Author Topic: Project: SSK revival  (Read 60842 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Project: SSK revival
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:08:44 »
backburner. everything is actually in pretty good shape, but a whole bunch of sheet metal needs to be cut and bent and paid for. not in the budget right now unfortunately.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #251 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:24:13 »
That's unfortunate.  I've only recently learned about this project.  Hopefully it is only a matter of [not terribly long] time before it reaches its goal.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #252 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:30:31 »
it is really just a matter of time. the designs don't really need that much work, and the membrane situation is under control enough for a first run, but i would need a whole bunch of time for construction and the budget to have the sheet metal cut and bent AND the printer needs to be up, all at the same time. quite a few moving parts, unfortunately. on the upside, the hardest work has been done for the most part. it's just a situation where the ROI is hugely negative (this was always a labor of love for all involved) and geeckers needs a revenue stream right now, so i'm focusing on meeting people's immediate and small-scale needs first.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dante

« Reply #253 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 12:19:02 »
As I understand it Mkawa you bought a bunch of controllers from Unicomp - correct?  If so, how many of these can you make before you run out?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:12:36 »
i can make more boards than i believe there is demand for.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 17:12:52 »
Is the info for the plates available, in case people want to do that part on their own? I know doing en mass is cheaper, but if doing things piecemeal can help get things going faster...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 17:22:49 »
i can make more boards than i believe there is demand for.

I demand a board!

Actually, I don't, because shipping would be just silly :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #257 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 17:34:31 »
With my luck finding a reasonably priced vintage SSK, I'll probably be able to finally get a shiny new one when this project does come to completion!

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:37:07 »
Is it bad that I'd sell my old one for one of these new ones?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 05:28:15 »
Is the info for the plates available, in case people want to do that part on their own? I know doing en mass is cheaper, but if doing things piecemeal can help get things going faster...
i'd prefer to make the first run of cases because they're a bit complicated. there's a plastic and metal component, and our plan is to lasercut stainless, which requires an amount of power that would be unattainable if it weren't for the_beast's laser cutting contact.

if everyone involved agrees, after the first run the board design will be made available under some variant of the ggppll. also, trading up to a revival board, if they come out like i want them to, won't be unheard of. the plates are going to be thicker than the thickest plates i've ever pulled out of an ssk, and the bottom case will be stainless instead of the break-prone plastic that the OEM units use. 

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #260 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 06:49:28 »
i'd prefer to make the first run of cases because they're a bit complicated. there's a plastic and metal component, and our plan is to lasercut stainless, which requires an amount of power that would be unattainable if it weren't for the_beast's laser cutting contact.

if everyone involved agrees, after the first run the board design will be made available under some variant of the ggppll. also, trading up to a revival board, if they come out like i want them to, won't be unheard of. the plates are going to be thicker than the thickest plates i've ever pulled out of an ssk, and the bottom case will be stainless instead of the break-prone plastic that the OEM units use. 

Good to know. I am definitely in for one of these.

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #261 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:00:13 »
Im in too! :thumb:
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:24:48 »
To be honest, I am not big on TKLs, but I would consider going for a new style SSK. I currently have 4 keyboards on my desk (5 if you count the built in keyboard for the laptop I have docked), and can see the benefit of not having everything be fullsized. As long as my main keyboard is fullsized, I would still be happy.

Also, I am a fan of metal. The stainless steel bottom sounds really intriguing. As long as I have the funds by the time things roll around, I would definitely want to get one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:28:22 by Hellmark »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #263 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:37:38 »
I have an SSK and I want one of these lol

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #264 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:44:34 »
I don't have an SSK and never have good luck on the auctions, always working during snipe time.
This will be perfect for me.
Patiently waiting and enjoying the progress you guys have made.
One of these days I will have one of these and it will be good.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #265 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 09:59:27 »
For me, I think it may be a bit better going this route. I would most likely have it at work, and if it is something using new parts, and easy to work on, I'd feel less hesitant about leaving it there. I am not so worried about things walking, as I am of things breaking.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #266 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:01:27 »
If I could acquire an SSK  :-*

I would want it to be made by kawa.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 11:27:29 »
Or wcass Binge?

Offline dante

« Reply #268 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:00:26 »
Or fohat.digs !! [I'm a big fan]

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:11:17 »
i also have a unique method of bolt modding that is high precision and will work with the thickened plating to produce a very unique feel.

that said, hugely labor intensive.

Offline dante

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:22:33 »
2013: teh year of hope?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:23:55 »
Or wcass Binge?

:O that'd be like getting a finely crafted Japanese blade...  I am not worthy.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:13:43 »
I got to try one out while staying at mkawa's apartment. I've gotta say that if I didn't have an SSK already, I'd be all over this. Hell, I *HAVE* an SSK and I'm still really interested in this. It doesn't feel *exactly* as springy as my SSK does but overall, it's so good that I was impressed. The new plate, the assembly of it, and how clean the folded Model M membrane looks all look great to me. Plus I thought the way mkawa had it bolt modded was very nice. The case felt..."tighter" or better assembled than my SSK (no offense to dorkvader).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 09:08:44 »
Or fohat.digs

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am a tinkerer, not a fabricator.

Non-Model F projects are mostly off my radar anymore.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 10:03:27 »
That really does give me some hope, Cap'n. I am not a huge fan of TKLs, but for certain circumstances, this would be an awesome board to have.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 10:51:10 »
I'm still ready to trade my SSK in for this revival version in a heart beat!

I like the older model SSK's but the idea of a bolt modded newer version with a thicker plate sound awesome to me.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 10:58:16 »

I like the older model SSK's but the idea of a bolt modded newer version with a thicker plate sound awesome to me.

Plus brand new plastic that hasn't weathered a decade or more!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #277 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 11:10:11 »
Yes with the save of insane prices SSKs are getting on ebay, this project is more needed than ever.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 11:28:10 »

Plus brand new plastic that hasn't weathered a decade or more!

Meh....that just adds more layers for resistance. ;)

Offline dante

« Reply #279 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 13:01:56 »
Unicomp still insists (per Facebook) that they are working on a SSK.

Multiple people have said that they do not have the ability to do it - but if so - why do they keep saying they are?

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #280 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 15:29:31 »
Keep up interest. People want SSKs. If they say they aren't going to make one, people will be upset.

Offline dante

« Reply #281 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 22:20:19 »

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #282 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 12:09:04 »
I want this as my only BS board
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:52:09 »
oh, right. sorry, i'm up to my ears in stuff right now dudes. i got what i needed out of the beta test and i believe we have the entire chassis blueprinted but i just don't have the resources to push these out yet. this is all funded by me moi myself and the few beta testers so far and the result is that it's just going to be a huge money and time sink i don't have the money and time for at the moment. sorry folks! stay tuned etc. etc.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 20:52:31 »
also my assembly jig is literally in iowa right now. so there's that.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #285 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 03:22:53 »
Patience is key, especially for healing my wallet :p
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:59:37 »
Kickstart it? You have prototypes, so that's enough to get going. Have interested people make donations, and if they want to get in on the next batch of testing, have a higher end donation range that would be enough to fully fund the build of a keyboard for them.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 22:05:49 »
1) we've attempted to work with kickstarter before and they do not like us.

2) kickstarter takes 10% of proceeds. we have community funding here and on the soon-to-be-launched geekhackers store

3) i don't have time. really, very seriously, i don't have time to build a single board right now. even if i built another jig up with new parts and have the money to get the sheet metal cut, i would not have time to make a single unit.

sorry, but patience is the only answer here.

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #288 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 13:26:04 »
I wasn't necessarily meaning kickerstarter itself, but the basic general premise of crowd funding.

As far as point number 3, that goes without saying. Everyone knows that you've been crazy busy, plus not even home much. I think we were mostly just spitballing ideas to try and come up with a solution for the money part, since the only solution for the time part is to wait.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 19:56:43 »
I am definitely in.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #290 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:53:51 »
when i have time, i will probably GB a small production run, similarly to how i am running the other two geekhackers GBs -- quick, pay-at-order, short lead times, a dozen or two units max.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #291 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:54:38 »
when i have time, i will probably GB a small production run, similarly to how i am running the other two geekhackers GBs -- quick, pay-at-order, short lead times, a dozen or two units max.

do you know around how much it would cost?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 01:01:29 »
ONE MILLION DOLLARS

not going to guess. depends largely on shop fees.

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #293 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:19:32 »
Show Image

Oh sweet jesus, thank you for an AB reference!!!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 12:34:28 »
there's always time for altered beast ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #295 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:30:02 »
total necro, but i was actually prodded hard enough to build a set of rev2 internals and put them in a case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3x52i8foohgxuoe/2014-06-26%2018.04.47.jpg

weight is 4lbs, which i think is the heaviest i've yet recorded for an ssk

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #296 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:49:26 »
total necro, but i was actually prodded hard enough to build a set of rev2 internals and put them in a case.

In the true spirit of IBM keyboards of old :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #297 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:55:40 »

Would have been something to have produced kits to run up against all the MX and Thorpie keyboards flooding into Geekhack daily.  Pity BS gets so little support these days amongst the community here now.

At least you tried mkawa, and I thank you for that  :thumb: .