Author Topic: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards  (Read 59592 times)

Offline PRkeys

Re: HuB - New Keycap Profile | Kickstarter Launch | From TheVanKeyboards
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 23:46:42 »
I like the orange accent in there!

Here another one. Was thinking of calling it "Purple Heart" but is looking too much like Laser

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #351 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 13:56:15 »
25% Funded! Congratulations on another step milestone.  :thumb:

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #352 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 14:03:58 »
I'm in for the 3 HuB set and a minivan! I think I'm feeling the Dreamweaver, Midnight, and Royal. Let's hope we reach the goal.

Offline mkozlows

« Reply #353 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 15:29:56 »
guess i'm the only one who cares.

Here's a blog post where a keycap designer (Matt3o) gives his opinion about "knockoffs":

I know for a fact that colors can be actually copyrighted, but if you design a keycap set picking a bunch of colors from SP color-ring I don’t think you should claim any right on it.

So I don’t really care if you use the same Granite colors. Actually I encourage it! If people like them, by all means use them! ...

I’m actually honored if you find Granite a source of inspiration and you wish to make something similar.

You should read the post, because it talks about the things beyond just color choice that go into design a truly original set of keycaps, and I think the Hub people -- who are creating their own profile and iconography -- are pretty clearly doing original work here, even if the color schemes are sometimes reminiscent of other keycaps.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #354 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 23:47:35 »
I hope there are some concrete plans for how to inject more momentum and hype into this project, as well as reach a broader audience, because the current trend on Kicktraq shows HuB not getting full funding, and the projections are even worse. It needs roughly 8k per day but barely reached that over the last four days. I have hope for this project, but I'm worried that if it doesn't look successful enough, there will be people who decide not to back it because they think it will fail. :(

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 00:15:32 »
I hope there are some concrete plans for how to inject more momentum and hype into this project, as well as reach a broader audience, because the current trend on Kicktraq shows HuB not getting full funding, and the projections are even worse. It needs roughly 8k per day but barely reached that over the last four days. I have hope for this project, but I'm worried that if it doesn't look successful enough, there will be people who decide not to back it because they think it will fail. :(

we've got stuff working, but we shall see. There was a lot of hate from minute one so don't know what to say really

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 00:44:12 »

Kicktraq's 'projections' are pretty meaningless.  They're just trying to fit the curve of funding over time but at least every single Kickstarter I've ever participated in has seen a spike in activity at the beginning, then a big slump in the middle, followed by a rush of activity towards the end as people previously on the fence hop onboard.  Kicktraq's approach is not sophisticated enough to really say anything about that last part and they've always been way off in the end.  For literally every single project I've actually cared enough about to check.  And I don't mean like a few percent off, I mean by a factor of 2 or 3.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #357 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 01:18:59 »

Kicktraq's 'projections' are pretty meaningless.  They're just trying to fit the curve of funding over time but at least every single Kickstarter I've ever participated in has seen a spike in activity at the beginning, then a big slump in the middle, followed by a rush of activity towards the end as people previously on the fence hop onboard.  Kicktraq's approach is not sophisticated enough to really say anything about that last part and they've always been way off in the end.  For literally every single project I've actually cared enough about to check.  And I don't mean like a few percent off, I mean by a factor of 2 or 3.

I bet there are tons of folks waiting, sitting on the fence, that'll jump on in the last couple weeks. unfortunately the middle is the most boring part of the whole thing and for a two month kickstarter we have a much longer middle. It just means we have more time to share and spread the word and hope we can get that final push to be huge.

We can do this but we need everyone's help. We've got big things we are pushing with some big players, but everyone needs to share and like and push. We got this.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 07:23:46 »

That's current trends.  They said they trended it towards 617k last week.  As someone said, though kicktraq is a valuable tool in running a kickstarter, it's merely trends (not projections) based on some model, and is definitely not always correct.  A lot depends on what is being done on the ground, especially with a large funding goal.

There are also experimental trends and projections tabs, with different methods of modeling.  Those are not 100% either, however.  What I've always wanted is for them to include historical trends also, so you can see how their model adapts with time, but they don't show that unfortunately.  It's all very interesting, especially as currently I'm working with Data Science professionally (though for a very different goal), and would love to see the algorithms that they have chosen to use, and talk to them about why, though the linked article does give some clues.

http://blog.kicktraq.com/why-you-should-take-kicktraq-trends-with-a-grain-of-salt/

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 07:47:15 »

That's current trends.  They said they trended it towards 617k last week.  As someone said, though kicktraq is a valuable tool in running a kickstarter, it's merely trends (not projections) based on some model, and is definitely not always correct.  A lot depends on what is being done on the ground, especially with a large funding goal.

There are also experimental trends and projections tabs, with different methods of modeling.  Those are not 100% either, however.  What I've always wanted is for them to include historical trends also, so you can see how their model adapts with time, but they don't show that unfortunately.  It's all very interesting, especially as currently I'm working with Data Science professionally (though for a very different goal), and would love to see the algorithms that they have chosen to use, and talk to them about why, though the linked article does give some clues.

http://blog.kicktraq.com/why-you-should-take-kicktraq-trends-with-a-grain-of-salt/

To my eyes, after just a quick glance, it looks like the trend is simply approximating the kickstarter with a linear function with the slope set equal to the current average income per day. To be quite honest, that sounds like a terrible projection. Something like ln(x) be more true to life, at least until the project is funded, at which point a project often seems to get some extra boost.

The projections look significantly better, but, one would know what they base them on. Having said that, I don't think the lower end of the projection is far from the truth.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 08:42:43 »
We are finalizing some deals with larger vendors that should help in a couple of ways :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 11:52:18 »
Hey everyone we've currently reached out to most vendors in different markets. We're trying to reach out to the korean community now. We are looking for any supporter willing to help us translate or potentially host a gb in korea. PM me on gh or reddit if you're willing to help out. Thanks a ton  :thumb:

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 13:50:45 »
Great to hear!  I'm hoping to get a group buy running in the small part of the community I'm active in to pledge at the group/vendor rate.  I hope to get a commitment to you all by next week.   :thumb:

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 14:03:21 »
Great to hear!  I'm hoping to get a group buy running in the small part of the community I'm active in to pledge at the group/vendor rate.  I hope to get a commitment to you all by next week.   :thumb:

that would be amazing! thanks so much for the support

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 21:17:08 »
We hit 130k great stuff guys!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline TyrionLannister

« Reply #367 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 18:36:07 »
What are the actual dimensions of the keys? SP has sheets for DCS, DSA, g20, etc. Was curious about the overall width/height of the keys, from an overhead view, as well as the "typeable" area / circular scoop for fingertips.

See here: https://pimpmykeyboard.com/template/images/DSAFamily.pdf

I'm referring to the right of the PDF, under the section "Standard 1x1"

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 11:41:24 »
This is just the beginning.

After reading and adjusting to a ton of feedback that everyone has given us in regards to HUB, we have made the decision to postpone the project and cancel the current funding campaign. After so many wonderful suggestions and changes, we are confident that we can organize and present the project with more clarity upon relaunching.

We visited our manufacturer this past week to see what would be possible. In doing so, we figured out a way to extend board compatibility, and have a more flexible color production per set.

We hope to have your support and additional feedback as we move forward.

We feel that it would be beneficial for the project to have the community share directly with us via our Slack channel at http://bit.ly/tvkslack, Instagram @thevankeyboards, or as always at support@thevankeyboards.com.

Thank you so much for all of your support! Everyone who has put in anything, we are super grateful to have you supporting us. We will re-launch with more support, and with a clearer description with the feedback and suggestions from everyone who has contributed their voice and been involved.

We thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Lets change the way we type, and shape the future of keycaps together.

I will be closing the gh discussion thread. If you have more feedback or ideas hit us up on our community slack channel.

http://bit.ly/tvkslack

-TheVan Keyboards

Offline mbsurfer

« Reply #369 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 11:46:00 »
This is just the beginning.

After reading and adjusting to a ton of feedback that everyone has given us in regards to HUB, we have made the decision to postpone the project and cancel the current funding campaign. After so many wonderful suggestions and changes, we are confident that we can organize and present the project with more clarity upon relaunching.

We visited our manufacturer this past week to see what would be possible. In doing so, we figured out a way to extend board compatibility, and have a more flexible color production per set.

We hope to have your support and additional feedback as we move forward.

We feel that it would be beneficial for the project to have the community share directly with us via our Slack channel at http://bit.ly/tvkslack, Instagram @thevankeyboards, or as always at support@thevankeyboards.com.

Thank you so much for all of your support! Everyone who has put in anything, we are super grateful to have you supporting us. We will re-launch with more support, and with a clearer description with the feedback and suggestions from everyone who has contributed their voice and been involved.

We thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Lets change the way we type, and shape the future of keycaps together.

I will be closing the gh discussion thread. If you have more feedback or ideas hit us up on our community slack channel.

http://bit.ly/tvkslack

-TheVan Keyboards

You guys have a bright future with this, and glad to see you both turn around and take it positively as constructive criticism. Looking forward to what you guys come up with

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #370 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 12:01:04 »

Keeping the discussion less public by making people jump through the hoop of joining a slack channel might be counterproductive to planning and gathering feedback.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 12:14:36 »
Better luck next time!

I personally think partnering with some really great keyset creators such as Jessica, chaps behind Hyperfuse, Matt3o, thesiscamper, and Samwisekoi will bring in a lot of experience on those colorways and make it more exciting.

Hopefully those costs can come down too, that's probably the main reason it failed imo.

:thumb:

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 14:04:34 »

Keeping the discussion less public by making people jump through the hoop of joining a slack channel might be counterproductive to planning and gathering feedback.
I agree. I have no idea what Slack even is, let alone an account for it. r/TheVanKeyboards seems like a better option.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 14:18:58 »
Better luck next time!

I personally think partnering with some really great keyset creators such as Jessica, chaps behind Hyperfuse, Matt3o, thesiscamper, and Samwisekoi will bring in a lot of experience on those colorways and make it more exciting.

Hopefully those costs can come down too, that's probably the main reason it failed imo.

Personally, I wouldn't qualify this as a failure.  It was too early in the campaign to call it that.  But, they might have made their goal, and still not had the community's support.  It takes considerable bravery to retrench even when failure isn't certain, but I think it was the right choice to make.  :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 14:21:31 »
Better luck next time!

Personally, I wouldn't qualify this as a failure.  It was too early in the campaign to call it that.  But, they might have made their goal, and still not had the community's support.  It takes considerable bravery to retrench even when failure isn't certain, but I think it was the right choice to make.  :thumb:

Well I only went by definition :))

Yes, definitely the right choice.

It would be great to see attempt #2 work.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #375 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 14:40:24 »
Thread locked upon request since GB isn't live anymore  :)
Very busy with studies atm.