Author Topic: I created a discord server to centralize discussion of creating a new forum  (Read 5237 times)

Offline spacewolf

https://discord.gg/7UhAAGM

I dont expect this to happen, but if it does, it'd be nice if everyone could be on the same page.

This is a discussion server to see if we should build a new forum to replace geekhack and to centralize all interested parties so we can build a good replacement.

I would love to take part in this but do not want to be solely responsible. Nor do I feel like I've been in the community long enough. So i'm looking forward to more discussion on the topic.

Ideally I think it should be patreon funded. And it would be nice if it enabled better Group Buy or IC tracking.

More Importantly I would love to collect all interested parties in building a new forum to be collected in one spot as well. I cant search out all the posts on my own.

Offline dimo

Are we not going to wait until we see what MD does further? It’s been less than 12 hours since the announcement.

Offline spacewolf

Are we not going to wait until we see what MD does further? It’s been less than 12 hours since the announcement.

I personally don't have the highest opinion of MD. And I would love to see a site run without commercial interest in the way. That's just me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
this is an overreaction and i suspect this topic may be removed

it's too early to know if jumping ship is the right call

all signs point to MD wanting to sustain the status quo
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dimo

I personally don't have the highest opinion of MD. And I would love to see a site run without commercial interest in the way. That's just me.

best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline spacewolf

i suspect this topic may be removed

If it's removed that's even more shady honestly. But I agree there will be plenty to see. but I also know it takes time to make something good happen.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
i suspect this topic may be removed

If it's removed that's even more shady honestly. But I agree there will be plenty to see. but I also know it takes time to make something good happen.

mmk

best of luck

if GH dies everyone loses
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Vigrith

What's shady about trying to mitigate a parted exodus within 7 hours of the sale of the website being finalised? I don't think deleting this post is necessary, but I think it would've been better off not existing in the first place even if your intentions are good.

I've personally seen this happen with all sorts of communities over the years, upon some sort of change (usually to do with leadership) people instantly look for a (which ends up being multiple) safe place to migrate to and end up causing way more damage and splitting the community way more than the actual change ever does (or would do).

Not to mention things like this make it seem as though people are trying to take advantage of the situation for their own benefit - eg. look at me I'm so nice I wanna make it so the community has a safe place to go to talk about things now, maybe I'll make my own forum down the line. I'm not saying this is the case here, you have 17 posts and admitted you're new I doubt you have any sort of ill intent or anything to that extent, I'm just stating that it inherently gives off a bad image.

Offline spacewolf

I've personally seen this happen with all sorts of communities over the years, upon some sort of change (usually to do with leadership) people instantly look for a (which ends up being multiple) safe place to migrate to and end up causing way more damage and splitting the community way more than the actual change ever does (or would do).

I've seen this happen too. Which is why I'm specifically trying to consolidate interests into one spot, rather than people starting 5 of them and fracturing everything more.

I dont even care if I'm not involved. I dont care if nothing changes if massdrop lives up to their word. But currently I dont trust Massdrop. So I just want to be ready. And try and help the community move forward if they need to.

I totally agree I've got like nearly zero posts here, and I'm very aware of that. I mostly use reddit. I've got many hundreds of comments there. But we cant actually show that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
@ Ripster , you're registering 1 too many accounts these days..

Hahahahaha..

Offline spacewolf

@ Ripster , you're registering 1 too many accounts these days..

Hahahahaha..

hahaha. i'm sure ripster has more than a few hundred comments on reddit. I'm curious what they think of this. I honestly dont think reddit is a great alternative. which is why I wanna see this go well.

I'm actually urging people not to rush into making a site. Trying to coordinate them all into 1 conversation.

Offline spacewolf

Thanks to whomever moved this to "offtopic" i wasnt sure where to put it at first.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
oh wow, if such an active member is creating a new forum, there must be something about it /s

-
Nothing will change, and just ****ing off before anything has even happenned, it is you who are ruining this community!

Mod edit: removed inappropriate language
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:57:33 by trizkut »

Offline fine_italian_leather

Nothing will change,
Saying this is very naive

Offline rioc

Nothing will change,

well, not in the near future, assuming MD would be dumb enough to do so would be naive... they're business people and understand business and not to upset one of their biggest communities where they get their revenue from

Offline fanpeople

oh wow, if such an active member is creating a new forum, there must be something about it /s

you guys are worse than girls bickering about there favourite telenovela developments during coffee break whilst on the climax of their cycle.
Nothing will change, and just ****ing off before anything has even happenned, it is you who are ruining this community!

Had to google Telenovela..... was not disappointing.

Offline manitoid

you guys are worse than girls bickering about there favourite telenovela developments during coffee break whilst on the climax of their cycle.

Had to google Telenovela..... was not disappointing.

soap opera might be a more familiar term

Offline HotRoderX

I vote we change the name of the forum to a few dramahack. Seriously some people have taken this way overboard. Honestly if you don't like MD you don't like the direction of the forum leave. I mean some people have posted some pretty sold reasons why there unhappy. Why they felt betrayed, I might not agree but totally get it. Then some have just acted out. Then some have just lost there marbles. I mean really how is it shady they might remove a thread like this. Its contributes nothing and try's to fracture a community that is already in a precarious spot. Seriously if you don't like the way things are going just leave. Remember the old adage if you build it they will come. Build a new website and if people give a care they will come otherwise. I mean you have a shiny website that you can post on just make 5-6 accounts post to your self could be fun maybe?

Offline Coreda

This is a legit question: why are there so many users with so few posts and who've only joined recently acting like they have any real investment in this forum?

I've seen new users with as few as 3 posts harping on about iMav and the whole deal and it baffles me where they get this emotion from.

Personally the MD acquisition is far better than it could have turned out in other hands but I'm not going to jump ship just yet as on the surface they seem reasonable. Lurker since like '09-10, joined in '12 fwiw.

Offline rioc

This is a legit question: why are there so many users with so few posts and who've only joined recently acting like they have any real investment in this forum?

I've seen new users with as few as 3 posts harping on about iMav and the whole deal and it baffles me where they get this emotion from.

Personally the MD acquisition is far better than it could have turned out in other hands but I'm not going to jump ship just yet as on the surface they seem reasonable. Lurker since like '09-10, joined in '12 fwiw.
yeah, I don't really get that either, but give the masses a platform (the internet) where they can voice their opinion and you'll hear the voices of all the folk out there, stupid or not

Offline Belfong

I have always been curious about the skills required to set up a forum and Discourse seems to make it super easy, so in parody, I have set up a temporary one just for the heck of toying with Discourse. If anyone is interested to test it out, PM me .. :)

Nothing will change,

well, not in the near future, assuming MD would be dumb enough to do so would be naive... they're business people and understand business and not to upset one of their biggest communities where they get their revenue from

From the announcement it's very clear that there will be changes just not right away. I would expect we'll start seeing stuff before the end of the year.

Offline spacewolf

My personal answer: I am MOSTLY active on reddit. I mostly lurk here. And I also state in my OP that I dont feel comfortable taking the lead on this in part because of how little stake I have in the community at the moment. That said I'm very passionate about our community as I've found it so far and I want to support it.

Also i just noticed my post count is about 5 or 6 lower than it was yesterday... so I'm not sure what happened there.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Nothing will change,

From the announcement it's very clear that there will be changes just not right away. I would expect we'll start seeing stuff before the end of the year.

I assume there will have to be changes/revision to the TOS and such, just as a corporate entity with more liability.  But that's to be expected.  Other than that?  I'm not sure we will see any changes in that timeframe.

Offline spacewolf

Didnt the changes already start:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96463.0

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

I don't think that was MD in all honesty.  None of the mods seemed to like that it just appeared; they just had no sayso in removing it.  But now, they have the power, so removed it.  After all, iMav said that it never generated any revenue.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator

I don't know why you are calling that "the start of the changes", but that's more of an unwanted artifact of some period of time that's now--thankfully--gone.  How you imagine that foreshadows the doom of the website is puzzling.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline schoolbus

spacewolf, the hero we don't need nor deserve.

As everyone's said... it's barely even been a day or two since this all went down (with nothing more than irrational doomsday speculation as to what's going to happen) and last time I checked geekhack wasn't the only forum around for keyboard enthusiasts.

No offense but if you're so much more entrenched in reddit why do you feel compelled to spearhead the effort for a new geekhack?

And I get maybe you don't "trust" Massdrop... but last time I checked they created keyboard designing careers for some of the biggest names in keysets and made this hobby way more accessible to a wider audience.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:31:53 by schoolbus »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

And I get maybe you don't "trust" Massdrop... but last time I checked they created keyboard designing careers for some of the biggest names in keysets and made this hobby way more accessible to a wider audience.

Massdrop is infamous for losing packages, bad QC, randomly cancelling orders, bad support and making up false MSRP-prices.
They've proven with the way they've treated matt3o, Input Club and others that Massdrop cares about money 1st and makers 2nd.

It's definitely true they've done a lot of great things and helped the community grow, but I find them untrustworthy.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
No one likes a quitter!!!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96492.0

OCCUPY HACKGEEK!

Offline schoolbus

Massdrop is infamous for losing packages, bad QC, randomly cancelling orders, bad support and making up false MSRP-prices.
They've proven with the way they've treated matt3o, Input Club and others that Massdrop cares about money 1st and makers 2nd.

It's definitely true they've done a lot of great things and helped the community grow, but I find them untrustworthy.

Lol ok I could point you to quite a few group group buys on this very forum that have done this and worse while also leaving the consumer SOL. So what's your point?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline spacewolf

spacewolf, the hero we don't need nor deserve.

No one is claiming to be a hero or that we need one.

No offense but if you're so much more entrenched in reddit why do you feel compelled to spearhead the effort for a new geekhack?

a you are missing the point of this. I am not trying to create anything new or spearhead anything. I'm trying to keep everyone who wants to create something new in response to this in one place. And I dont care if i'm invovled in the next project personally. But I am providing my input as an experienced website builder and UX developer. And trying to lead them towards a "community first" project that wont run into these issues again in the future.

Just to repeat that for clarity. I am trying to collect all the separate fragmentations that result from massdrop buying geekhack into one location. Because I dont want the community to suffer.

(Also just cause i'm mostly active on reddit doesnt mean I dont read and use the info here and benefit from it. And I'm invested in the community as a whole, and this is a big part of that.)

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 17:42:12 by spacewolf »

Offline HotRoderX

i finally figured out the point of this thread. Its Karma points for OP. Create questionable thread, post about dislike of massdrop. Thread gets closed go to reddit! link thread and how it was closed and how shady massdrop is. Masses of Sheep upvote. Boom insta Karma and front page on Reddit.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
i finally figured out the point of this thread. Its Karma points for OP. Create questionable thread, post about dislike of massdrop. Thread gets closed go to reddit! link thread and how it was closed and how shady massdrop is. Masses of Sheep upvote. Boom insta Karma and front page on Reddit.

@HotRoderX

It's unfair to classify users who pursue digital presence and digital trophies as superficial/shallow.

Some humans such as Tp4 are not born immensely attractive..

And so our digital selves are our only means of social participation and laddering.

It's a valid medium and the rules have evolved properly to accommodate this new facet of society