Author Topic: Advise on A Model M  (Read 4377 times)

Offline ykno

• Frustration, Face Meet Keyboard.
Advise on A Model M
« on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:08:03 »
New to geekhack
and new to model Ms

so i just brought a model m and want some opinions on it and what you would say its worth or would pay for it so i can see if i paid to much before telling you what i paid for it

so here is some pictures

it does come with the converter thrown in free so make sure tahts included in ur price that u feel its worth

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 11:46:18 by ykno »

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline Touch_It

Re: Advise on A Model M
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 14:35:39 »
Assuming you like the ISO layout and it comes fully functional with a converter,  Id say ~$50 is a reasonable price.  Anything over that, I don't think it would be that great of a deal. 

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ykno

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 14:56:21 »
Assuming you like the ISO layout and it comes fully functional with a converter,  Id say ~$50 is a reasonable price.  Anything over that, I don't think it would be that great of a deal.

ye so £50 uk is a good deal then as we all know tech dosnt convert well from us to uk xD

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:27:30 »
That price is good if you like ISO-style (I love the "Return" instead of "Enter").

I gauge prices against the cost of a new Unicomp. Complete keys, unusual legends  ghetto converter box, I say it's good.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 18:24:19 »
I sell most UK model Ms I find that are in good condition for £40. They go quickly.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ykno

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 04:14:12 »
That price is good if you like ISO-style (I love the "Return" instead of "Enter").

I gauge prices against the cost of a new Unicomp. Complete keys, unusual legends  ghetto converter box, I say it's good.

it is the US layout with the long return button converted to the uk style with teh fat enter button ( but that dosnt bother me) maybe one day ill change it back to original before i come to sell it on if i decide to

I sell most UK model Ms I find that are in good condition for £40. They go quickly.

and really including shipping?

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 04:16:24 »

No.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 04:24:42 »
Also consider that this is a terminal keyboard (right?), but includes the converter.

So normally it would go for slightly less than a conventional Model M, but add extra cost for the converter
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ykno

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 04:30:49 »

No.

so about £50 with shipping

Also consider that this is a terminal keyboard (right?), but includes the converter.

So normally it would go for slightly less than a conventional Model M, but add extra cost for the converter

an ye but i think there a certian charm about it having to be converted but ye im gonna test it when it arrives and if i like it keep it if not sell it and buy a TK less mechanical of some sort

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline Myk!

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 05:02:47 »
At 50 GBP, that is already a steal price and it comes with a adapter.

My Model M arrived last Thursday with a free adapter too but I dont use it anymore because it causes random chattering. But if plugged on PS2 port, no issue at all.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 05:36:46 »

No.

so about £50 with shipping
Pretty much, shipping a Model M inside the UK is £13.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 07:20:09 »

My Model M arrived last Thursday with a free adapter too but I dont use it anymore because it causes random chattering. But if plugged on PS2 port, no issue at all.

Show Image

A terminal requires more than an "adapter"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ykno

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 07:44:59 »

Show Image

being?

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:12:57 »
being?

What you received with the keyboard, one of Orihalcon's cables with built-in chip, or a "Soarer's Converter" that you build yourself.

Go all-in and build one of these!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.msg1348717#msg1348717

Offline ykno

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:21:43 »
being?

What you received with the keyboard, one of Orihalcon's cables with built-in chip, or a "Soarer's Converter" that you build yourself.

Go all-in and build one of these!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.msg1348717#msg1348717

i have a Soarer's Converter thats with the keyboard a home built one that im going to clean up and update  a bit

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:28:24 »
Aw, ISO and you're missing a keycap cover :(

$70 USD seems like a steep price imo

Offline Myk!

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:39:19 »

Show Image

Oh! That is the reason why I am having problems when using the adapter.

I will give it a try later but this time I will plug it on USB2.0. I mistakenly plugged in on 3.0  ;D

Offline ykno

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 08:41:47 »

£50 not $70 dont do currency converter s tech dosnt convert propperly like a gtx 970 is $270 in the us and £265 in the uk so ye where it should be like £160 ish but they dont convert it like that so ur looking at $55 in the us be the equivelent price

but ye its missing the key caps to make it a working us layout board but im in uk and used uk layout all my life so it dont bother me (i will change it to us and replace the missing keys if i was to sell it on tho)

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:25:51 »

£50 not $70 dont do currency converter s tech dosnt convert propperly like a gtx 970 is $270 in the us and £265 in the uk so ye where it should be like £160 ish but they dont convert it like that so ur looking at $55 in the us be the equivelent price

but ye its missing the key caps to make it a working us layout board but im in uk and used uk layout all my life so it dont bother me (i will change it to us and replace the missing keys if i was to sell it on tho)
If I were to order that board from ebay using my paypal account and the price was £50, my final cost excluding shipping, customs, etc. would be ~$70.

I live in the USA. I'm at the mercy of big bank currency conversion.

This is the only way I can accurately gauge the price. Maybe one day I'll meet a lady that wants to travel to Europe, so far my travels have been limited to the western hemisphere  :-[

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:43:11 »

Show Image

I will give it a try later but this time I will plug it on USB2.0.

The OP showed a terminal Model M that requires a converter because it does not have native PS/2 protocol.

A standard M has PS/2 (or AT that can be "adapted" to PS/2) and does not need anything else. Some people have reported problems with cheap PS/2-to-USB adapters but they have always worked for me.

Model Ms do not have NKRO but I am not a rollover expert.

My experience is that USB 3.0 is often flaky with older gear.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:53:37 »
Indeed, it's got 2KRO. All membrane keyboards without a PCB technically have 2KRO.

Offline ykno

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:00:32 »
Indeed, it's got 2KRO. All membrane keyboards without a PCB technically have 2KRO.

ye its 2KRO but the common used combos like ctrl alt delete ect :)

Filco TK       Tomoko TK

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 11:32:27 »

2KRO doesn't mean combinations of more than 2 keys aren't possible. It just means they're not guaranteed; i.e. 2 is the lowest amount of keys you can be certain to press at any given time ;) .

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:18:05 »

2KRO doesn't mean combinations of more than 2 keys aren't possible. It just means they're not guaranteed; i.e. 2 is the lowest amount of keys you can be certain to press at any given time ;) .

IIRC I remember reading somewhere, that M's have a pretty good layout and you can usually achieve a fair amount more than 2 keys in a lot of scenarios.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 16:39:11 »
Aren't Control, Alt, and Shift generally exempted from the RO limit?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 17:36:29 »
Aren't Control, Alt, and Shift generally exempted from the RO limit?
Matrices are usually laid out in such a way that modifier keys don't suffer from the rollover limit in practice, yes. They work by the same physical principles that drive the rollover limit though.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:55:50 »

Show Image

I will give it a try later but this time I will plug it on USB2.0.

The OP showed a terminal Model M that requires a converter because it does not have native PS/2 protocol.

A standard M has PS/2 (or AT that can be "adapted" to PS/2) and does not need anything else. Some people have reported problems with cheap PS/2-to-USB adapters but they have always worked for me.

My experience is that USB 3.0 is often flaky with older gear.

At least for me, with, the popular blue cube does not like to be daisy chained to other adapters

When I convert AT to PS/2 and then PS/2 to USB via the blue cube, the keyboard does not function properly (it sometimes will work for like 5 seconds)

I also tried USB to PS/2 then back to PS/2 and it still didn't work (there was some serious lag between keystrokes and half of them didn't register)

However, straight PS/2 to USB works fine.

BTW, couldn't you just buy a cable from another Model M with a detachable cable and then use it in place of the SDL to RJ-45 cable on a terminal M? Or does it have to do with the firmware on the board.

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2016, 00:57:51 by klennkellon »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 08:44:43 »

a cable from another Model M with a detachable cable and then use it in place of the SDL to RJ-45 cable on a terminal M?

No, but I never knew that terminals had detachable cables.