Author Topic: I made a layout. Called it Hands Down. Can join the cool kids now?  (Read 6735 times)

Offline phibonachi

Hi.

I'm new here, formally, but been haunting geekhack for a long, long time. Maybe I finally have something to contribute.

All I wanted was a comfier keyboard. That was March. Then Covid. Got a gergo with gchoc 12g, fell in love. Built variety split ergos REDOX, KYRIAs, building Redox manuform now. Spent money I don't have, took my PhD exams on one of them, then wanted more. Day after exams I started designing a layout for my dissertation. I call it Hands Down.

https://sites.google.com/alanreiser.com/handsdown

Lemme know if it's OK (clearly I'm jazzed about it, but I may be blind to the obvious now—Elephant in room syndrome).

Thanks for thoughts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2020, 11:23:31 by phibonachi »

Offline batfink

Re: I made a layout. Called it Hands Down. Can join the cool kids now?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 10:00:31 »
By making a layout, you may now join the uncool kids. Welcome to the club, being cool is overrated anyway.

Offline phibonachi

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 10:05:54 »
Much more comfortable being ucool.  It's been really fun reading about so many other layouts, the impetus and approaches to the game.

And ya, it's a game...

Offline econeuler

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 14:53:21 »
By making a layout, you may now join the uncool kids. Welcome to the club, being cool is overrated anyway.

:D

Hi.

I'm new here, formally, but been haunting geekhack for a long, long time. Maybe I finally have something to contribute.

All I wanted was a comfier keyboard. That was March. Then Covid. Got a gergo with gchoc 12g, fell in love. Built variety split ergos REDOX, KYRIAs, building Redox manuform now. Spent money I don't have, took my PhD exams on one of them, then wanted more. Day after exams I started designing a layout for my dissertation. I call it Hands Down.

https://sites.google.com/alanreiser.com/handsdown

Lemme know if it's OK (clearly I'm jazzed about it, but I may be blind to the obvious now—Elephant in room syndrome).

Thanks for thoughts.

Cool that you did your own design! :) Have you done general optimization or have you also been trying to optimize from what you write the most? I switched from qwerty to Colemak DHm (as DH rev 1, i.e., k and m are changed). I haven't tried any other layout and chose DHm since I'm running ortho. Do you feel a change with this new layout? I've heard people saying that the most important thing is to use an ergo keyboard, do you agree with that? Good luck with your thesis/A fellow phd student

Offline iso

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 00:06:55 »
Welcome, looking forwared to see you build it.

It`s only cool for people that never built one. For you I hope turns into "proud owner"