Author Topic: Guess it's finally time for my intro!  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Tigermelon

Guess it's finally time for my intro!
« on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 15:39:17 »
Hey everyone!

Just a college student with too much free time on his hands, and a slight addiction to feels...
I've been lurking here for god knows how long. I started with a quickfire TK(reds), then poker2(browns), and finally a poker2(clears, tex aluminum case,vortex doubleshot pbt). I've just about finished my endgame with a recent purchase of a Type-S so I finally feel qualified to post on these forums haha.

I'm excited to spend a majority of my time hunting for topre keycaps and figuring out what to do with my old boards. And excited to try to contribute to the community of course!

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
Re: Guess it's finally time for my intro!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 15:41:39 »
Hey everyone!

Just a college student with too much free time on his hands, and a slight addiction to feels...
I've been lurking here for god knows how long. I started with a quickfire TK(reds), then poker2(browns), and finally a poker2(clears, tex aluminum case,vortex doubleshot pbt). I've just about finished my endgame with a recent purchase of a Type-S so I finally feel qualified to post on these forums haha.

I'm excited to spend a majority of my time hunting for topre keycaps and figuring out what to do with my old boards. And excited to try to contribute to the community of course!

End game is a word that doesn't exist in the GH vernacular.

But congrats on the acquisition! It was my "end game" keyboard as well. And now I have... well too many keyboards...
null

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 15:43:02 »
Hey Tigermelon!

Welcome to the forum! You've assembled quite a nice collection pretty quickly, you'll fit in real well around here! :)

Congrats on the type-s! You're going to love it, topre switches might be underwhelming for you at first, but they quickly grow on you.  Unfortunately, as you implied, Topre keycaps are somewhat scarce right now, but you shouldn't have too much difficulty in finding some stock replacements for your HHKB, it's the realforce sets that are expensive and hard to find right now unfortunately.   :-[

Also, the endgame is a lie here.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Tigermelon

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 15:55:52 »
End game is a word that doesn't exist in the GH vernacular.

But congrats on the acquisition! It was my "end game" keyboard as well. And now I have... well too many keyboards...

Also, the endgame is a lie here.

I was afraid that was the case... And my experience with topres stops at my friends type heaven, so I'm still expecting more than that! I've looked at nearly every sound test so I have a good idea of what to expect on the "silent" front, and I prefer it over the thock for everyday use.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 16:10:57 »
Welcome! I think you will find that here there is no such thing as an endgame  :p

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 16:16:41 »
Welcome to geekhack.  I thought I found my "endgame" board with my HHKB.  Then I swapped in 55g domes.  Now I want a MX board for all these caps I keep accumulating.  Regardless, good luck.  I am sure that you will have a great time here.   :thumb:

Edit:  I am also going to pick up some silent sliders soon, to finish off the HHKB.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:11:37 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Type-S what?  RealForce or HHKB?

Either way, nice :)

Topre keycap sets are few and far between at the moment, but most of the artisans make Topre keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tigermelon

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 16:15:32 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Topre keycap sets are few and far between at the moment, but most of the artisans make Topre keycaps.

Unfortunately, the seller I bought the Type-S from was a scammer, so I got my money back, but don't have my type-s  :'( debating buying a novatouch and doing the landing pad mod instead

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 05:46:00 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Unfortunately, the seller I bought the Type-S from was a scammer, so I got my money back, but don't have my type-s  :'( debating buying a novatouch and doing the landing pad mod instead

Damn!

At least you got your money back!

AFAIK the Type-S has slightly different sliders which do not reduce the travel distance, whereas adding O-rings or landing pads or dental bands or whatever to standard sliders does reduce travel slightly.  Something to bear in mind.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ