Author Topic: [IC] Laser GMK - 80's & Cyberpunk (LIVE)  (Read 264054 times)

Offline MUMU

Re: [IC] Laser GMK - An 80's vs Cyberpunk Project
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 14:49:06 »
Guys get the hiragana there is already some set with japanese sub legend and hiragana look just so cool ! 
I know someone who told  me that : "Don't let your high end kb be dream, yesterday you  said monolegend hiragana looks cool, so just DO IT! Vote for monolegend! :thumb:"

Offline djpolstee

« Reply #501 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 14:59:59 »
I want in on this. I love the color scheme. Also, that GiTS keycaps would be awesome.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #502 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 15:13:08 »
Guys get the hiragana there is already some set with japanese sub legend and hiragana look just so cool ! 
I know someone who told  me that : "Don't let your high end kb be dream, yesterday you  said monolegend hiragana looks cool, so just DO IT! Vote for monolegend! :thumb:"

Everyone agrees, but we still seem to be losing the voting poll :S

Most comments here/massdrop is in favor of Monos

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #503 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 15:29:03 »

I hate to be "that guy" but all the normies that won't even be buying either one of the alternate alphabet legends must all be voting for Gaijin - "if I do want to buy one, it will not be the mono-legend, I could never type with that". Plus surely a lot of people are worried about their touchtyping abilities and they want to have English legends to fall back on for whatever reason.

I doubt Hiragana mono will ever end up winning but I really do wish it would.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #504 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 15:59:34 »

I hate to be "that guy" but all the normies that won't even be buying either one of the alternate alphabet legends must all be voting for Gaijin - "if I do want to buy one, it will not be the mono-legend, I could never type with that". Plus surely a lot of people are worried about their touchtyping abilities and they want to have English legends to fall back on for whatever reason.

You are probably right..sad sad day. Both should be offered, at increased price or such  :'(

Offline swangful

« Reply #505 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:03:21 »
I prefer gaijin. I am a touch typist but not everyone who uses my keyboard is.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #506 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:06:17 »

What a wonderful opportunity to learn touch typing I say  :p

Offline Auk

« Reply #507 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:32:23 »
I hate to be "that guy"

If you're "that guy" then I think the majority of us here must be clones because we seem to be singing from the same hymn book...

This will probably fall on deaf ears, but anyone in marketing will tell you that polls and surveys rarely translate directly to sales. These are just one tool in the research tool bag. You must ask the right questions of the right people.

Run the poll again on Geekhack and Deskthority, but restrict participation to those active members only who were registered in 2016 or earlier, then see what happens...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:34:32 by Auk »

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #508 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:45:55 »
I touch type, but still think Gaijin looks better. Maybe if the mono legends were larger/centered (like SA/DSA) it would look nicer. But the Hiragana renders look weird to me. Sorry dudes... =)

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #509 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:48:21 »
I love this set but I just have to say that in its current state, Gaijin is an abomination. Gaijin is basically mashing two different layouts with two distinct user groups, ANSI and JIS, into one set of keycaps. For ANSI users, it is basically just a regular keycap set, with the only difference being some Hiragana sprinkled throughout. For JIS users, it is basically unusable as the JIS layout places symbols in very different places than the ANSI layout does. For users of all other layouts, the situation is even worse. If the international kit or the D/C kit were to include the necessary keycaps to modify Gaijin, they would explode in both their number of keycaps and in their price. Therefore it seems that Gaijin's appeal is going to be quite limited.

Offline swangful

« Reply #510 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:49:07 »

What a wonderful opportunity to learn touch typing I say  :p

Touche :P

I agree, but sadly my family is beyond that learning point when they type with 1 finger from each hand.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:51:15 »

It seems that almost everyone who cares enough about the Japanese kit to post about it prefers Hiragana. I hope MiTo will take this into consideration when he makes the final decision.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 16:53:56 by e_l_tang »

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #512 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:06:10 »
Over on the Massdrop page, callow was saying that if Hiragana wins it would be much more likely that actual JIS compatible sets would be available in the future, because the molds would be created for the Laser drop. At first I was 100% for whichever Japanese set wins, but now that I understand none of these sets are actually JIS compatible, and I intend to get at least 1 JIS board if not 2, I'm not so sure. I'll likely end up getting whichever wins, but I'd much rather Hiragana won so there would be some benefit to people who use JIS (assuming what callow said is ccurate, which I believe it is) and I'd be able to use the set on a JIS board.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline inosint

« Reply #513 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:06:50 »
I don't really get people saying "Im a touch typist but not everyone who uses my keyboard is..."

Do the majority of keyboard enthusiasts only buy 1 keyboard/keyset to share...?

I feel like those voting gaijin would buy either if it came down to it. The people voting on hiragana however think gaijin looks busy and disorganized.

Offline Auk

« Reply #514 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:08:03 »

This is a bit strange, I would've thought those who voted Hiragana Hybrid (mono legend alphas + mixed numbers) would've been more likely to switch to Hiragana pure on the second vote. Not sure why Hybrid voters would lean toward Gaijin.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #515 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:27:23 »
I feel like those voting gaijin would buy either if it came down to it. The people voting on hiragana however think gaijin looks busy and disorganized.

Good point

Offline swangful

« Reply #516 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 17:46:07 »
This is floating around reddit, thought it was pretty funny haha. Still love laser anyway :P

Offline Data

« Reply #517 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 19:11:09 »

We're here and we're watching. If we aren't posting so much it's only because we don't want to crush your dreams anymore than the poll results are already doing.  <3

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #518 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 19:30:50 »

You know, I was thinking about that as well.  Polls like this are nice theoretically, but more than likely a number of people voting on the poll have no plans to actually buy either kit anyway, or even the general set itself.  But obviously you can't make a poll where you lock people into a commitment.  Maybe there could be two polls framed in a different way, like "Will you buy this [gaijin]/[hiragana] kit along with the base set if it costs $70-80?"

I think it's also a valid point that there are probably more gaijin voters who'd be willing to buy hiragana than the reverse.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #519 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 19:56:54 »
We're here and we're watching. If we aren't posting so much it's only because we don't want to crush your dreams anymore than the poll results are already doing.  <3

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #520 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:06:33 »
I'm surprised MiTo put this to a second vote. Given it was so close before I would've made an executive decision and gone for Hiragana - much nicer than blanks for touch typists, seems like it would be just fine for Dvorak, Colemak, or any other layout. I also suspect those who need the Latin legends will just buy the base kit anyway with any novelties they can afford.

Because of this:

Some people brute forced the last poll in favor of the monolegends

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #521 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:10:14 »
Current score: Gaijin 56 - Hiragana 44

Will some Hiragana evangelicals brute force the poll again? Please stand up LOL

Offline xantiema

« Reply #522 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:19:18 »
It is almost a crime against humanity to not do the Hiragana Legends, it is so unique and purrfect. Not mutually exclusive is the only way forward  :p

Offline ullr

« Reply #523 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:46:30 »
I, too, assumed that most of the people who voted for the hybrid kit would switch to Hiragana. Interesting that Gaijin is presently ahead, and like many others ITT I am a little tempted to put it down to people who won't buy the kit regardless.

Though honestly it is merely a matter of aesthetics with the present kit configuration, unless like someone else said you would prefer that fewer molds would need to be made for caps that don't contradict the actual Japanese layout.

Personally I am voting for Hiragana on the off chance that MiTo would be amenable to adding the few extra keys to outfit a JIS layout. From a purely aesthetic view, I do prefer Hiragana only (especially with the chance of icon mods) but I would be equally willing to buy a set with both Kana and Latin characters as long as it didn't contradict JIS.

Dollars to donuts if T0mb3ry held a vote over whether the Cyrillic kit for GMK Yuri should have been the Russian keyboard layout or just ANSI with Cyrillic sub-legends on the alphas, ANSI would have won. I think it just shows that there are two halves of this community with different priorities and ideas about keyboards and caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 June 2017, 20:48:14 by ullr »

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #524 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:19:01 »
I, too, assumed that most of the people who voted for the hybrid kit would switch to Hiragana. Interesting that Gaijin is presently ahead, and like many others ITT I am a little tempted to put it down to people who won't buy the kit regardless.

Though honestly it is merely a matter of aesthetics with the present kit configuration, unless like someone else said you would prefer that fewer molds would need to be made for caps that don't contradict the actual Japanese layout.

Personally I am voting for Hiragana on the off chance that MiTo would be amenable to adding the few extra keys to outfit a JIS layout. From a purely aesthetic view, I do prefer Hiragana only (especially with the chance of icon mods) but I would be equally willing to buy a set with both Kana and Latin characters as long as it didn't contradict JIS.

Dollars to donuts if T0mb3ry held a vote over whether the Cyrillic kit for GMK Yuri should have been the Russian keyboard layout or just ANSI with Cyrillic sub-legends on the alphas, ANSI would have won. I think it just shows that there are two halves of this community with different priorities and ideas about keyboards and caps.
I like how T0mb3ry took charge as the designer and said "no, the dual legends look too busy" in the interest of the success of the set.

Offline b3rn13mac

« Reply #525 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 21:43:37 »
I was thinking of a pop-up headlight for a 1u novelty key. Obvious choice would be the AE86, especially given the TRUENO cap already planned, but there is a wide host of cars to choose from. (AW11 headlights would be kickass) Don't exactly have a design for you, but I imagine it would look best if based on a view like this.

I was also thinking of a digital dash novelty, but that would be far too busy for a 1u key. probably too busy for a 1.5 or 2u key as well :/

I'd be ecstatic if there was an MR2 novelty, but that seems like quite the stretch :D Someday I'll have to think about designing an 80's Toyota themed set...

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 22:21:00 »
I assume the reason we can't have both sets is both require new legends? Otherwise I don't get it, do we think both would miss MOQ? Wouldn't offering both and letting MOQ do the elimination be better?

If nothing else, to me the poll should be which packages would you buy (pick all): Hiragana, Gaijin or Both

Then see which wins. I would totally buy both just to get the Hiragana set. That said, I'm not sure I'd buy just the Gaijin set cause it really is super cluttered comparatively, at that point I'll just buy more novel key packs and use em as blanks :D. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 13 June 2017, 23:50:05 »
Updated the sig to the cool kids img  :cool:

Offline xantiema

« Reply #528 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 10:09:53 »
I assume the reason we can't have both sets is both require new legends? Otherwise I don't get it, do we think both would miss MOQ? Wouldn't offering both and letting MOQ do the elimination be better?

If nothing else, to me the poll should be which packages would you buy (pick all): Hiragana, Gaijin or Both

Then see which wins. I would totally buy both just to get the Hiragana set. That said, I'm not sure I'd buy just the Gaijin set cause it really is super cluttered comparatively, at that point I'll just buy more novel key packs and use em as blanks :D. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Pretty much how I feel, the clutter on the gaijin is just really bad. Rather wait for another set or buy something else for the alphas... It is really sad that only one is gonna be produced.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 10:25:19 »
You know, I just checked the Yuri drop and it seems like the MOQ for the cyrillics kit was 100.  Laser seems pretty popular and it's being run on MD so I think it's actually possible both gaijin and hiragana kits would hit 100.  Yuri's cyrillics hit at least 175 for reference, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think hiragana would get a bit over half of that, and there are definitely a bunch of people who'd buy gaijin but wouldn't buy an otaku kit like hiragana/cyrillics (that and you also have the weeb appeal >_>).

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #530 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 12:12:55 »
I just saw this paracord:

Purple Lotus

I wonder if it would match this keyset. Maybe it has too much cyan?
But I like how it makes a pink grid like those 80s backgrounds (if coiled) :D

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #531 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 12:22:44 »
I'd like to see both offered just to see which hits MOQ. Though that does run the risk of neither hitting.
I'd pick up Hiragana just to put my money where my mouth is but will pass on Gaijin as it would be worse than blanks for my layout.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #532 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 12:37:19 »
Show Image

Purple Lotus

My personal opinion being that it doesn't fit it at all  :p

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 12:46:53 »
Show Image

Purple Lotus

This one is better IMO:

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #534 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:09:21 »
I'd like to see both offered just to see which hits MOQ. Though that does run the risk of neither hitting.
I'd pick up Hiragana just to put my money where my mouth is but will pass on Gaijin as it would be worse than blanks for my layout.

My thought is if this buy is going to run for two weeks, if after the first week it looks like the two are cannibalizing each other and neither will meet MOQ, you just drop one of them (if one is clearly ahead then keep that, if they're close then mito can decide).

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #535 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:19:42 »
RE paracords and cables - MiTo might have something planned for that already, he has many commissions that he will be running with artisans so I'd not be surprised at all if one of them is a custom cable made specifically for Laser that you will be able to purchase alongside the set.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #536 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:24:11 »
RE paracords and cables - MiTo might have something planned for that already, he has many commissions that he will be running with artisans so I'd not be surprised at all if one of them is a custom cable made specifically for Laser that you will be able to purchase alongside the set.

I wrote to the guy making the Mechcables, and he said there would be a Laser styled cable dropping alongside the set. Not sure if this is one that Mito has arranged with the guy.

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #537 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:27:05 »
That would be great!

Now I only have to decide a case color...  ;D

Offline gooey

« Reply #538 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 18:33:28 »
That would be great!

Now I only have to decide a case color...  ;D

Purple bruh

Offline Tally810

« Reply #539 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 19:15:17 »
All these people saying that the polls are skewed is kind of funny.  Let the poll decide what wins and stop being salty.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Data

« Reply #540 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 20:01:58 »

I like how T0mb3ry took charge as the designer and said "no, the dual legends look too busy" in the interest of the success of the set.

Why even bother with a poll if you're not going to make the winner?

Christ, the mental gymnastics happening over this font are embarrassing.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #541 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 21:21:53 »

I'll be happy either way. Though, the Hiragana is the dream.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #542 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 00:37:38 »

I thought I was the only one watching this cringing

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #543 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 01:02:52 »
All these people saying that the polls are skewed is kind of funny.  Let the poll decide what wins and stop being salty.

lol... polls are by nature skewed... else someone might have seen the Trumping coming... That's where all the math actually comes in.

For example. If this was a two question poll you could ask:
What Japanese Set Do You Prefer?
Will You Buy It?

And in that poll you could end up with 1 set receiving 90% of the the which set do you prefer. But if the only people who voted yes to "Will You Buy It?" voted for the other set... it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to produce the set that got 90% of the vote. I AM NOT saying that's what is happening here. But the "Trust the polls the polls are always right" mindset is just wrong. Adjusting polls for all different types of skew is LITERALLY what polling agencies do. They poll a bunch of data, and then they weight all of it to adjust for skew.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #544 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 07:22:06 »

The polls had what 120 votes last time... around 200 votes now at most? If you think this is even a large enough representation of the final sales, you two must be delusional. I don't see how this set would sell under 1XXX. Just that alone tells you how useless the poll actually is. I am glad some of the other designers just took over and decided the outcome e.g. T0mb3ry. Shouldn't be left up to an unpopular (low vote count) poll.. IN MY OPINION.

Offline Juk

« Reply #545 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 11:20:14 »
Hi!
I have some suggestions:
  • Mark the sizes of the keys (eg. 1.5U or so) on the modifiers. That is useful for people who use weird sets
  • A render of the Ergodox would be useful too. Maybe even a "ergodox pro" with legends is feasible, in the SA Carbon it has more sells than the blank one.
  • If you are doing themed cables, please try to include the option to match Ergodox.
  • Is it possible for the ISO Intl to include Spanish? I think it would not be a lot of keys extra.
    This one from SA Oblivion covers Danish, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish.
  • +1 to the idea of having both japanese styles on the MD, and let the MOQ decide. I think this will be a one big drop.

Thank you all!
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:58:45 by Juk »

Offline xantiema

« Reply #546 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 15:01:00 »
My budget for GMK Laser just grew drastically, now that Massdrop pulled shenanigans on the SA Carbon drop. Take my money Mito, take it all.

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #547 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 15:20:13 »
My budget for GMK Laser just grew drastically, now that Massdrop pulled shenanigans on the SA Carbon drop. Take my money Mito, take it all.

I just hope they won't f**k up with novelties the same way they did it with Carbon warning signs.
Actually, this set a no-go flag for me on carbon.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #548 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 15:26:36 »

The polls had what 120 votes last time... around 200 votes now at most? If you think this is even a large enough representation of the final sales, you two must be delusional. I don't see how this set would sell under 1XXX. Just that alone tells you how useless the poll actually is. I am glad some of the other designers just took over and decided the outcome e.g. T0mb3ry. Shouldn't be left up to an unpopular (low vote count) poll.. IN MY OPINION.
It's quite clear that MiTo prefers Hiragana, so I'm not sure why he hasn't already gone ahead with it.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #549 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 15:42:11 »

I just hope they won't f**k up with novelties the same way they did it with Carbon warning signs.
Actually, this set a no-go flag for me on carbon.

The Carbon set is useless without the warning signs in my opinion, I moved on. Can't wait for this.