Author Topic: Help needed: what's next? Pok3R clears? Realforce 87u 55g? greens?  (Read 4411 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
So my journey has been: Filco MJT2 (Browns w/o-rings and Vortex blank PBT) --> HHKB2 --> HHKB2 (White) --> KUL ES-87 (Clears; Ducky blank PBT's). KUL ES-87 is my main driver at home, Filco MJT2 at the office.

I actually like the Clears more than my Topre's. With Clears, it feels more like hovering over and across keys, while Topre's feel more like getting into each key like the feel of an grand acoustic piano.

Because I really cannot get acustomed to my Browns anymore (feel way too light and gritty compared to my Clears now, 45cn vs 65cn for the clears right), I would really like some advice on my next purchase.

I'm considering either a KBT Poker 3 with Clears (White), a Realforce 87-U and I'm wondering about MX Greens..

Any advice/tips? I'm especially curious about:
– How's the quality of the POK3R? Read about the PBT caps quickly fading and scratch issues on the base and plate?
- Would I like the plate-mounted Topre's on the 87-U more compared to the case-mounted HHKB2 or my Clears in my KUL?
– What about them greens? Some love for MX Greens? How they feel compared to Clears and Topre's?

A good KB is vital to me.. I code and write academic papers 10-12 hours a day (python, R, latex, etc.). I use VIM+Terminal+Tmux constantly. And I usually swap Caps with Control.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 January 2016, 05:47:56 by iLLucionist »
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Help needed: what's next? Pok3R clears? Realforce 87u 55g? greens?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 06:17:44 »
greens are in different level with topre or clears.
plate mounted topre are smoother and not so tactile as the case mounted HHKB
the quality of poker caps are crap just use an aftermarket caps and the pok3r is all good

I think you might just go the custom way if you have enough money but realforce 55g is good enouh

And if you code and write academic papers for 10-12 hours just don't buy the 55g realforce and mx greens cause they will make your hands hurt the HHKB is way to go if you type for a long period of time

I can advice you try modded vintage black :thumb:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 06:53:00 »
the quality of poker caps are crap just use an aftermarket caps and the pok3r is all good

I think you might just go the custom way if you have enough money but realforce 55g is good enouh

And if you code and write academic papers for 10-12 hours just don't buy the 55g realforce and mx greens cause they will make your hands hurt the HHKB is way to go if you type for a long period of time

Can you tell me something more about the greens? I'm very curious how they differ from clears and topre.
Why would you go with blacks? They're lineair right?

Offline sitch

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 07:21:13 »
 I see you have tried all types of switches except linear, Why not try smooth switches like gateron black/ vintage cherry blacks?  ;)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 07:46:39 »

Can you tell me something more about the greens? I'm very curious how they differ from clears and topre.
Why would you go with blacks? They're lineair right?
Cause if you mod them it will become so smooth its like your fingers are racing in f1 in a really smooth lane

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 07:50:27 »
I see you have tried all types of switches except linear, Why not try smooth switches like gateron black/ vintage cherry blacks?  ;)

Tried blacks once in an impulse buy.. was a steelseries. But coz of lineair I kept ramming and smashing bottoming out so hard that my fingers started to hurt. I guess linear is not really for me.. Of course you bottom out Topre as well, but still you have some feedback of the actuation point, which I lack with pure lineairs. But perhaps I'm missing something

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 08:18:12 »

Tried blacks once in an impulse buy.. was a steelseries. But coz of lineair I kept ramming and smashing bottoming out so hard that my fingers started to hurt. I guess linear is not really for me.. Of course you bottom out Topre as well, but still you have some feedback of the actuation point, which I lack with pure lineairs. But perhaps I'm missing something
Nah if you bottom out don't get cherry you will not enjoy it just stick with topre

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 08:45:49 »

Nah if you bottom out don't get cherry you will not enjoy it just stick with topre

Actually, I don't or less with my clears ;-) I do bottom out, but much less so coz I trained myself with my clears to stop pressing when I feel the tactile bump. But you'r right, completely bottoming out -> topre more comfortable.

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 10:40:08 »
Pok3r quality is fine.  People complain about everything.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 11:09:26 »
...snip....

I'm considering either a KBT Poker 3 with Clears (White), a Realforce 87-U and I'm wondering about MX Greens..

Any advice/tips? I'm especially curious about:
– How's the quality of the POK3R? Read about the PBT caps quickly fading and scratch issues on the base and plate?
- Would I like the plate-mounted Topre's on the 87-U more compared to the case-mounted HHKB2 or my Clears in my KUL?
– What about them greens? Some love for MX Greens? How they feel compared to Clears and Topre's?

A good KB is vital to me.. I code and write academic papers 10-12 hours a day (python, R, latex, etc.). I use VIM+Terminal+Tmux constantly. And I usually swap Caps with Control.

I have an 87-U 55g and love it, I really don't think you can go wrong there, great quality feel to that KB. If you like Clears (I sure do, I have a CODE with Clears), I bet you would like MX Greens - I don't feel that they are more fatiguing to my fingers.  I have a WASD V2 with Greens, and it just feels great, very similar to my Clears but with that extra click that adds to tactile goodness, making them feel crisper in a good way. However keep in mind Greens are very loud/clicky, so if you're thinking of bringing that into your office, anyone nearby may object. I have a hard time comparing my Topre to my various MX switches, they are so dissimilar, both having potential pros and cons.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 12:12:22 »
You actually sound quite happy with your current options, and based on your usage, I'm not sure you will find something better for your purposes. Of course, it's always fun to try new things, and on that note I'd avoid the pok3r with clears, since that's a known quantity to you.

Greens feel like a stiffer blue, quite literally, but if you've never tried a clicky cherry mx switch, you won't have a frame of reference. The mechanism is slightly different to allow for the click, and it requires releasing the key slightly to a certain point before it can actuate again... this is something the tactile and linear switches don't require. I find it's not that big a deal if you are used to tactiles, but it can be jarring to those that use or prefer linears. As already mentioned, there is of course the noise too. There's a good chance you would like the MX Greens, I think.

If you got a 45G 87U, I'm fairly certain you would dislike it. The tactility is quite subtle compared to the HHKB, as is the sound it produces. Since you find you dislike cherry mx brown now, 55G would probably be more suited for you.

If you'd be interested in making your own board, or even just desoldering old switches and soldering in some new ones, you can consider the Zeal's current GB for R2 Zealios. 67G or 78G may be interesting tactile options for you, based on your preferences.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 10:21:03 »
I'd make my own board with either pcb mount only or plate with switch top removal. That way you get the joy of building your own board and the easiness of changing out your switches anytime

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 15:22:58 »
I've done it.. I've orderd the Realforce 87UB Uniform 55G.. fingers crossed.

I figured I already have Clears but no Topre 55G. And I am somewhat hesitant to buy the POK3R because of some minor nuisances (firmware, no mac support, leds in layer 2-4 always on, powder coated, scratches, etc.).

I hope it will not dissappoint.. we'll see. Majority of stuff I could found concludes that 55G topre is what clears should've been. Oh well.. I can always resell the 87UB if I don't like it.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 20:19:02 »

I figured I already have Clears but no Topre 55G. And I am somewhat hesitant to buy the POK3R because of some minor nuisances (firmware, no mac support, leds in layer 2-4 always on, powder coated, scratches, etc.).

I hope it will not dissappoint.. we'll see. Majority of stuff I could found concludes that 55G topre is what clears should've been. Oh well.. I can always resell the 87UB if I don't like it.
And it will go downhill after this buys and you will crave a custom! Believe me bro

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 20:23:35 »
I think you will enjoy a 45g Realforce the best. It meets your requirements, isn't fatiguing, and will feel a tad heavier than the HHKB. As much as I love 55g Realforces, 45g would be significantly better for longer sessions without strain.

The Pok3r board and case itself are not bad, at least for the price. The keycaps suck.

I think you would if you are looking for something a tad heavier than the HHKB, but not as heavy as stock MX Clears

I like MX Greens, but for long sessions they become fatiguing quickly. They are very different from MX Clears and Topre.

The Realforce is often lauded as one of the best out-of-the-box experience keyboards...it's an all in one package. I don't think you would be disappointed. There is a dedicated switch (and keycap) for swapping Caps w/Control

You can try a board with MX Blacks, but I find most MX switches need to be modded in some way for optimal use...the only boards sold with Gaterons aren't quite on the same caliber for an OoB experience like the Realforce.

Offline arrowM

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 00:14:07 »
I absolutely adore my Realforce 87U 55g. It's got the most wonderful thock I have ever felt. I've also tried the HHKB and know what you mean about really digging into each key, but I don't really feel the same goes for the 55g Realforce. With the Realforce, I'd say it's more like my fingers happily bounce from one buttery smooth key to the next.

Also, don't listen to the weaklings who would have you believe that the 55g Topre will cause fatigue. If you can comfortably use Clears for 10-12 hours a day, you'll be fine.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 12:47:54 »

And it will go downhill after this buys and you will crave a custom! Believe me bro

Yeah... I saw the pok3r and I'm already considering getting into soldering to make my perfect 60% with custom controller. Then I read about lubed vintage blacks and clears and how they do not feel grainy and I'm already considering buying an extra clears board or blacks to lube 'm and see how it feels.

Oh well.. my GF does horseback riding and it is even more expensive :-P

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 13:39:01 »

Yeah... I saw the pok3r and I'm already considering getting into soldering to make my perfect 60% with custom controller. Then I read about lubed vintage blacks and clears and how they do not feel grainy and I'm already considering buying an extra clears board or blacks to lube 'm and see how it feels.

Aww.. retailer notified my that they ran out of black 87U's and I can only get a white one. What should I do... black looks so nice, white is so retro.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 16:49:57 »
Aww.. retailer notified my that they ran out of black 87U's and I can only get a white one. What should I do... black looks so nice, white is so retro.

I bought my 87UB (and 87USW) from Amazon Japan and had it reshipped via Tenso.  It was far cheaper (and faster) than buying from a stateside reseller.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 17:28:06 »

Elite Keyboards has black in stock for $205 + shipping.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 12:58:38 »

Thanks, I've ordered the black 55G one through EK. Can't wait! Bit more expensive for me as I live in the Netherlands... but hopefully worth it.

But now the wait... I'm really bad at waiting :-P

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 13:55:15 »

Thanks, I've ordered the black 55G one through EK. Can't wait! Bit more expensive for me as I live in the Netherlands... but hopefully worth it.

You'll love it when you get your hands on it. such a sturdy build i love mine. It's my baby.
"All is Well"

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 17:50:40 »
It is a good board  :thumb: you will not regret it

Offline 1391406

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 18:03:22 »

I have a white uniform 45g TKL and really, really like it. The feel and build quality are great.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven