Quote from: Great Hierophant;115141
How about a true Black Customizer, one with black keys instead of metallic gray keys? [...]

I would retain the IBM brand if possible.  The general public know what IBM is, they don't know Unicomp.
They originally made completely black Customizers; I'm typing on one right now.

Unicomp is a small company who no doubt doesn't have money to just throw around. Do you really think licensing IBM's name is feasible for them to do?
several Model M\'s, Apple Adjustable Keyboard

Offline Hak Foo

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 01:42:31 »
While not a full license, I'd suggest they ask for clearance to say things like "IBM-style" or "like the IBM model M".

From a search-engine-optimization standpoint, if you google "IBM Model M", they could benefit from a page titled "New IBM Model M-style clicky keyboards - Unicomp"

Offline huha

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 03:28:32 »
Ah, the Endurapro's trackpoint! Always in for a nice surprise.

Unicomp seem to have changed their manufacturing method for this as I was told, so the old one had to be really crappy indeed. And yes, it was, as I was suffering from this as well. Basically, the trackpoint module's short flexprint cable is just glued to the longer flexprint cable running to the controller. This joint will inevitably move, rendering the trackpoint non-functional. They're now heat glueing it, so this shouldn't be much of an issue for newly produced units.

The solution: Re-align the flexprint cables and use a piece of scotch tape or what have you to hold it in place. Works for me.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline Bollwerk

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 08:04:39 »
I think the masses just think, why buy something old looking?

Nostalgica is always fine but just rely on that? I don't know what's going on at Unicomp HQ and I don't know their finances but... they should at least have one keyboard ressembling something new. Something people would like to have, not just based on "wow, a new model M instead of an old ebay one..."

They could make commercials... maybe not something hollywood like, but just starting small in computermagazines or so. They don't need to post stuff like Razer or Roccat who claim giving you über-imba peripherals which are gonna win on its own.^^

Maybe just a regular nice looking 104-Keyboard. Throw some multimedia-buttons in and so on. Can't be that much of a deal. The benefits could be great.

The logo looks kinda cheap to me, but that's just my personal opinion. The only thing I know, I would rather have IBM printed on my keyboard than unicomp.^^
\\Cherry:
*G80-1800, G80-3700, G80-1000, G80-1501, G80-2550,
*G81-8308, G81-1800, G81-1000, G84-4100, G84-4700

\\Others:
*Chicony E8H5IKKB-5162
*Mtek FKF456K-104
*Filco FKBN87M/EB

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 10:17:15 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;115188
What stops someone from selling a $39 122-key rubber dome terminal board?

Given that many offices find Model M keyboards to be objectionably noisy, one would think such a product would be a roaring success!

I suppose the limited number of offices in which these keyboards are used are conservative enough to want exact replacements of their IBM keyboards, and they've found that tactile characteristics correspond to typing speed. (I can't understand why a version of the 122-key keyboard isn't being made by some enterprising company with the key between Z and the left shift moved to a more inoffensive position: but I suspect the issue is that the demand would be too small, most of those using this keyboard wanting the exact, compatible design.)

I take it Boscom is reselling Unicomp-manufactured product?

To my mind, a possible popular product would be a 125-key keyboard: 122 keys plus Windows keys, designed to switch between Host Connected Keyboard mode to 101-key keyboard mode with extra keys, so as to work in the best possible fashion both with 5250 emulation programs and with other applications - and not be tied to one particular 5250 emulation program or require keyboard setup.

But Windows is used to thinking that one particular type of keyboard is connected to the computer, and so for one program to behave as though a different keyboard is connected, even if the keyboard switches easily between modes, may not work well.

EDIT: Apparently, the BOSaNOVA 122-key keyboard is not a disguised Unicomp keyboard, as it claims to offer functionality in both the normal Windows world and with specialized connection software. However, "BOSaNOVA is now 10ZiG", and so the http://www.10zig.com result that turned up in my searches wasn't just a reseller.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2009, 10:38:47 by quadibloc »

Offline timw4mail

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 11:18:44 »
Too bad Unicomp won't make the Model F again...

Offline MANISH7

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 19:23:27 »
Unicomp's customer service is excellent and the people there are very nice.

Buckling spring is outdated technology. It has high risk for RSI. Topre keyboards are so overpriced it's downright insulting. Cherry Browns are the best by far.

Given how abundant the NIB blue label Model Ms are on ebay (and cheap at $45 including shipping) - I too would recommend them.

Unicomp's keyboards are pretty good too.

Offline msiegel

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 19:30:48 »
Quote from: MANISH7;115384
Buckling spring is outdated technology. It has high risk for RSI.

i'd be interested in seeing those statistics -- where did you find them?

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline wellington1869

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 19:41:44 »
Quote from: msiegel;115385

seriously. i find my wrists feel much better while using bs.

Offline wellington1869

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:02:23 »
Quote from: ripster;115388
Haha - Welly, nice avatar!

55th and 7th, baby :)  With my cell phone camera.  I was actually on my way to Five Guys on 55th and 5th. :)  Couldnt resist the shot :)

I'm gonna miss this city when they finally kick me out :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:06:16 by wellington1869 »

Offline MANISH7

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:02:50 »
Quote from: msiegel;115385

no formal study. just my opinion from observation, experience, and the stiff, high actuation force of the m keyboards.

Offline wellington1869

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:07:48 »
Quote from: MANISH7;115390
no formal study. just my opinion from observation, experience, and the stiff, high actuation force of the m keyboards.

well different (key)strokes for different folks I guess. My wrists hurt on light keys, funnily enough.

must be the, er, manly way that I type? ;-D

Offline bigpook

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 20:54:34 »
I think that the fukkas have a higher actuation point then the bs keys.
Thats just my opinion. Am typing on the model m mini and it requires less force to actuate the key and is also quieter then the fukka.
I have had model m's that had stiffer springs in them so I think it depends more on the model m that you are using. They all seem to be a little bit different.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Qwertyuiop

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 21:17:03 »
Quote from: MANISH7;115384
Buckling spring is outdated technology. It has high risk for RSI. Topre keyboards are so overpriced it's downright insulting. Cherry Browns are the best by far.
That's funny as I have RSI (CTS) which I've had since long before I ever typed on a computer keyboard. Buckling spring is the only thing I've found so far that doesn't make my hands hurt more, and for me Cherry Browns were the worst I've tried.
several Model M\'s, Apple Adjustable Keyboard

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 21:37:15 »
Quote from: wellington1869;115391
well different (key)strokes for different folks I guess. My wrists hurt on light keys, funnily enough.

I'm no expert on RSI, but as I touch-type, I have not yet found any difficulties related to typing. But I have to watch how I use the mouse, to be careful not to try moving the mouse short distances by bending my wrist. My guess would be that one-finger typing or two-finger typing is much more dangerous for RSI than touch-typing.

Offline timw4mail

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 06 September 2009, 22:10:36 »
I don't think I've ever really had sore wrists except with an old rubber dome keyboard, but Buckling Spring mechanisms seem to be more acceptable for me still, than the lower force Cherry browns, or the Cherry blues.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 September 2009, 06:33:18 »
Did you make sure that the trackpoint module was properly plugged into the keyboard's mainboard? Every once in a while they can become disconnected, which can cause them to stop working. This is also the case with the indicator lights on the M4-1 and M4's.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline huha

My Unicomp Opinion
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 September 2009, 06:40:10 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;115462
Did you make sure that the trackpoint module was properly plugged into the keyboard's mainboard? Every once in a while they can become disconnected, which can cause them to stop working. This is also the case with the indicator lights on the M4-1 and M4's.

According to Unicomp, the module can come loose, as it's just glued. They're now supposedly heat-sealing it. A short realignment and a strip of scotch tape should help.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)