Author Topic: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - Delivering to US customers  (Read 153487 times)

Offline perihelion86

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - April 2020 - CLOSED
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 08:34:45 »
Are deskmats available anywhere other than mkultra?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 08:48:54 »
Desk pads are no longer available for the GB but there will be extras!

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 13:37:36 »

Have you seen the post in Kat refined about massive issues with Kat production? Any thoughts on that for this set?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:44:26 »

Have you seen the post in Kat refined about massive issues with Kat production? Any thoughts on that for this set?

Massive is a bit of an exaggeration - yes, there appear to be some issues, as there are bound to be with a very new profile. Remember Space Cadet is not set to ship until December and that is a lot of time for keyreative to assess, and implement changes to their production. We will see many additional sets shipped before ours so we can continue to monitor the quality situation. You can be confident that Alas, MKUltra and I will strive to deliver the best quality product we (and keyreative) can.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:56:50 »

Massive is a bit of an exaggeration - yes, there appear to be some issues, as there are bound to be with a very new profile. Remember Space Cadet is not set to ship until December and that is a lot of time for keyreative to assess, and implement changes to their production. We will see many additional sets shipped before ours so we can continue to monitor the quality situation. You can be confident that Alas, MKUltra and I will strive to deliver the best quality product we (and keyreative) can.

Great to hear! I fully expect there to always be growing pains (like MT3 went through) so I won't hold it crazy standards like I would gmk (especially because the pricing here makes it much easier to understand). Fingers crossed on my Atlantis kits which will run before the cadet.

Offline villagepillage

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 01:07:54 »
These look amazing, kinda wish I got in on the GB. They look especially nice paired with spacecables

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 04:09:29 »
I couldn't find this anywhere--what is the colour code for the yellow accents?  I need to coordinate!

Offline umberts

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 05:51:41 »
I couldn't find this anywhere--what is the colour code for the yellow accents?  I need to coordinate!

In the IC thread we had a poll for colors and we voted to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard, so I guess also the yellow accent kit is colormatched with the Symbiosis. In that case, this is the legend from the r2.

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 17:47:12 »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline lz2019

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:28:29 »

In the IC thread we had a poll for colors and we voted to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard, so I guess also the yellow accent kit is colormatched with the Symbiosis. In that case, this is the legend from the r2.

Show Image

wait, what? "to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard" ??
but this GB thread started with the saying "The KAT Space Cadet colors will be color matched to an original Space Cadet keyboard", right under Details. 

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:37:51 by lz2019 »

Offline umberts

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 02:03:52 »

Show Image

wait, what? "to be colormatched with the SA Symbiosis kit and not with the original Space Cadet keyboard" ??
but this GB thread started with the saying "The KAT Space Cadet colors will be color matched to an original Space Cadet keyboard", right under Details. 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103480.msg2845390#msg2845390
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103480.msg2845596#msg2845596

I don't think he ever acquired the OG board, but I'd say that we can trust SA Symbiosis matched (or at least REALLY close) the color, so I wouldn't worry at all. Just my 2 cents

Offline jfaulken

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 17:40:21 »
I have a Hyper 7 R2 and completely missed out on this GB! Any chance of extras on the H7 kit? I hesitate to say I'll pay anything, but I'll kinda pay anything. :)
SIIG Mechanical
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blues
Poker MX Brown (not here yet FFFFUUUU)
Leopold FC200R Cherry MX Browns (not here yet either)

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 17:43:45 »
I have a Hyper 7 R2 and completely missed out on this GB! Any chance of extras on the H7 kit? I hesitate to say I'll pay anything, but I'll kinda pay anything. :)

There will be extras!

We just heard that they are working on producing a set of samples for us so keep your eyes peeled for those soon!

Offline jfaulken

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 17:45:10 »
That's awesome news, thanks!!
SIIG Mechanical
Filco Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blues
Poker MX Brown (not here yet FFFFUUUU)
Leopold FC200R Cherry MX Browns (not here yet either)

Offline umberts

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 05:20:29 »
Any news regarding the GB status will be sent here? First GB for me, not entirely sure how it works around here. (:

Offline harlekein

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 07:04:29 »
Any news regarding the GB status will be sent here? First GB for me, not entirely sure how it works around here. (:

Welcome to the world of GB's. Here's how it works: You join, then you look at all the other sets produced by the same manufacter and see them being delayed, so you let go of any expectations or timelines. Then you hear it starts shipping, but your proxy is the last to ship, so you are waiting an additional couple of weeks or months.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #166 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:23:18 »
roughly 8 more sets to ship so we're looking at next year but It'll be worth the wait.

Offline gnho

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:24:29 »
roughly 8 more sets to ship so we're looking at next year but It'll be worth the wait.
From the fall to next year? That's a huge difference!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 18:29:10 »
Hey everyone sorry its been so quiet so far!!!

We finally heard from keyreative...

Essentially they needed a special base color for our set which was only just delivered so they are currently dye subbing for samples. Because of the delay, some other sets have jumped ahead of us in color matching stage so we're a bit behind. 

To be clear based on the timeline, we're about 3 weeks late for samples compared to Atlantis, which given the situation (covid) by itself is not terrible, then when you consider the extra time for the special color things kind of line up.

We'll try to stay in touch but things are moving along albeit a bit slower than we'd have hoped!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:23:37 »
Honestly, that is great news all things considered! Thanks for the update!

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 19:30:25 »
From the fall to next year? That's a huge difference!

Inaccurate timelines are all part of the fun.

I've had one GB arrive early. ever. Beautiful board. Massive brass weight. Didn't even keep it.

Maybe this will be a nice Lunar New Year gift to yourself.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 11:24:15 »
Samples are on their way to MKUltra and then Alas and myself.  :eek:  :thumb:

Offline tominabox1

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - April 2020 - CLOSED Color Matching
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 19:43:11 »
We've received our first round of samples

They are a fair bit off from our expectation and we've already sent feedback back to keyreative for another go at it. By themselves, the colors look really great IMO but we said we'd match Symbiosis so that's what we're doing!

We'll keep you posted when we hear back!

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 22:58:34 »
Show Image

Show Image

They are a fair bit off from our expectation and we've already sent feedback back to keyreative for another go at it. By themselves, the colors look really great IMO but we said we'd match Symbiosis so that's what we're doing!

Great news!

Offline umberts

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 05:12:28 »

Just curious, what's off in your opinion?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:57:46 »

Look at the yellow keys.  The KAT keys are a bit desaturated and lean a bit orange.

The grey keys are a little darker than the source samples, and the grey seems a teensy bit bluer.

The blue keys seem to be well within margin of error, IMO.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 08:59:41 »

Nopun kind of summed it up well. The blue is a tad lighter but is pretty close indeed.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 14:03:54 »
so sad that I skipped this GB.
Hoping for extras...  :-X

Offline gnho

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 14:49:53 »
Any update?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 21:56:58 »
Any update?

We've been reaching out to our contacts several times a week and not getting any information from Keyreative right now. They have our feedback from the colors so it is a waiting game to see when we will be fit into the queue. We all know we're dealing with an understandably busy manufacturer at this point. I'm not super pleased about the communication but things do seem to be moving behind the scenes. As you've seen with other sets in front of us, we're unlikely to meet a 2020 ship date sadly. I wish I had a more solid timeframe to point you to, but I do not. However, I can share my confidence that our patience will pay off when we get that color match we're looking for and the quality we expect. We have to be grateful for the sets before us in the queue burdening a lot of the load correcting Keyreative's process. I do expect that to really reduce the likelihood of quality issues with Space Cadet.

We'll do our best to keep you posted when we know anything.

Offline gnho

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 00:31:00 »
Thank you for the response! I totally understand that uncertainty is part of the game. I would, however, appreciate some update periodically if it's bad news, as I am not closely following all the KAT sets.

Personally, I joined the GB partially because of the estimated quick turn around but I totally understand that issues occur with a new manufacturer. Is there a discord server where I can get updated more regularly?

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 01:04:13 »
With the current delays and issues with older KAT sets already in production, i'm gonna guess we ain't seeing this until at least Summer 2021.

See everyone next summer!

Offline Pyrotech

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 05:36:41 »
GMK Space Cadet R2 is estimated to ship in June 2021, so I hope we will get the KAT version before that at least :P

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 20:36:41 »
We finally heard back from Alex at Zfrontier - keyreative is having difficulties matching the gray color after our initial responses to color matches. Alex has had them do several additional rounds of gray samples. We have not seen these samples so cannot confirm whether they are better or worse than what we saw in the first round. It sounds like Alex is happy with the  yellow and blue colors and they may be well matched now, but we also have not seen these yet. We have requested these samples so we can examine them ourselves while they continue to work on the gray.

We will not approve production until Alas and I have confirmed the color match in person

We have asked for production estimates explicitly but with the overall production delays on all KAT sets, as well as the matching issues, we don't have any way to predict when the set will ship at this point.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 08 November 2020, 21:14:21 »
Dammit, I hope Keyreative gets their **** together! I’m waiting on many sets including this one from Keyreative!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 14:05:58 »
tiny micro sized not-really update: mkultra has samples en route for the deskpads. first vendor bounced apparently. We have requested the 4 rounds of gray samples Alex at zfrontier told us they have but we have not heard if they are sending them or not.

That's all we have right now. Sorry for not more info.

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 16:21:55 »
can you clarify what you mean by ”first vendor bounced apparently”? much appreciated  :thumb:

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 16:48:08 »
can you clarify what you mean by ”first vendor bounced apparently”? much appreciated  :thumb:

Paid for and never delivered. Working with second manufacturer.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 05:48:50 »
I've missed every single Space Cadet keycap GB so far and I'm so sad. :c
Why didn't I get into the keyboard hobby sooner??

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:18:52 »
I've missed every single Space Cadet keycap GB so far and I'm so sad. :c
Why didn't I get into the keyboard hobby sooner??

No worries. There will be extras of this set once the groupbuy ships :)

Offline hkiri

« Reply #190 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 16:09:11 »
Any updates?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 20:13:46 »
Any updates?

I have received all the samples that Keyreative has done for us so far on Friday, I will be sending to Alas for her review and feedback soon. We're not matched yet.

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 20:53:15 »
Once we are matched, do we move to the back of the production line again or is our slot reserved?

Offline tominabox1

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - April 2020 - CLOSED - Color Matching
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 19:14:31 »
Spoke with mkultra, he's still waiting on samples for the desk mats - the first manufacturer ghosted, so still waiting.

Alas is finishing a move and I am waiting on sending the cap samples to her. I'm not sure where the current production queue puts us with the color matching where it is right now.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #194 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 13:59:45 »
Alas has received the samples and concurred with my and MKUltra's assessments. Where we stand now (blue Q, Gray Q and 5.2, and yellow W are KAT samples against GMK Space Cadet and SA Symbiosis):

Blue is approved as-is. Very good match!
Yellow is very close, slightly more orange but its very subtle and partially due to texture differences IMO.
Gray is furthest off but Alas and I agree that the Gray on the Q here is pleasant and does not have the red cast that the other samples have. It is not a perfect match but it seems to be clear that a perfect match may be beyond Keyreative's capabilities. We Can still reject this match and request additional samples but as you know, we've already slipped past expected dates and the further we delay approval, the further we delay production. We are prepared to accept the color Q but definitely want to make sure you, the buyers, are willing to accept this as well.

As such, please fill out this straw poll so that we may know how you feel. We'll check back in a few days and move from there.

https://www.strawpoll.me/42427729

Thank you all for standing by patiently as Keyreative works through its growing pains. Rest assured, Alas and I are just as eager to get our sets as you are.

Offline hammerbrotha

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet CLOSED Color Matching STRAW POLL
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 21:14:21 »
I.just voted. I know I'm just 1 person in the GB but the grey looks fine to me!  Hope we can move into production soon!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Offline tominabox1

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet CLOSED Color Matching STRAW POLL
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 10:12:27 »
The yeses have it - We're moving ahead with the current samples!

Keyreative has been notified of our decision and will proceed to production with the approved colors. I suspect with this information we'll soon have a better understanding of when we might start shipping to buyers but as of today, I don't have any more information to share on that topic.

Offline dirtegg

Re: [GB] KAT Space Cadet - Color Matching Complete - Awaiting Production
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 21:46:41 »
Very excited! Glad all that's left is to wait for Keyreative (even if it may be a long one).

Offline lasttycoon

• Ergonomic Wizard
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:31:17 »
So ready to get these bad boys on my Novatouch clone. Some serious thock incoming.

Lets get this **** done!
Kinesis Advantage | Ergodox EZ Browns | RK RC930 | DS 3 Blues

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 19:14:00 »
Gub