geekhack Community > Keyboards

Cherry Viola Switches Announced at CES 2020:

(1/6) > >>

jacethesaltsculptor:
https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/10/cherry-goes-downmarket-with-its-new-viola-mechanical-keyboard-switches/

Apparently the current offering that is shown is that the switch is tactile, mum is the word on how many keystrokes it's lifetime is, and just how much they will individually cost.

Interesting design, mx compatible, but with oversized kailh like boxes.

Sup:
I really want to know how it creates tactility and activates, but the post doesn't say much sadly.  :(

But still lol the price range for those switches are in keyboards that costs 50-100$. I rather buy a keyboard with clones then that. Cooler master has Gateron keyboards for 70-80 ish Euro here lol. This switch is gonna fail.

Findecanor:
According to Tom's Hardware it is only available as near-linear, progressive. The force graph posted in their article has a distinct increase in slope after the actuation point. The article also has an exploded render of the switch's parts.

From the render, this looks like a new variant of the mechanism in Cherry MY, which also has a progressive near-linear force graph but much steeper. This should feel closer to a MX Red, while the MY feels like typing on "wet newspaper".
Another difference is that it seems to be made for mounting over a PCB (apparently Viola has a contact that touches the PCB to close the switch whereas Cherry MY has a lever that presses a membrane).

Kamen Rider Blade:
As long as the durability of the switch is >= 25 million, I'm good with the switch quality.

As far as feel, I really do want to try them out =D.

Maledicted:
So Cherry's finally feeling the heat, after all of these years. This is good news even if they end up being terrible switches. It should drive further experimentation/innovation in the market.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version