Author Topic: White on Black PBT Keycaps?  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Mkilbride

White on Black PBT Keycaps?
« on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 21:14:52 »
Trying to find some. Decided those 10-14$ ones...well yeah probably won't be good. Wanna replace my old CM Storm XT Keys as the Shine is pretty back on them these days. I've put off moving onto a new Switch. I was suggested Gatereon Blacks or Yellow. The only keyboard I could find with Gateron Blacks was the GMMK. Which in full form factor doesn't have a detachable cable...which is kinda big for me. I got a 15% off Coupon, so I could in theory buy one with Gat Blacks for like 80$ and then my own keycaps for say 40~$.  They don't sell Yellows sadly. The only thing about the GMMK I don't like besides the cable is the fact I hear it feels pretty cheap. Hot swapping is nice, but I hear it can feel kinda "meh" in terms of build quality, also stories of switches just falling out at times.

So I've been trying to find White on Black PBT Keycaps for 40-50$ range.  I can't, for the most part.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1947

Out of Stock.

IKBC sells some 25$ ones, but a lot of reviews say the PBT is quite a bit thin and sometimes you have to custom shave them to fit.  Ducky has some, but the font is nowhere near my liking and they're LED Keycaps, so they look really poor in terms of "Whiteness" like the Vortex above. 

Someone on reddit linked me to some as well...but they cost 80$+ shipping. For 90$ I could get a new CM that comes with PBT Keycaps or even the GMMK. Just for the price of keycaps.  Hell, even a ducky can go to about 90$ if you look at the right sites. So paying 80$+ for Keycaps seems absurd to me.

Offline devoi

Re: White on Black PBT Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 21:41:13 »
WoB is limited to either pad print or doubleshot, pad print is relatively bad all around, and unfortunately PBT doubleshot caps aren't exactly commonplace yet - leopold has a thick side printed black PBT set, but those are just as hard to find

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 05:20:35 »
WoB is limited to either pad print or doubleshot
And several other methods, but not dye-sublimation, no.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 08:59:02 »
Just buy this. (It's a preorder.)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2825

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 12:08:51 »
Well, that looks nice and all, but I've heard full on blacks are too stiff, with Gateron Blacks being much superior.

Also the layout is weird on that. The Insert key on the numpad is small, there's only one Window key. Seem to be missing entire rows of keys as well.