Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 394582 times)

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 22:27:28 »
If I sent you used clear stems, would you use those instead of new clear stems for a custom board?

No problem. ;)
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 22:33:47 »
If I sent you used clear stems, would you use those instead of new clear stems for a custom board?

No problem. ;)

Sweet! After I wear in some clears, I might send the stems to you and ask you to do a custom ergo clear with them. It'll take me a couple weeks to get them fully worn down though. I've got an elaborate stem-switching plan to place the least worn stems on the colemak homerow to wear them out. Hopefully it should work out well ;)
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 15:39:12 »
Hey GON and GON fans!  :))

I've been starting to really want a good programmable board, and so I just started to do some research, but I'm still quite lost.  I would like to be able to fully remap all keys for several Fn layers, and also being able to experiment with dual-role keys would be a nice plus.

What are the programming capabilities for GON's NerD TKL?  Are we able to configure which keys act as the Fn keys, or are those hardcoded to specific keys on the board?  Also, what is the name of the controller for this board, or is it something specific that GON's PCB uses?  I ask because I'm curious whether I'd be able to play with custom firmwares like the ones that Hasu has been developing.  If anyone can please point me to some instructions/utilities/thread for programming the NerD TKL that I could take a look at, that would help out a lot.

What are the main differences between GON's NS 87 and NerD TKL?  The one thing I noticed that the NerD supports both side and switch LEDs at the same time.

As long as the programmability is there, I'm really leaning towards trying one of GON's NerD TKL boards.  GON's boards just look beautiful, I am a sucker for shiny LEDs, and I've read a lot of praise from GHers from my searches.

Hope GON or someone else can please help me out with my noob questions.  Thanks!   :thumb:
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:11:49 »

I've been starting to really want a good programmable board, and so I just started to do some research, but I'm still quite lost.  I would like to be able to fully remap all keys for several Fn layers, and also being able to experiment with dual-role keys would be a nice plus.

What are the programming capabilities for GON's NerD TKL?  Are we able to configure which keys act as the Fn keys, or are those hardcoded to specific keys on the board?  Also, what is the name of the controller for this board, or is it something specific that GON's PCB uses?  I ask because I'm curious whether I'd be able to play with custom firmwares like the ones that Hasu has been developing.  If anyone can please point me to some instructions/utilities/thread for programming the NerD TKL that I could take a look at, that would help out a lot.

What are the main differences between GON's NS 87 and NerD TKL?  The one thing I noticed that the NerD supports both side and switch LEDs at the same time.

As long as the programmability is there, I'm really leaning towards trying one of GON's NerD TKL boards.  GON's boards just look beautiful, I am a sucker for shiny LEDs, and I've read a lot of praise from GHers from my searches.

Hope GON or someone else can please help me out with my noob questions.  Thanks!   :thumb:

Hi naasfu,

Here is an introduction for NerD TKL
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs/60-nerd-tkl-by-gon.html

NerD uses NerD controller, it has been developed by me. So the controller is only implemented on NerD PCBs.
NerD has 1 Normal Layer + 2 Fn Layers that user can edit, 3 layers in total.

NS87s were assembled PS2AVR PCBs, and now discontinued.
I assemble GON NS NerD TKL as a substitute, which has more powerful functions.

Powerful and Easy(Really easy...) H/W Macro is one of the best advantages of NerD.
And you will be able to find many other advantages...

But one thing, it will take about 2-3 months for me to release NerDy GUI.
Users need NerDy GUI to edit keymaps.

Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 22:05:25 »

Hi naasfu,

Here is an introduction for NerD TKL
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs/60-nerd-tkl-by-gon.html

NerD uses NerD controller, it has been developed by me. So the controller is only implemented on NerD PCBs.
NerD has 1 Normal Layer + 2 Fn Layers that user can edit, 3 layers in total.

NS87s were assembled PS2AVR PCBs, and now discontinued.
I assemble GON NS NerD TKL as a substitute, which has more powerful functions.

Powerful and Easy(Really easy...) H/W Macro is one of the best advantages of NerD.
And you will be able to find many other advantages...

But one thing, it will take about 2-3 months for me to release NerDy GUI.
Users need NerDy GUI to edit keymaps.

Thank you GON for the quick and helpful response!  :thumb:

Will we be able to configure the keys that are used to activate each of the two Fn layers?  For example, to activate Fn layer #1, can I choose the right Windows key, or left Windows key, or the "Fn" key next to right Shift, etc?
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline stancato9

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 17:31:46 »
Hey GON, I can't find it on your site, but is there the option to purchase a keyboard without the switches?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 12:12:22 »
Hey GON, I can't find it on your site, but is there the option to purchase a keyboard without the switches?

Yes, you can buy Parts only without assembly. ;)
You can order NerD TKL PCB + Housing only(or + extra parts/accessories)
So Ironical!

Offline hokeymons

« Reply #107 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 21:44:20 »
I noticed the GON NS 38 PCB was put back up, and was wondering if it came with the controller SMD parts already soldered on, or do we need to get them separately.

Offline abtrout

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 03:39:04 »
Hi Gon. I have two questions about the HS GH60 case.

1. Is the top actually a plate -- so do I have to use plate mount switches?
2. Do all the anodizing options come with those big metal feet?
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 21:02:11 by abtrout »

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:41:21 »
I noticed the GON NS 38 PCB was put back up, and was wondering if it came with the controller SMD parts already soldered on, or do we need to get them separately.

All PCBs I sell at www.GONsKeyboardworks.com come with Controller Parts Soldered/Firmware Flashed and Tested by me. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:43:52 »
Hi Gon. I have two questions about the HS GH60 case.

1. Is the top actually a plate -- so do I have to use plate mount switches?
2. Do all the anodizing options come with those big metal feet?

1. The Top is its plate but you don't have to use plate mount switches, because I have never seen a CUSTOM pcb not compatible with PCB mount Switches.
(38GT PCBs are compatible with both plate mount and pcb mount switches.

2. Yes anodizing is applied also on the 2 aluminium feet.

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 April 2014, 16:26:24 by GON »
So Ironical!

Offline abtrout

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 11:30:43 »
Thanks GON!

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 21:45:07 »
Hello Gon,

What is the turnaround for a gon ns 87 assembled?

Thanks,

-Blacke

Offline noctoocto

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 00:15:17 »

According to his site, it should around 4-10 weeks.
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/content/1-lead-time-and-delivery

Offline archer

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 09:55:36 »

And I don't think GON is making ns 87's anymore.. I believe he's only making NerD 87s now ;)

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 10:48:00 »

And I don't think GON is making ns 87's anymore.. I believe he's only making NerD 87s now ;)

Right. ;)

NerD TKL is similar to NS 87.
But it's more optimized for NS housings.
And buyer can get direct technical support from me, because I myself designed/artworked the NerDs. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:07:21 »
I'm curious, any chance you could expedite a build for a fee?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:25:02 »
I'm curious, any chance you could expedite a build for a fee?

If I had any free time for myself, I would like to do so.
But I don't now. As for now, I have to assemble first come first serve in order. ;)

If I expedite an order for a fee now, it would not be fair to others, because I would have to spend "time for other orders."

So sorry not to give you a good and helpful answer.
So Ironical!

Offline tbc

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 17:39:10 »
What is the 'dimming' mode for the mx-mini?  is that the same thing as the 'breathing' mode for the shine 3?  or does it mean that the level of brightness is adjustable?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 23:22:21 »
What is the 'dimming' mode for the mx-mini?  is that the same thing as the 'breathing' mode for the shine 3?  or does it mean that the level of brightness is adjustable?

Including breathing, it has some other LED modes. ;)
Dimming is "slowly being turned off if there's no input".
So Ironical!

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:21:09 »
Hello gon! I'm having trouble using your website. Every page takes upwards of 45 seconds to load.

How much would it cost me to have a Black anodized Mx - Mini Board shipped to Canada..

Would need PCB, Case, Switches, Leds for in switches and side leds (red) and resistors. Also stabilizers. Red switch stickers.

I can do all soldering and assembly myself. Just need all components.

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline Kildras

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 09:37:11 »
Hi guys,

I am super noob (chobo T T) in custom keyboard and thinking to get an assembled Nerd TKL.

I was browsing and saw this photo:

I am wondering how do I choose from the option menu on the website or is that like a super special version?
if yes, then can I select the colour for the Acrylic part as well as the 2 layers colour on top?

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 12:43:59 »
Does anyone have a 'default' .map file for a GON NS 38 GT? Had some troubles mapping.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 April 2014, 16:32:43 by b7ad »

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 07:43:51 »
Hello gon! I'm having trouble using your website. Every page takes upwards of 45 seconds to load.

How much would it cost me to have a Black anodized Mx - Mini Board shipped to Canada..

Would need PCB, Case, Switches, Leds for in switches and side leds (red) and resistors. Also stabilizers. Red switch stickers.

I can do all soldering and assembly myself. Just need all components.

I think I have to upgrade my hosting server. ;(

I have to calculate it too.

You can get everything except for optional switch springs at the site.

I think it would cost about 300(?) USD? Not sure, just guessing...

So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 07:50:13 »
Hi guys,

I am super noob (chobo T T) in custom keyboard and thinking to get an assembled Nerd TKL.

I was browsing and saw this photo:
Show Image

I am wondering how do I choose from the option menu on the website or is that like a super special version?
if yes, then can I select the colour for the Acrylic part as well as the 2 layers colour on top?

Unfortunately, no, Acrylic Housing at www.GONsKeyboardworks.com is different from your picture.
Housing at my site is simplified form. It doesn't have double layer construction for its top.

To make the housing in your link, Bonding, Tapping and Sand-Paper work are needed. It's hell lol~ I will never do that again. sorry...
Guys who have my Masterpiece Acrylic Housings /w hell-work are lucky guys...
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 12:22:08 »
Does anyone have a 'default' .map file for a GON NS 38 GT? Had some troubles mapping.

Get this.

http://gofile.me/2vXKG/1pl3UpnP

;)

It will be open for a week.
So Ironical!

Offline pasph

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 15:15:57 »
How your new Nerd keyboards can be programmed in the meantime you develop a gui?
The bare pcb comes with some preloaded key map?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 03:54:42 »
How your new Nerd keyboards can be programmed in the meantime you develop a gui?
The bare pcb comes with some preloaded key map?

Sure, default keymap is loaded so that users can do everything with NerD just except for changing keymap.
With CLI, LED mod change and H/W Macro management are still available.
So Ironical!

Offline pasph

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 04:10:48 »
What's CLI?
When do you think the gui will be ready?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 06:03:09 »
What's CLI?
When do you think the gui will be ready?

CLI = Command Line Interface
A Configuration Software running on Command Prompt Base.

GUI will be released at around the end of this spring. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 13:40:43 »
Hi GON, will you release a NerD version for MX-Mini anytime soon?

Offline cannonking

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 00:32:53 »
I want one too!

Offline cseng

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 03:24:39 »
Is it going to cost me extra if I want matching colors on the screw bolts for Nerd TKL and LED under the ESC key?

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 11:30:06 »
I started adding LED's to my board, i added 4 before adding more. Do you have to turn on LED's or are they on by default? How do i turn them on? maybe i bought something wrong? :(

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:19:21 »
PS2AVR: USB or PS2? Please tell more about it

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:32:15 »

I don't think I will release MX-MINI version of NerD soon. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:33:55 »
Is it going to cost me extra if I want matching colors on the screw bolts for Nerd TKL and LED under the ESC key?

For NS NerD TKL, colored bolts are default option. ;)
(This is because the housing dimension(Housing thickness) is exactly adjusted for color bolts that I have in stock.)
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:34:50 »
I started adding LED's to my board, i added 4 before adding more. Do you have to turn on LED's or are they on by default? How do i turn them on? maybe i bought something wrong? :(

I solved your problem at another post. ;)
Fn + Caps Lock
So Ironical!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 19:37:07 »

shame. can you list the differences between the NerD and the older PS2AVR?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 23:06:49 »

shame. can you list the differences between the NerD and the older PS2AVR?

You can find spec of each controller - NerD and PS2AVR

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/8-pcbs

They are different controllers.
So Ironical!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 01:32:31 »
seems like the NerD is quite surperior to the PS2AVR, especially in regards with LED lghts and customizing key maps. a couple more questions:

- what are the different Shift and Backspace layouts?

- can you provide MX Whites instead of the more standard switches?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 05:06:29 »
seems like the NerD is quite surperior to the PS2AVR, especially in regards with LED lghts and customizing key maps. a couple more questions:

- what are the different Shift and Backspace layouts?

- can you provide MX Whites instead of the more standard switches?

On supported layouts, Refer to product info below

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/custom-kbds-w-assembly/66-gon-ns-nerd-tkl-w-tuningassembly.html

I don't have plan to provide Whites because just a few want that switch. I can't stock all kinds of switches...

So Ironical!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:52:52 »
sorry, i'm asking about the difference between, for example, 2.25 left shift vs 1.25+1. it isn't very apparent to me from looking at the pictures, nor can i find similar layouts on the internet for comparison

thanks for being patient, i'm still relatively new to custom keyboards and have yet to grasp all the little nuisances

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 02:59:55 »
sorry, i'm asking about the difference between, for example, 2.25 left shift vs 1.25+1. it isn't very apparent to me from looking at the pictures, nor can i find similar layouts on the internet for comparison

thanks for being patient, i'm still relatively new to custom keyboards and have yet to grasp all the little nuisances

2.25x left shift is that of standard US(ANSI) layout.
1.25x + 1x left shift + ISO is that of Euroupean(ISO) layout.
So Ironical!

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:39:25 »
that was so much simpler than i expected, thank you

Offline redskull

« Reply #145 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 08:10:41 »

hello GON,

sorry but you haven't been replying my emails. what is the update for my orders sir?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 16:58:34 »

hello GON,

sorry but you haven't been replying my emails. what is the update for my orders sir?

Sorry for late reply, you would have received a reply. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline Crabby_b

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 10:02:28 »
Hi Gon, Do you know when the nerd 60 PCB will be available on your site?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 10:39:50 »

I've not "officially" released NerD 60 PCBs because due to its limitation on the number of the keys, NerD 60 has more need for GUI(kemap changing tool) that I will release in a month or two.

But it doesn't mean NerD 60 has any key code included in standard 104 layout.

Here you can see keymap layers(Normal, Fn1, Fn2) for NerD PCBs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57751.0

As you can see, even NerD 60 includes all the keys in its 3 layers.

If you still want it, contact me. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline Crabby_b

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 10:44:08 »

I've not "officially" released NerD 60 PCBs because due to its limitation on the number of the keys, NerD 60 has more need for GUI(kemap changing tool) that I will release in a month or two.

But it doesn't mean NerD 60 has any key code included in standard 104 layout.

Here you can see keymap layers(Normal, Fn1, Fn2) for NerD PCBs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57751.0

As you can see, even NerD 60 includes all the keys in its 3 layers.

If you still want it, contact me. ;)

Thanks! I'll be sending you a PM shortly.  :D