Author Topic: GON's KeyboardWorks - Questions and Answers  (Read 394585 times)

Offline GON

• * Maker
  • Skype ID : GonsKeyboardWorks
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:20:29 »
Are these resistors suitible for the GON NerD 60/ [CTRL]ALT 60?

470R is OK for Switch-Backlight LEDs of NerD, but the size should be 0805[2012 metric].
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:47:54 »
Wait... so that means my order hasn't been shipped yet?! My payment was accepted 15th May and it's 19 August today....
Btw I sent you a mail asking the same question...

This is what it's like when you want an artist to produce a piece of work for you.  Don't expect tight deadlines otherwise go to Filco, Leopold or Realforce and buy their product which is already made for you to pick up straight away.

I too had to wait for his work BUT it was definitely worth the wait.  Makes you appreciate all the finery of his craftsmanship when it sits in front of you ready to be plugged into the back of your PC.

Like all artists they operate at their own times and frequency, in fact I'm starting to wonder if GON is getting sick and tired of producing the same product through his studio all the time?  I certainly hope not because I want to buy some more of his keyboards with some brilliant colours applied.

Offline uns211

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 23:17:53 »
Are these resistors suitible for the GON NerD 60/ [CTRL]ALT 60?

470R is OK for Switch-Backlight LEDs of NerD, but the size should be 0805[2012 metric].

Thank you GON!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 12:09:43 »
Hi GON!

Do you have pictures of the colors you use for the acrylic GON NerD cases? I'm trying to decide which color I want, but without pictures it's kind of hard...

Thanks,
-TS
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 19:37:20 »
Hi GON!

Do the NerD PCBs support RGB LEDs?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 24 August 2014, 19:56:23 »
Hi GON!

they don't
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 08:30:48 »
Hi GON!

Hi GON!

they don't

Thanks TacticalStache ;)

No, they don't support RGB LEDs because NerD control brightness in 256 scale based on PWM. ;)
Even though I have made/assembled/tuned HUNDREDs of keyboards for others, I myself don't have a full-tuned Custom Keyboard now.
So Ironical!

Offline Jason_IRL

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 10:49:53 »
Hi GON!

Hi GON!

they don't

Thanks TacticalStache ;)

No, they don't support RGB LEDs because NerD control brightness in 256 scale based on PWM. ;)

Gotcha, Kinda thought so, but wanted to make sure!

thanks!

Offline cseng

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:03:42 »
Wait... so that means my order hasn't been shipped yet?! My payment was accepted 15th May and it's 19 August today....
Btw I sent you a mail asking the same question...

This is what it's like when you want an artist to produce a piece of work for you.  Don't expect tight deadlines otherwise go to Filco, Leopold or Realforce and buy their product which is already made for you to pick up straight away.

I too had to wait for his work BUT it was definitely worth the wait.  Makes you appreciate all the finery of his craftsmanship when it sits in front of you ready to be plugged into the back of your PC.

Like all artists they operate at their own times and frequency, in fact I'm starting to wonder if GON is getting sick and tired of producing the same product through his studio all the time?  I certainly hope not because I want to buy some more of his keyboards with some brilliant colours applied.

i received my Nerd 2 days ago and it sure was worth the wait. his work surely justifies the delay.
"Don't expect tight deadlines otherwise go to Filco, Leopold or Realforce"
2 months + 1 week was the estimated arrival time, i had waited 3 months and it had not been sent yet, as a customer it makes total sense to contemplate the situation and at least ask for an update. i did and voiced my concern and i kindly received an answer with an explanation to the unplanned delay and the very same day it was sent straight away. no regrets.
so please, without being so dramatic try contextualize the situation.

no disrespect to GON. actually, i'm planning to order a Mx-Mini soon and a numpad. :thumb: and i also sent you a mail with a question.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:58:06 by cseng »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #209 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:34:53 »
It takes a while because (I think) this is not GON's day job, and he gets more orders than you think. If you're worried about not being able to build it without issue (like me, but I'm gonna try), you'll have to wait a while. It takes a few hours to build just 1 keyboard.

But it's way worth it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:28:35 »
It takes a while because (I think) this is not GON's day job, and he gets more orders than you think. If you're worried about not being able to build it without issue (like me, but I'm gonna try), you'll have to wait a while. It takes a few hours to build just 1 keyboard.

But it's way worth it.

So TRUE  :thumb: .

It's like waiting for a brand new Aston Martin One -77 model, that baby will take a long, long time to build but when it's delivered to your place then everything is forgiven because you'll have in your possession something that only a handful of people own on the surface of this planet  8) .

Works of Art always takes the longest time to execute hence having a little patience is really worth it when you decide to delve into owning an original GON keyboard.

Offline SirPony

• EHHHH All Caps Come @ me
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 17:31:36 »

But it's way worth it.

Gon prob has more than 10 orders at any time

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #212 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 12:57:41 »
I think his waiting list on OTD (Kbdmania? I lose track of who's on which Korean forum) was over 6 months at one point.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #213 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:23:23 »
Hey GON, is there a reason you don't take paypal?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #214 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:16:57 »

Yeah, I tried ordering a keyboard from his site but it got stuck on 4D secure (froze) and never went through.  GON why did you step away from using Paypal when it always worked in the past?

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 05:20:44 »
Hi Gon, 
I need some clarifying on the LEDs for the NerD 60. How do the Caps and numlock LEDs work? And also what about the side LEDs? If you have a photo that would be great thanks ;D
And lastly is the PCB plate mount or PCB mount? What plates are compatible with the PCB? Thank you so much and sorry for all the questions  :-[

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 12:54:57 »

Yeah, I tried ordering a keyboard from his site but it got stuck on 4D secure (froze) and never went through.  GON why did you step away from using Paypal when it always worked in the past?

I do accept paypal ;)
Choose "BankWire Transfer" and let me know, then I will tell you my paypal acc. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 31 August 2014, 13:04:18 »
Hi Gon, 
I need some clarifying on the LEDs for the NerD 60. How do the Caps and numlock LEDs work? And also what about the side LEDs? If you have a photo that would be great thanks ;D
And lastly is the PCB plate mount or PCB mount? What plates are compatible with the PCB? Thank you so much and sorry for all the questions  :-[

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/142-thickbox_default/gon-ns-nerd-tkl-w-tuningassembly.jpg

Indicator LED besides CapsLock switch includes capslock indication.
There are no dedicated numlock and scrollock LEDs, because nothing differs when numlock pressed.
And just a few use ScrLock... So I just ommited the 2 lock indicators.
But user can make NerD indicate the 2 indicator LEDs by linking to Side LED or Switch Backlight LEDs.

NerD is not designed to fit in stock kbds.
You have to use NerD housings designed for it.

As far as I know, no Korean custom kbd adopts Frame/Plate mount stabilizers.
So Ironical!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 02:31:59 »

So the cherry stabilizers you're selling should be fine?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 03:14:17 »

So the cherry stabilizers you're selling should be fine?

right.
So Ironical!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #220 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:06:38 »
Is there any way to buy polycarbonate screws for your keyboards? I can't find any M3x12mm ones anywhere! Maybe there is better availability in S. Korea?

Maybe something like this?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 10:24:00 »
Is there any way to buy polycarbonate screws for your keyboards? I can't find any M3x12mm ones anywhere! Maybe there is better availability in S. Korea?

Maybe something like this?
Show Image

Yes I can get them in Korea.(But what I can buy is not - but +)
But they are expensive, and are not sold in small qty.
100 pcs of them are sold at about $20(including domestic shipping and tax in Korea).

So if I proxy them for you, your cost will be about $22(including transaction fee) + shipping.
So Ironical!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 19:46:04 »
Hi gon!
Just clarifying, your universal plate fits the NerD 60 yeah? Also i want to add one to my order and have it shipped together, so how would i get that done? And would the shipping be cheaper since it'd all come in the one box?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 07:22:54 »
Hi gon!
Just clarifying, your universal plate fits the NerD 60 yeah? Also i want to add one to my order and have it shipped together, so how would i get that done? And would the shipping be cheaper since it'd all come in the one box?

Of course, My UV60% Plate fits NerD 60 PCB and supports its various Layouts in one plate. ;)
And it's CNC-machined, high quality Plate.

Shipping will be cheaper as they are combined in one box.
Would you place an order for additional items and let me know?
I will see how much more shipping should be added, then adjust your order, so that you can pay adjusted total. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 08:10:38 »
Ok so i just place an order and wait until you adjust before i send payment?

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 08:15:32 »
I just placed an order but haven't sent money through PayPal yet. Please let me know readjusted price so i can pay :)

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 08:56:47 »
I just placed an order but haven't sent money through PayPal yet. Please let me know readjusted price so i can pay :)

I adjusted the shipping. You may make a paypal gift payment now. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 19:21:25 »

I adjusted the shipping. You may make a paypal gift payment now. ;)
Just sent payment. Thanks again GON!

Offline archer

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 14:14:28 »
Hey GON, ygpm sir!  :thumb:

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 03:42:03 »

I checked and sent you a reply. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline archer

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:26:08 »

Sent 1 more your way.. sorry to be a bother!

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 14:32:08 »

Sent 1 more your way.. sorry to be a bother!

No problem. I sent you a reply for it. ;)
So Ironical!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 08:47:59 »
Is NerD60 working also in BIOS, I mean is it recognized also in BIOS ?
I'm asking because I have problems with a faceU ps2avr 60% board and BIOS, and it's really annoying :(
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 10:08:01 »
Is NerD60 working also in BIOS, I mean is it recognized also in BIOS ?
I'm asking because I have problems with a faceU ps2avr 60% board and BIOS, and it's really annoying :(

Yes, NerD 60 works in BIOS, only if you turn it in "6KRO" mode. ;)
With Full NKRO, not all M/B's will recognize your NerD.
So Ironical!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:50:37 »
Great, thank you :)
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 00:48:35 »
Will the NerD work with a PS/2 adapter after i've configured the key maps?

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 08:19:02 »
Hi GON, does the NerD 60 PCB fit into other cases?

For instance taylordcraig is selling this case and I was thinking about using it as an alternate:

« Last Edit: Sat, 20 September 2014, 08:24:44 by xybre »
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:00:04 »

For instance taylordcraig is selling this case and I was thinking about using it as an alternate:

Show Image

Yes, NerD 60 fits the case.
And my UV60% 2T CNC-machined Plate fits the case too. ;)

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html
As you see above, UV60% supports all layouts of NerD 60. CNC-machined 2T highest Quality Plate.
So Ironical!

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 12:29:09 »

Show Image

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html
As you see above, UV60% supports all layouts of NerD 60. CNC-machined 2T highest Quality Plate.

That universal plate sure looks nice :)

Thanks!
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:11:26 »

Show Image

Thanks!

GONs build quality is superb.. If I didnt have a GON case Id get that plate.  :thumb:

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #240 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 18:46:33 »

Show Image

Thanks!

GONs build quality is superb.. If I didnt have a GON case Id get that plate.  :thumb:

Thanks duxtinhxc ;)
So Ironical!

Offline dante

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 07:03:05 »
GON,

Was just asking to find out if you have made any movement into making Alps an option on your boards?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 07:53:39 »
GON,

Was just asking to find out if you have made any movement into making Alps an option on your boards?

Why not even use Matias Switches as well  :thumb: ?

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #243 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:40:08 »
GON,

GON,

Why not even use Matias Switches as well  :thumb: ?

As for now, the biggest barrier for me in Alps is "Keycaps".
Alps does not have firm standard reference like CHERRY.
I think I need someone who will co-operate for caps, while I work for the PCB and Housing. ;)
I don't know when... ;)
So Ironical!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #244 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 13:57:23 »
I think if you got in touch with Matias, a GON designed Matias ALPS board is a definite possibility.

And I'd totally buy one.

Offline GON

• * Maker
    • GONsKeyboardWorks
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 00:26:35 »
I think if you got in touch with Matias, a GON designed Matias ALPS board is a definite possibility.

And I'd totally buy one.

The most important issue is "QTY", if there is enough qty, keycaps can be manufactured separately. Housings, PCBs, switches, and others don't matter.
But I'm afraid there wouldn't be enough demand... just for a couple dozen, PCBs and Housings cannot be made. It's too time demanding...
So Ironical!

Offline dante

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:06:17 »
GON,

I've asked Matias to help you out.  He is supplying ABS/PBT ALPS keycaps to the community.

Here is the post I sent him: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63347.0

He is presently working on a Group buy 60% board that is hybrid Cherry MX/Alps compatible!

Offline dante

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:24:56 »
BTW GON: When you mention "QTY" - How many boards minimum would you like to see ordered in order to go through with one of your designs?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 16:28:50 »
when someone asked him about the possibility for a 75% NerD, he said he would make them if there were 50 orders

Offline tsusing

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 12:19:06 »
Hi i'm planning to change one of my MX switches using this guide:
Since my GON Nerd TKL has LED's attached on each switch, am i breaking something by removing the switches the same way as he did?