Author Topic: Reasonably priced TKL  (Read 1690 times)

Offline rickwest

Reasonably priced TKL
« on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 12:33:58 »
Hey guys, just looking for suggestions on a reasonably priced TKL board? For work/coding so not bothered about anything fancy or highly customizable, just a nice solid board. Any suggestions?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Reasonably priced TKL
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 12:43:58 »
Leopold/Varmilo
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Altis

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 January 2019, 15:44:51 »
Mechanical Keyboards has the Ducky One TKL for $85 with Cherry MX switches.

The KUL ES-87 is a great inexpensive board too but doesn't seem to be available these days.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline barrel

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 08:00:38 »

The KUL ES-87 is a great inexpensive board too but doesn't seem to be available these days.

Basically my best recommendation for reasonably priced, or a KBParadise V80 With whatever switches you happen to want.

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 08:06:02 »
If you want a high quality build I also recommend Leopold/Varmilo. Got a Leopold 750R for around $120, and I'm very satisfied with the quality.
If you want something cheaper, you could try the XD87, but it's a kit. Perfect if you like to solder :)

https://kprepublic.com/products/xd87-xd87-xd80-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit80-supports-tkg-tools-support-underglow-rgb-pcb-programmed-gh80-kle

Offline tradercreep

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 January 2019, 08:12:53 »
I used filco for coding at my workplace. Go for silent red switch if you need to be quiet.
Or leopold/varmillo as other recommend

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 16:29:37 »
what's the going rate for a reasonable custom tkl

i want a custom tkl
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 January 2019, 18:15:10 »

i want a custom tkl

All depends from what maker. I have seen custom tkl's going from 350 dollar to - 5k after market.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 21:58:57 »

I agree—it's what I was going to suggest.

You didn't say what you considered "reasonable", but let's say below $100. Ducky is a major, well respected, long-term MK player. Sure, you could spend $20–30 less and get an off-brand MK, even one with the same switches—but it probably won't have a Ducky's solid build or dependability.

(You can pay more than that, too—but fashionable logos aside, the differences between Ducky and brands like Varmilo and Leopold are negligible.)

The guys at MechanicalKeyboards.com are great. They're always glad to answer any question or solve any problem (though it's unlikely you'll have problems with the keebs they carry). They also offer a good choice of switches on most of the Duckys they sell.

If you're like most of us, the main reasons you want an MK are:
  • Even, consistent feel
  • Solid build (lack of movement)
  • Durability
In other words, a board that feels and performs the same way for a long time. So considering how long you'll use it—and spreading out the initial cost over that period (something called "amortization"), you may as well spend a bit more and get one you'll enjoy the most.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 22:17:03 »

i want a custom tkl

kbdfans 8x is readily available, decent quality, and about $220
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Gepriester

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 22 January 2019, 10:00:12 »
If you have a chance to get your hands on a Ducky Shine 3 TKL, take it. Second hand Shine 3s usually go for a cheap price like 40-60$ and they're really worth it. The quality is really close to the much more expensive filcos and leopolds. The lighting is something I'm not really into but might be a plus for others.
The design of the Shine 3's case is much more elegant in comparism to the newer Ducky models imo.