Author Topic: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - mmm, QMK?  (Read 31759 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - PCB Color Tiebreaker!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 16:44:16 »
Good news mad lads, got the quotes back on the PCBs and it's even better than anticipated. Previously I had estimated PCB cost at $35 apiece, but now even with the "fancy" soldermask colors we're looking at only $30 apiece at 50 units MOQ each for both the Matte Black and Purple. Not much of a drop at higher units, $28 at 100 units each, but that's fine with me since the starting price is so low. This also means that the total price of the kit will be lower, so I'll work on finalizing that next.

Offline Tree_

Re: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - PCB Quotes In!
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:04:33 »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:15:06 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:33:20 »
Sweet, can't wait to get one!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 23:24:47 »
Alright, so JOlimon is touching base with his supplier to get detailed quotes for the frosted acrylic pieces for the middle and hipro layers. Additionally, I have the pricing for the plates of the case. As mentioned, we're gonna allow ordering the plates in each color, so they'll each have their own MOQs, which are as follows:

10 sets(bottom+top) - $25 each
25 sets - $20
50 sets - $17
75 sets - $14
100 sets - $13.5

I'll be putting an option on the order form that will give you a backup in the case that your first color doesn't hit MOQ, most likely one of the two "main" color plates, black or white.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 23:28:10 »
Alright, so JOlimon is touching base with his supplier to get detailed quotes for the frosted acrylic pieces for the middle and hipro layers. Additionally, I have the pricing for the plates of the case. As mentioned, we're gonna allow ordering the plates in each color, so they'll each have their own MOQs, which are as follows:

10 sets(bottom+top) - $25 each
25 sets - $20
50 sets - $17
75 sets - $14
100 sets - $13.5

I'll be putting an option on the order form that will give you a backup in the case that your first color doesn't hit MOQ, most likely one of the two "main" color plates, black or white.

This pricing is looking nice!!! Hopefully all can be had for under $75.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #106 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 03:40:55 »
this is kinda cool and I want one to give to a friend... 75 bucks it wouldn't be bad hooking him up with his first mech for so cheap. Its still be far superior to the standard issue HP rubber dome that came with his computer.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 13:52:27 »
Something else cool, I'm looking into having GMK stabs available as part of the GB, for everyone that doesn't just have a bucket of stabs sitting around :3

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 17:06:17 »
Something else cool, I'm looking into having GMK stabs available as part of the GB, for everyone that doesn't just have a bucket of stabs sitting around :3

Sweet. I'd definitely pick up a few sets of em

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 11:07:10 »

I can't wait!
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline amcat

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 13:34:56 »
okay i'm totally new to this but i really want/need a 96key and this seems like a perfect opportunity to get one and learn about building it in the process. my friend has access to soldering equipment but my main question is what else do i need after getting the kit from this gb? and about how much money will i be spending in total?

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 14:08:59 »
okay i'm totally new to this but i really want/need a 96key and this seems like a perfect opportunity to get one and learn about building it in the process. my friend has access to soldering equipment but my main question is what else do i need after getting the kit from this gb? and about how much money will i be spending in total?
You're going to need switches, caps, and some stabilizers at the very least. The final cost of the build is going to vary greatly depending on how much you feel like spending.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 15:02:20 »

You'll need your choice of switches, stabilizers, and keycaps. I'll be running a mini-GB for stablizers alongside the boards, switches you can get from somewhere like https://novelkeys.xyz/ , and keycaps can be had from a bunch of different places. Depending on what you're looking for in switches and keycaps, it should definitely be possible to get this completed board for less than $200.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 15:10:31 »
You're going to need switches, caps, and some stabilizers at the very least. The final cost of the build is going to vary greatly depending on how much you feel like spending.

For example, you could buy Gateron switches for $0.20 ea
Or Zealios switches for $0.85 ea

And you can get a keyset pretty cheap or very pricy. It's all up to how you want to build it.

Offline amcat

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 23:32:50 »

For example, you could buy Gateron switches for $0.20 ea
Or Zealios switches for $0.85 ea

And you can get a keyset pretty cheap or very pricy. It's all up to how you want to build it.

thanks for the info! i was hesitant in asking but glad i did. I knew I'd need switches and caps but I had no idea what stabs were. looking forward to see this gb happen!

one more question, how easy is it to screw up and ruin your everything? or is there some room for error?

Offline stryker09

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 02:11:10 »
cant wait for this to drop!

my plan is:
frosted top and clear all the way down
or
black fr4 top and clear all the way down for that underglow magic

Offline azachhh

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 15:26:23 »
When is this going to GB?!? Can’t wait to grab a few.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 18:12:32 »
Looking to start soon, waiting on a couple of things to finalize the case design and cost.

Offline azachhh

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 20:24:10 »
Looking to start soon, waiting on a couple of things to finalize the case design and cost.

Woot woot! Can’t wait.

Offline MatchstickMan

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 14:32:20 »

Yesssss
Current Projects:

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
Re: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - awaiting final case quotes!
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 23:55:07 »
definitely hyped for this PCB!  the stabs would also be awesome, as id need to buy them anyways :)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - now with gold immersion finish!
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 09:19:55 »
Good news for everyone looking for photogenic PCBs, as well as those that just like a little more bling in their life: both our PCB colors are now coming with gold immersion finish for no additional costs! Now we're just waiting on confirmed pricing for the acrylic bits and we're good to get this show on the road!

Offline MatchstickMan

Re: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - now with gold immersion finish!
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 10:00:34 »
...gold immersion finish...

The opulence of this board won't even be rivaled by RAMA!
Current Projects:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] budget96 PCB and Case - mmm, QMK?
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 16:55:22 »
Just another small update while we're still working on this, we're still waiting to hear back on frosted acrylic pricing to finalize case pricing. Additionally, after finding out that QMK support is possible on ps2avrgb boards, I'll be working along with the wonderful mr mechmerlin in order to try and get QMK working on here. I figure that there's really no harm in getting it QMK functional and can only help to get more people interested in the board.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 16:58:07 »
Just another small update while we're still working on this, we're still waiting to hear back on frosted acrylic pricing to finalize case pricing. Additionally, after finding out that QMK support is possible on ps2avrgb boards, I'll be working along with the wonderful mr mechmerlin in order to try and get QMK working on here. I figure that there's really no harm in getting it QMK functional and can only help to get more people interested in the board.

QMK =D

I was definitely going to buy one already, but now I'm super stoked for this!

Offline lollipoplouie

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 17:11:47 »
Wow qmk support too! I am even more stoked for this now, can't wait to see the case options and for everything to make it into the groupbuy phase!!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 18:33:54 »
Alright, so we've hit a "good news, bad news" situation here.

I'll start with the good news:
 - QMK support is on its way, I worked with the lovely mechmerlin last night to get the matrix and pinout of the PCB all traced out, so now he's working on getting that plugged in where it goes before I'll be test-shoving it onto one of the protos.

- JOlimon finally got numbers back on the frosted acrylic mid and hipro sections, which leads us to

Bad news:
 - The acrylic bits are pricier than I wanted them to be, especially the hipro sections. Frosted 9mm is so pricey that it's actually cheaper to get frosted 3mm and put the time into cutting 3 slices of it to use, which brings us to the current discussion point: single 9mm slices or triple 3mm slices.

While it would be more inline with the budget-oriented nature of this build to go with the cheaper 3mm slices, I know that I personally would be willing to pay the small bit extra for the appearance of the single 9mm slice,though others may prefer the small cost savings of the 3mm slices. Additionally, the hipro layer may not be viable with the 3mm slices. The cost difference between the options would be less that $5 per case.

I've got this poll here https://www.strawpoll.me/15578311 to see what the general consensus is going to look like for this.

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 19:19:23 »
I think it depends on how much more the single middle piece would be compared to the three stacked pieces. If it's not that much more, I would 100% be willing to pay that extra for the single piece of acrylic.

Offline azachhh

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 20:57:19 »
I think it depends on how much more the single middle piece would be compared to the three stacked pieces. If it's not that much more, I would 100% be willing to pay that extra for the single piece of acrylic.

Yeah, can we get the actual estimated price? If it’s really only a $5 difference - I would totally rather have the single piece.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 21:29:01 »

Yeah, can we get the actual estimated price? If it’s really only a $5 difference - I would totally rather have the single piece.

Same question here. $5 isn't a problem but I'm curious to see where the final total is atm.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 22:11:19 »
For rough pricing, since it's not quite finalized yet, we'd be looking at ~$37 per 9mm middle and ~$33 per 3mm middles, both at 15 moq.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 22:53:27 »
Honestly, I'd pay the extra ~$4 for the 9mm piece. It's such a small difference.

Offline azachhh

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 05:31:40 »
Honestly, I'd pay the extra ~$4 for the 9mm piece. It's such a small difference.

Same. Sounds like it would save on production time as well? Not having to cut the individual 3mm pieces.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:15:41 »
A similar 4 dollar or so increase for the hi pro ones as well?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 10:26:30 »

If hipro tops could be done with the 3mm slices, which I'm not certain they could, the price difference would be less, closer to $2-$3, due to not being able to nest them like the middle slices can be. Right now the pricing for the hipro tops is around $47 for 9mm, unfortunately higher than I was expecting due to higher material usage from being unable to nest and the costs of the frost material.

Offline azachhh

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:19:13 »

If hipro tops could be done with the 3mm slices, which I'm not certain they could, the price difference would be less, closer to $2-$3, due to not being able to nest them like the middle slices can be. Right now the pricing for the hipro tops is around $47 for 9mm, unfortunately higher than I was expecting due to higher material usage from being unable to nest and the costs of the frost material.

So using the highest estimates right now, what’s the cost of a full board looking like? I assume it’s still under $150.....maybe still under $100?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:00:39 »
So at 15MOQ for the middles, which uses the 10MOQ price point for the plates, we're looking at:

PCB - $30
Plates - $25/set
Middle - $37
Hipro - $47
GMK Screw-in stabs - $10/set

So you're looking at $92 base, $139 with hipro, $149 with hipro and stabs, all at the lowest MOQ. And all things considered, this is pretty much ready to move forward. We've got all our pricing and some last details can be worked out during the buy period.

Offline runsamok

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:20:04 »
How thick is the middle chunk? Is it the same frosted as the hipro section?

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:30:13 »
So at 15MOQ for the middles, which uses the 10MOQ price point for the plates, we're looking at:

PCB - $30
Plates - $25/set
Middle - $37
Hipro - $47

So you're looking at $92 base, $139 with hipro, $149 with hipro and stabs, all at the lowest MOQ. And all things considered, this is pretty much ready to move forward. We've got all our pricing and some last details can be worked out during the buy period.

I know MOQ was discussed for the plates, anything for the acrylic? Also is there a possibility to buy just plates and pcb (no acrylic) and run naked?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:44:22 »
Both middle and hipro are the 9mm frost. MOQ points for the middle and hipros will be 15, 30, and 60 units each. Depending on how our hardware situation turns out defines if the middle will be optional for the build.

Offline azachhh

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:59:33 »

PCB - $30
Plates - $25/set
Middle - $37
Hipro - $47

That's still a beautiful price to me.
I will definitely be in for 2 or 3 of these.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:10:23 »

PCB - $30
Plates - $25/set
Middle - $37
Hipro - $47

102 + cost of switches.. you can get a complete non Hipro set.. which is a insanely good deal.. if nothing more it be fun to practice with. I know you most likely answered this before does the board have RGB glow under it? and is the middle/plates going to be frosted I guess Middle will for sure be some type of plastic.. not sure what you worked out with the plates. Either way really interested cause it just seems like a cheap fun way to try out some new switches and practice soldering.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 16:11:19 »
Middle will be frost acrylic for the built in underglow, FR4 with several color options for cheaper and more durable plates.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:48:49 »
o sweet so we get our choice of colors! very very nice! I am even more excited I kinda wanting to build a UV board.. use purple underglow! Purple LED's then pair it with some type of nice purple keycap

Offline Tree_

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:58:33 »
Donut, can be get photos to show the height difference of the case between hipro and base?

Sorry if there's older photos that already show this.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 18:32:37 »

This was just using another mid section as a hipro layer, but aside from the holes it's the same shape and still 9mm.

Offline vicot

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 18:38:23 »
how well would the underglow LEDs light up the hipro layer? or not at all?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 18:55:00 »

Probably not any substantial amount, which is one downside of the FR4 plate. Backlighting should light it up well though.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 08:57:18 »

Probably not any substantial amount, which is one downside of the FR4 plate. Backlighting should light it up well though.

Is there a possibility of buying a kit without any acrylic? Just pcb and fr4 plates?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:43:41 »
That depends on which hardware we're able to use. We have 2 different standoffs that should be available to us, a skinnier one and a wider one. The wider one is the one we need due to the wider holes in the FR4 to accommodate the countersinking screws, but the shipment of those wider ones has been delayed so far. If we have to end up using the skinnier standoffs, they won't be able to be used without the middle section. I'm hoping we're able to use the wider ones since I like the extra durability from them as well.