Author Topic: Can the controller from a CM Storm QFR be used for Alps switches?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline dante

Thinking is cheap - I have limited production skills - so this is mostly a "what if."

Since QFR's are relatively cheap - would it be possible to build a PCB/Plate that was compatible with the QFR case/controller?  Thus a conversation with Matias might provide stabilizers/etc...

This might be along the lines of "learning how to solder" kit using preexisting stuff.

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
Re: Can the controller from a CM Storm QFR be used for Alps switches?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:23:15 »
Teensys are cheap controllers. It's just making a pcb+plate that gets expensive. You could always try hardwiring if you want.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:27:45 »
Teensys are cheap controllers. It's just making a pcb+plate that gets expensive. You could always try hardwiring if you want.

teensy is cheap I agree, but if you've already got a qfr you've also have the controller ready to go...

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 20:29:34 »
Fair enough. I suppose it would work fine. I believe both cherry and alps switches work by simply completing a circuit - no fancy black magic or anything.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 13:13:43 »
I'm certainly no expert... but people have used controllers from rubberdomes to make [insert better switch type here] bluetooth keyboards and so on. It should work as long as you duplicated the martix rows and columns from the original PCB to match your new one or handwired.