Author Topic: [IC] Iconic  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Persephone

[IC] Iconic
« on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 19:37:41 »
Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster, figured I would try my hand at the keycap design thing.
Allow me to present Iconic.
This motivation for this set was to replace many of the common keys with blacked out "icons" on a super vibrant background.

It's my first time at this, so please shout if I've missed anything.

Haven't added any exotic kits; what kits would you like to see?

Planned Kits:
  • Alphas
    • Green
    • Blue
    • Pink (if there's demand)
  • TKL Mods
    • Green
    • Blue
  • Numpad
    • Green
    • Blue

Colours:

Blue: Pantone 2717
Pink: Pantone Pastel Voilet 0631
Green: Pantone 351
Grey: Pantone 446 (A neutral grey)

Profile:
My preference would be DSA or GMK (Cherry).

Plans
  • Proper Vector Legends
  • Fix Shift to be different to Ctrl
  • Figure out kits

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 April 2018, 01:00:19 by Persephone »

Offline Persephone

Re: [IC] Iconic
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 19:41:19 »
RESERVED

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 21:20:41 »
i like the colors, but i think some of the icon mods have too much going on

tab and lock are pretty wild, and control and shift shouldn't be the same IMO

lots of potential here though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Persephone

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 22:09:34 »

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm. You're right about Ctrl/Shift. I'll change one of them. Out of shift and ctrl, which do you think the chevron is the "correct" icon for?
Regarding the locks and tab, they are a bit busier. I've recently gotten some proper design software, so I'm slowly replacing the icons with proper vectors. Should have some new images some time tomorrow.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 22:45:06 »
I like where this is headed. I suppose HHKB, WKL, and 1800 are good places to start for compatibility.

Somehow I feel like this would be a good "affordable" set. I can't imagine paying over $100 for it, but it's fun and interesting. I also like the idea of having two color schemes that you can mix and match. Maybe it'd be a good candidate for some dye sub vendor? Not sure who that would be, though.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 22:47:30 »

Thanks for the reply.
Hmm. You're right about Ctrl/Shift. I'll change one of them. Out of shift and ctrl, which do you think the chevron is the "correct" icon for?
Regarding the locks and tab, they are a bit busier. I've recently gotten some proper design software, so I'm slowly replacing the icons with proper vectors. Should have some new images some time tomorrow.

control is the right one, shift should be slightly different
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Persephone

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 22:55:44 »
I like where this is headed. I suppose HHKB, WKL, and 1800 are good places to start for compatibility.

Somehow I feel like this would be a good "affordable" set. I can't imagine paying over $100 for it, but it's fun and interesting. I also like the idea of having two color schemes that you can mix and match. Maybe it'd be a good candidate for some dye sub vendor? Not sure who that would be, though.

Now I may be talking out my untrained ass here, but I thought dye-sub was frowned upon because it wore off with use?
I would personally prefer double-shot for that exact reason. I will request quotes for both one I have the sets finalised, and we'll see what's more bearable for the community. Speaking of though, what are the good dye sub vendors? I recall GMK having the equipment to do it, but I dunno how their dye sub is.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 23:28:58 »

Now I may be talking out my untrained ass here, but I thought dye-sub was frowned upon because it wore off with use?
I would personally prefer double-shot for that exact reason. I will request quotes for both one I have the sets finalised, and we'll see what's more bearable for the community. Speaking of though, what are the good dye sub vendors? I recall GMK having the equipment to do it, but I dunno how their dye sub is.

Dyesub is good, lasts a while (decade+ of heavy use before it even begins to fade). You're thinking of pad printing.

Offline Persephone

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 23:44:38 »

Dyesub is good, lasts a while (decade+ of heavy use before it even begins to fade). You're thinking of pad printing.

I went on a wiki dive and yeah, that's what I found too. Well in that case, I'm perfectly happy with dye sub if that's what the community wants. I'll keep all options open for now as getting quotes isn't too high effort.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 23:46:51 »

I went on a wiki dive and yeah, that's what I found too. Well in that case, I'm perfectly happy with dye sub if that's what the community wants. I'll keep all options open for now as getting quotes isn't too high effort.

it's probably a little cheaper than doubleshot, but both dyesub and doubleshot are good

up to you