Author Topic: Xbone Controller - Replacing membrane buttons with switches  (Read 13636 times)

Offline ausernottaken

Xbone Controller - Replacing membrane buttons with switches
« on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:17:38 »
Hi all, I would like to replace the standard membrane switches on the Xbox One controller with tactile switches. I was wondering, first of all, if this is plausible to do. Also, if anyone has any resources that would help me do this, or any specific advice they can provide. I found this thread on doing the same thing with a 360 controller, but a lot of the images are dead. It sounds like he just abraded the contact surface, exposing metal underneath that the switches could be soldered onto directly.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Xbone Controller - Replacing membrane buttons with switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 22:29:38 »
There are lots of places the switches can be soldered to if you follow the traces on the PCB, 

However, there's no way it would FIT in you Hand afterwards.

This is not a very practical mod. ..

Offline ausernottaken

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 23:28:41 »
The switches I'm talking about are small enough that I could literally fit one them inside the smallest button if I bored out the inside. The ones on the controller already that are used for the bumpers are about as thick as the rubber membrane itself.

How is it not practical?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 11:26:19 »
The switches I'm talking about are small enough that I could literally fit one them inside the smallest button if I bored out the inside. The ones on the controller already that are used for the bumpers are about as thick as the rubber membrane itself.

Show Image

How is it not practical?

Those small smd microswitches are not very reliable, because of how little copper they have internally.

Their tactility/feel drops sharply with use.

Typically, if button switches of that type are used in high repetition areas,  an over travel prevention mechanism will be built into the slider. (similar to logitech mice H stem button flaps)

It's the primary reason they still use silicone caps, it's much more durable because the thumb grip is very strong.

Also with low travel such as this, the difference of 0.1mm makes a big difference in feel.

Unless you have a precise milling machine, it's hard to get the buttons to feel even.

Offline ausernottaken

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:44:16 »
Those small smd microswitches are not very reliable, because of how little copper they have internally.

That's disappointing to hear. The silicone membranes are not all that great either. They tend to crack, causing the buttons to not rebound correctly and get stuck in the pressed position. I also don't like how "mushy" they feel. Are there not any higher quality tactile switches that I can buy?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 22:49:57 »

That's disappointing to hear. The silicone membranes are not all that great either. They tend to crack, causing the buttons to not rebound correctly and get stuck in the pressed position. I also don't like how "mushy" they feel. Are there not any higher quality tactile switches that I can buy?

size is the problem.  because the return mechanism has to be small and thin, it can't be too durable, it's especially weak against constant force such as Holding down button A for boost.

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 00:24:14 »
This is very cool, id love to see an update if you finish the project.  :cool: