Author Topic: Interesting KSI POS boards, NIB, $19 shipped  (Read 25462 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Interesting KSI POS boards, NIB, $19 shipped
« on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 01:25:42 »
Key Source International KSI-1407 PB Cash Register Keyboard

They've used Cherry MX in the past (see GH threads here and here), but these may be newer and not MKs. I checked the manufacturer's site, but only later models are described. They do, however, have this software page including what I assume is a Windows-based programming utility for the extra keys, that includes this model.

And hey, even if it isn't mechanical—NIB, $19 shipped, right?

120 of them available, as I post. Check out the novel placement of the nav keys, BTW...  Left-handers should appreciate that.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Interesting KSI POS boards, NIB, $19 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 01:27:06 »
I see they're pad-printed, too.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 22:56:29 »
At $19 a pop you can burn through some keys with impunity.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 23:18:35 »
Of course as I've often pointed out—and I'm sure you're all tired of reading: PP legends last much longer if you wash your hands before you type. Dirt's abrasive. I have pad-printed boards I've been using for years that have yet to show significant signs of wear.

I should probably start a separate thread on this, so whenever I have the urge to post about it again, I can just do it there and avoid bothering everybody.  :?)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 04:17:29 »
PP legends last much longer if you wash your hands before you type.
However these prints have a protective coating over them, you can tell by looking close at the angled brackets and the question mark keys.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 05:54:58 »
PP legends last much longer if you wash your hands before you type.
However these prints have a protective coating over them, you can tell by looking close at the angled brackets and the question mark keys.

Yes, that helps too.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 11:49:25 »
At $19 a pop you can burn through some keys with impunity.
Not to mention those relegendable keys that you can have some serious fun with.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 December 2017, 02:41:12 »
Not to mention those relegendable keys that you can have some serious fun with.

Yeah, if only life were like that, huh?

Offline billbert12

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 15:39:53 »
Greetings! I just bought a Cherry LPOS G86-71410EUADAA for about $29 including shipping. Feels like a beast!
How did you do with your KSI cash register keyboard? Were you able to completely configure the (re-)legendable keys around the keypad, with or without a Cherry (?) software driver?
(And, the link to the eBay sale still works -- they have about 109 keyboards left!!)

I'm hoping to be able to use a bunch of extra keys on this board for macros on a Mac, but while all the function keys show up as normal on my Cherry LPOS, there's an entire second row and more that don't appear to exist on a regular keyboard -- but that I'd like to use. Cherry doesn't make any software driver for a Mac, unless I start screwing around in Linux...

Looking for any ideas!
Thanks, Bill T

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 00:13:40 »
If anyone buys one of these, maybe you'll tell Bill how you did with it.

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 10:01:23 »
Just ordered one will report back as soon as it arrives in 8 days. Can tell you a little bit more about it however i was able to confirm that some versions have the cherry switches while there are others that use a cheaper Chinese switch apparently there is more than a couple variations including one that reads credit cards and one for secure access systems although i haven't been able to find an example of the latter allot of these seem to use the ps/2 connector and all can be programmed through a few different means.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 04:35:30 »
If only life were relegendable, I meant.

Offline JP

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 17:54:21 »

If you are already a legend why would you want to be relegendable? Why be possess'd with double pomp?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 01:36:12 »
Just ordered one will report back as soon as it arrives in 8 days. Can tell you a little bit more about it however i was able to confirm that some versions have the cherry switches while there are others that use a cheaper Chinese switch apparently there is more than a couple variations including one that reads credit cards and one for secure access systems although i haven't been able to find an example of the latter allot of these seem to use the ps/2 connector and all can be programmed through a few different means.

With highly specialized boards like these, sometimes the only way to know is to look at one. Which you'll apparently be able to do pretty soon!

If you are already a legend why would you want to be relegendable? Why be possess'd with double pomp?

Me, a legend? Ha. Now, someone like Chyros, or Rowdy, or Fohat, or Dorkvader, that's different... Or you, for that matter.

But hey, I just noticed your side-sig—could I have been wrong??  :p

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 07:47:44 »

With highly specialized boards like these, sometimes the only way to know is to look at one. Which you'll apparently be able to do pretty soon!

Me, a legend? Ha. Now, someone like Chyros, or Rowdy, or Fohat, or Dorkvader, that's different... Or you, for that matter.

Not gonna lie I like non-standard keyboards if just for the novelty of it the relegendable keys are of particular interest to me mostly because I've never really had the chance to work with them before.  Also its odd that I cant find a teardown for this board anywhere I've never had that issue before.

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 15:35:34 »
I am typing this message on the Ksi-1407 pos keyboard. So this is a "memcanical" style keyboard and while most of the keys arent awful the space-bar is like massaging sillyputty and about as responsive as well However the keyboard ways a a whopping 5.4 lbs has an old school pizo-electric speaker built in the screeched when you plug it in and overall is relatively easy to program as in download the exe from ksi and reprogram EVERY key which is the stored to the keyboard built in memory. As for being easier to use for lefties because of the arrow key placement sadly no not at all. I had a friend try it and while appreciated the bulk of the thing he couldn't rest his hand anywhere to use said keys. Also the keys are VERY close together weirdly so and leads to multiple keys being hit at the same time unless you have slender dainty fingers. Also on the subject of size its about the same size as a standard 10 key gaming keyboard is very comparable to my Steel Series meemchanical its really a shame that the switches in this thing feel so awful and inconsistent. I see a great future in this keyboards use as being a programmable switchboard for a flight sim or something comparable. Or i can use it to club someone seriously this keyboard is made from dwarf star material or somethin. In short want a good fully programable keyboard for all your shortcuts? This is it. Want a useable typer with a good layout good feed back and a responsive spacebar? Dont get this one.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 20:52:27 »
Thanks for the review!   :thumb:

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 11:12:31 »
Are the keycaps Alps- mount, MX-mount, or other?  They could be a cheap source of interestingly sized relegendables
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 12:48:47 »
Are the keycaps Alps- mount, MX-mount, or other?  They could be a cheap source of interestingly sized relegendables

They appear to be alps compatible although outside the relegendables the keys feel really poorly made IMO and even those arent super great thin plastic and poor stem support although they are the most comfortable relegendables i've ever touched as weird side note

Offline Joebeazelman

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 11:49:13 »
So what's the verdict?  Is it ALPS, Cherry or rubberdome keyswitches?  Any photos of the switches or caps?

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 12:42:09 »
Linear actuated rubber domes. Dont have it readily available to post pics of the keys. At work right now. Iirc they are alps compatible. but not reccomended shallow keycaps and thinly made so the flex during use relegendables were pretty nice though not really as relegendable as they claim however. those arent peices of paper thats silkscreened on there.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 12:49:47 »
So what's the verdict?  Is it ALPS, Cherry or rubberdome keyswitches?  Any photos of the switches or caps?

I'd like to see a photo of the underside of a stabilized cap as well if somebody could be awesome enough to provide it. If they are ALPS mount & use ALPS style stabilizers I'd probably grab a few of these boards just for the caps. Sure they may be cheap & thin with PP legends, but considering how hard it can be to source ALPS caps at $19 a pop I'd be willing to at least give them a try.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 12:52:17 »
Linear actuated rubber domes. Dont have it readily available to post pics of the keys. At work right now. Iirc they are alps compatible. but not reccomended shallow keycaps and thinly made so the flex during use relegendables were pretty nice though not really as relegendable as they claim however. those arent peices of paper thats silkscreened on there.

Thanks for the reply! You snuck it in while I was typing my last post LOL! Are the caps any worse than say Tai-Hao thin double shot ABS ALPS sets?

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 13:22:52 »
I havent experienced those myself yet but these are SPECTACULARLY awful thin plastic and very short those relegendables though are pretty good quality though

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 00:16:31 »

Wow! You must be a legend Ander!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 02:42:49 »
Wow! You must be a legend Ander!

I understand that "elevated" also means "high" in pothead-speak.

Offline Joebeazelman

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:26:56 »
I havent experienced those myself yet but these are SPECTACULARLY awful thin plastic and very short those relegendables though are pretty good quality though

I gather from your short review that even at $19 shipped, it's not worth it. Shucks!  I was hoping the keycaps would be at least on par with the Dell Black Bigfoot, which has pretty ****ty pad printed ones. A good deal of the printing on mine have vanished. The thinness of the keycaps may not be a deal breaker, since ALPS SKCLs and SKCLs tend to be on the thinner side of the spectrum. Chyrosan remarked that ALPS generally sound better with thinner ones.

Your description of the cramped keyspacing, however, gives me pause. Is it due to the keycaps, switch spacing, or some other factor?  I'm thinking the keyboard PCB and or the housing could make a very nice host for ALPS donor switches. It would be a shame to gut a even the most common ALPS keyboard for this purpose.

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 22:40:19 »
No these are far worse you flex the caps with very little effort