Author Topic: Keyboard for my wife the gamer...  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Shawn Stanford

Keyboard for my wife the gamer...
« on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 18:01:54 »
...who has no particular interest in mechanicals? I've got my eye on a Cherry G80-1800 and a BTC 5100. She's currently happily in the process of killing a Creative Fatal1ty keyboard.

Thoughts?
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 18:03:59 »
Linear Filco?

Some games benefit from having a numpad, so I'd lean more towards the 104-key model as opposed to the Tenkeyless.

Link.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 18:07:33 »
Thanks, but she's all WASD and mouse. Losing the tenkey is not a problem. I see that Majestouch makes a tenkeyless. Is that a good board for gaming?
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 18:08:27 »
Then the Tenkeyless version might be a better idea, get the mouse closer in for better ergonomics.

Offline yode

• s a d b o y s
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 18:58:23 »
I'm currently a casual gamer, mostly fps + mmo, and was wondering if blue cherries were ok for gaming. I heard brown cherries were better, but why?
300 OTF GBE OBLOCK ON BD

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 19:07:13 »
Quote from: yode;116362
I'm currently a casual gamer, mostly fps + mmo, and was wondering if blue cherries were ok for gaming. I heard brown cherries were better, but why?

Brown cherries don't click, and the resistance is lower.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline yode

• s a d b o y s
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 19:10:08 »
Quote from: timw4mail;116373
Brown cherries don't click, and the resistance is lower.

what's the problem with clicking?
300 OTF GBE OBLOCK ON BD

Offline mike2h

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 19:28:53 »
graphic card sales are down due to 2 things: poor economy & last years ati & nv gpu release are not being pushed very hard by curent crop of games.
 outside of sli there is no real reason to upgrade your graphics if you have mid range or better card from curent gen or even last gen.
imo there is also this issue-  lack of compelling titles...

as far as the kb/switch thing goes i can offer no informed opinion at this point, my first 'real' kb :) is arriving friday- a deck frost tactile. it uses clear/white switches(suppossed to be a brown swich with a blk spring from what i have read here), these sound like a good compromise between gaming & typing. i will give my opinion once i have used it for a few days.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2009, 22:07:58 by mike2h »

Offline F2a

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 19:45:32 »
I am the person Ripster was referring to. For gaming get Black Cherrys. Search my posts for my comments yesterday.

Offline yode

• s a d b o y s
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 20:36:40 »
Quote from: ripster;116376
Casual gaming it doesn't matter what you use.  We had a pro gamer come through yesterday who swore by the Black Linear Cherrys but he couldn't type text on them - they are too stiff.

I stopped recommending particular switches to gamers since I'm just not gaming that much anymore on a PC.  Seems like I am not alone - graphic card sales are down 15% from last year and it's mainly low end junk.

so, blue cherrys wouldn't be horrible for gaming?
300 OTF GBE OBLOCK ON BD

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 20:57:48 »
Quote from: yode;116406
so, blue cherrys wouldn't be horrible for gaming?

They might be horrible for button-mashing games. The combination of the loud click and well defined hysteresis (the make point is lower than the release point) might make it tiresome.

Now, call me crazy, but would a FKBN87Z/EB-Y make a good gaming board? The XM switches might be disliked for typing, but games are an entirely different matter.

Offline alpslover

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 21:56:13 »
Quote from: Rajagra;116412
They might be horrible for button-mashing games. The combination of the loud click and well defined hysteresis (the make point is lower than the release point) might make it tiresome.

Now, call me crazy, but would a FKBN87Z/EB-Y make a good gaming board? The XM switches might be disliked for typing, but games are an entirely different matter.

the xm's are quite a bit stiffer than cherry blues so they may end up being more fatiguing, especially in button mashing games.

i've always played games with click tactile switch keyboards and have never felt that they didn't respond quickly enough or were tiring to game on for extended intervals.  with the exception of the model m - it felt like i had to try that much harder to get the keys to respond quickly, and as a result my fingers would get tired a lot sooner.  come to think of it, i'm not much of a fan of the m for typing, either.

Offline F2a

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 22:10:26 »
Blues are fine for casual gaming. I just played an FPS game with them now to check it out and they were fine.

Offline yode

• s a d b o y s
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 23:04:29 »
Quote from: F2a;116419
Blues are fine for casual gaming. I just played an FPS game with them now to check it out and they were fine.

sounds good man
300 OTF GBE OBLOCK ON BD

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 23:15:29 »
I was a dedicated FPS gamer in the past before my left hand started hating my gaming habit. My best FPS gaming days were spent with a keyboard with Black ALPS. I liked to play very fast paced one-shot one-kill type of FPS games and was never as good once my MicroConnectors board with the Black ALPS died.

I'm using a Filco Brown Cherry right now and haven't tried gaming on it at all yet. I just got it so I can't say how this would compare with a Black ALPS board, but I think it'd be inferior. I picked this board because of the low resistance, which I love most of the time, but I've found that it's hard for to me feel if I've pressed a key at times when I'm typing very fast. This will be a problem playing a game in which you need to scramble around a lot.

Quote from: ripster;116376
Casual gaming it doesn't matter what you use.  We had a pro gamer come through yesterday who swore by the Black Linear Cherrys but he couldn't type text on them - they are too stiff.

Yeah, I think having some resistance can really allow you to get a better feel for movement and control of a character in a game. Think of driving a car and driving a car that has some responsive steering with some resistance in it and driving a car with uber power steering in which a hard turn at 50mph feels no different on the wheel than a slow lazy curve at 10mph.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2009, 23:20:03 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 September 2009, 23:25:48 »
BTW, the only problem with the higher resistance switches is the strain it puts on your hand. The Black ALPS were a perfect balance between that responsive feel and low resistance for me so that I could play an hour here and an hour there without having wrist pain.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 00:43:06 »
hey, a use for my future $15 dell at last!

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 07:18:43 »
Okay, I'm in for the B-stock Filco...
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 07:20:02 »
Other than the Decks, any backlit mechanicals out there..?
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 09:50:56 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;116547
Other than the Decks, any backlit mechanicals out there..?

There are the Telxon 'boards, but they made by the parent company of Deck, so they're basically the same thing with a different font on the caps.

So really, no.  At least not that I am aware of.

Offline hamlet

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 10:51:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;116339
Then the Tenkeyless version might be a better idea, get the mouse closer in for better ergonomics.

I agree, a black switch ten key less will be perfect, it makes two hands closer. Also Filco has a small set of ASWD PBT caps with no print, so you will never worry about the print will fade or the raising of cap
Cherry G80-3k, G84-4100, Filco tenkey less, Plum86,

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 11:51:24 »
Quote from: itlnstln;116582
There are the Telxon 'boards, but they made by the parent company of Deck, so they're basically the same thing with a different font on the caps.

So really, no.  At least not that I am aware of.

hmmm... hate the deck font... might have to look

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 11:52:47 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;116648
hmmm... hate the deck font... might have to look

They're not much better.  The Telxon 'boards are pretty ugly.

Offline hamlet

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 12:16:36 »
i'd say TG3 is more like an artwork, some of my friends were killed by its layout
Cherry G80-3k, G84-4100, Filco tenkey less, Plum86,

Offline cmr

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 12:32:55 »
blue cherries are okay for gaming if you don't mind the clicking. my favorite gaming keyboard is my AT-101W.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 15:02:25 »
Well, she's not a professional or anything; it's just that her desktop keyboard at home is primarily used to idly surf the net (not a lot of keypresses there) or on WoW and LOTRO. She's happy enough with the backlit Fatal1ty with the scissors, but it's starting to fill up with crumbs. It still works well enough, but it's getting to the point where it's a little... Uh... Gross to use; since you can see the food detritus under the clear keys.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 16:05:21 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;116730
Well, she's not a professional or anything; it's just that her desktop keyboard at home is primarily used to idly surf the net (not a lot of keypresses there) or on WoW and LOTRO. She's happy enough with the backlit Fatal1ty with the scissors, but it's starting to fill up with crumbs. It still works well enough, but it's getting to the point where it's a little... Uh... Gross to use; since you can see the food detritus under the clear keys.

If the only factor is cleanliness, get a $10 rollup silicone keyboard. On the other hand, maybe a Model M or Unicomp board, with a silicone cover?
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 16:08:46 »
If she is happy with it why not just give it a good cleaning and give it back to her.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 16:55:02 »
Quote from: cmr;116671
blue cherries are okay for gaming if you don't mind the clicking. my favorite gaming keyboard is my AT-101W.

second time ive heard this, such good news, the AT-101W i ordered from ebay combined with the model m im about to get (combined with the hhkb that costs way more) sounds like ill have a pretty complete starter collection!

Offline cmr

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 16:59:05 »
oh my god, the backspace/backslash/enter on that TG3... close enough? i think i could use that...

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 19:15:16 »
Quote from: ripster;116820

Show Image
That had better be double-shot.

Offline Shuki

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 September 2009, 20:48:33 »
Cherry brown switches take some getting used to after using blacks in games. On my Filco with browns in games such as quake 3 I was missing some jumps at first as putting the same force (muscle memory) would activate the key at a different time than my Deck keyboard with cherry blacks. Although after getting used to it I must say I much prefer the browns on the Filco as the control button is easily pressed with my little finger without straining my hand. The keys are lighter which is nice for prolonged sessions. The space-bar is great as it is a light and so I am able to press it rapidly with accuracy in games. The other benefit is that it is far more comfortable to tpye on than my keyboards I have had with blacks.

Plus the Filco has the perfect layout for me, if I designed a keyboard it would look like this. Oh except with a pound sign instead of a dollar sign :)