Author Topic: NIB Dih Shin DS-1000  (Read 9466 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
NIB Dih Shin DS-1000
« on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 00:11:21 »
EDIT (06feb19): I've now realized these boards don't have Cherry MY switches—nor (apparently) do they have Cherry-MX mount version of Futaba clicky switches, either. I guess we won't know for sure till the one I impulsively ordered gets here.

[Original post:]

They're on these Dih Shin Cherry MY boards, the rest of which you'll probably be glad to ignore... But for $30, right?

Dih Shin Industries DS-1000 101 key US Keyboard, NIB

$30 + shipping. 9 avail. at this posting.

Seller says: "They are new old stock keyboards... The caps are double shots and fit a Cherry G80 or G81 perfectly... Please check the photos. The caps lock key and spacebar might not fit your setup. There are no wire stabilizers on this keyboard... I believe these are Signature Plastics DCS caps."
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2019, 06:29:32 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline spamyak

Re: New Cherry-compatible IBM-style DS 101 key sets, $30
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 December 2018, 10:03:26 »
Those don't really look like your typical Cherry MY switches. Honestly, I'm almost curious enough about what they are to order one.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 10:51:18 »
 Is that spacebar going to fit a regular stabilizer?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:13:05 »
Is that spacebar going to fit a regular stabilizer?

I think the listing has more specific details on what would fit what.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 02:05:26 »
Those don't really look like your typical Cherry MY switches...

You're entirely right! Turns out they're the Cherry MX mount version of Futaba MA (clicky) switches. Here's Chyros's review of these switches that he posted about a year ago.

Offline Rayndalf

Re: NIB Dih Shin DS-1000 (Futaba clicky MX-mount switches), $30
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 15:49:30 »
Are you sure those are futaba switches, they were previously listed as rubber dome and don't show the plastic rivets that hold futabas together (they look like they're built into the "plate" like an early Dell Quietkey so maybe they're just obscured entirely by spill protection plate?).

Either way I have a G80-3000 case or 2 that need some caps so I might take the chance and see whats up
I really need to start planning my orders ahead though, because even within state the shipping is steep (their prices are fair because they list actual shipping instead of cheaper shipping and 30% higher prices, but they pack things really well)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 01:02:24 »
I also suspect they are some sort of sliders over domes.  If you look closely at the slider, you'll see there is a gap in the plastic at the bottom of the cruciform.  The photos I can find of the futaba cherry mount don't have that.  They look closer to 2nd gen SMK switches if anything, but that darn flat surrounding area sure smacks of rubber dome.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 20:55:38 »
Ah, maybe you guys are right! I went ahead and ordered one, so I'll let you know for sure as soon as it arrives.

The keys are nice, at least.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 21:08:22 »
Ah, maybe you guys are right! I went ahead and ordered one, so I'll let you know for sure as soon as it arrives.

The keys are nice, at least.

They are, indeed.  Report back when you get it.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: NIB Dih Shin DS-1000 (mystery switches), $30
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 02:23:21 »
Okay.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 21:43:28 »
Each slider has its own spring over a membrane sheet. Doesn't feel terrible, but it is a bit weird. The case is solid and the DCS caps are pristine and mostly cherry compatible, but the capslock stem is offset (neither centered, nor offset like OG Cherry)
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 February 2019, 21:48:44 by Rayndalf »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 22:05:23 »
The caps are really nice but I don’t think you’ll ever get a great solution for the space bar, would you? Aren’t those stabilizer positions non-standard?  They look closer in than normal.  I don’t suppose they line up with a 6.25u wire?

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 22:50:22 »
I didn't think to check the spacebar, I doesn't look like 6.25 spacing. I'm sure I could glue some extra stems to it, but signature plastic sells DCS spacebars for $6, so I might pick up a spacebar and a capslock key and call it a day

Also I was the guy that bought the purple keyed 1800

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 23:22:28 »
I didn't think to check the spacebar, I doesn't look like 6.25 spacing. I'm sure I could glue some extra stems to it, but signature plastic sells DCS spacebars for $6, so I might pick up a spacebar and a capslock key and call it a day

Also I was the guy that bought the purple keyed 1800
sweet 1800, dude

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 00:08:50 »
I really ought to stop, I already had solid Compaq branded 1800 with a TKC PCB, but the moment I saw the price (same price I paid for the somewhat used Compaq board) I had to have it (the odd legend keys are either pad printed or dyesubbed on PBT(?), they're slightly smaller than the ABS ones)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 23:45:29 »
Each slider has its own spring over a membrane sheet. Doesn't feel terrible, but it is a bit weird. The case is solid and the DCS caps are pristine and mostly cherry compatible, but the capslock stem is offset (neither centered, nor offset like OG Cherry)

Yes, mine's arrived too, and I'm sorry to confirm it's nothing special. I would've preferred even rubber domes over this spring-'n'-membrane setup. Even domes provide a certain tactile feedback; but here, there's nothing at all—it makes me wonder why they went to all the trouble.

Also, curiously, my keys aren't double-shot, but dye-subbed:

213877-0

I certainly don't blame Cindy... The model number's the same, and she deals with way too many items to check something like this. But I do think I'll ask to return it, as the board itself is of little interest.

And again, I'm sorry if I steered anyone wrong by thinking these were Futaba Clickies, which they closely resembled. We learn as we go!

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 18:21:04 »

Yes, mine's arrived too, and I'm sorry to confirm it's nothing special. I would've preferred even rubber domes over this spring-'n'-membrane setup. Even domes provide a certain tactile feedback; but here, there's nothing at all—it makes me wonder why they went to all the trouble.

Also, curiously, my keys aren't double-shot, but dye-subbed:

(Attachment Link)

I certainly don't blame Cindy... The model number's the same, and she deals with way too many items to check something like this. But I do think I'll ask to return it, as the board itself is of little interest.

And again, I'm sorry if I steered anyone wrong by thinking these were Futaba Clickies, which they closely resembled. We learn as we go!
Dyesubbed or pad printed? If its actually dyesubbed DCS that's actually pretty neat. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'd buy the caps or the whole board if thats easier than trying to return it

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 21:08:55 »
Dyesubbed or pad printed? If its actually dyesubbed DCS that's actually pretty neat. I'm not sure where you're located, but I'd buy the caps or the whole board if thats easier than trying to return it

Dye-subbed for sure. It'd be pretty lame to go right from DS to pad printing (though I'm sure someone did that, sometime, somewhere).

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 01:33:42 »
It seems like the few companies that had stayed mechanical made the switch to rubberdomes for windows 95 and the windows key, so some might have jumped from making nonstandard or antiquated layouts (where mechanical switches supported the various layouts and quality keycap tooling already existed so it stayed in service) to something completely... 'modern'.

The fact that a technique used by some as cost saving measure (dye sub caps on the 'cheaper' G81 series) also happened to be as good or better than what it replaced is a miracle. The Cherry lasered PBT that followed is decent, but infilled POM is a dirt magnet

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 07:04:07 »
I just wanted to mention that Cindy at Electronics Plus gave me a refund for my board, which I'll return to her at the first opportunity (meaning, when I can get back over the border). She's great to deal with, and this is the first time I've had a problem. It's always fun checking out their site to see what may have come in.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 08:35:57 »
I just wanted to mention that Cindy at Electronics Plus gave me a refund for my board, which I'll return to her at the first opportunity (meaning, when I can get back over the border). She's great to deal with, and this is the first time I've had a problem. It's always fun checking out their site to see what may have come in.

Nice customer service. 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 02:51:21 »

Nice customer service.

She's always been close to the MK community, and is a regular at Deskthority. She's not your average recycler!