Author Topic: Would you mind helping out an Idiot? (QMK vs. ISO-DE)  (Read 2842 times)

Offline el_murdoque

Would you mind helping out an Idiot? (QMK vs. ISO-DE)
« on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 04:45:35 »
So I am using a planck-style 48 keys keyboard at present. I like it enough to give that concept a real try.
The only thing that is getting on my nerves at present is programming it. I used ISO-DE keyboards for about 95% of the time in the last thirty years.
I did manage to find workarounds and concepts to accommodate nearly all the keys I need. But here's what grinds my gears: I can't find a way to get certain keys that seem to be specific to the German keyboard. The one I miss most is the key that's left of right shift. On German boards, that's a minus and when shift-pressed it becomes an underscore.

I don't know if I'm following the right path. To program my keyboard, I boot my machine in Windows, visit https://config.qmk.fm/ Import the json file I saved, make the modifications I want to do and download the new layout. Then I disconnect my keyboard and reconnect it, holding down the key that will set it into the qmk mode and then I launch the qmk-toolbox, select my keyboard type and load the new .hex file, then flash the board.

Google searching my problem led me to Github, where the German keycodes are posted(https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/quantum/keymap_extras/keymap_german.h)
but I have no clue in how to get that info from my monitor into my keyboard.
Am I being some special kind of stupid here ? If so, would you care to set my confused self into the right direction?

Offline el_murdoque

Re: Would you mind helping out an Idiot? (QMK vs. ISO-DE)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 05:06:43 »
 Another one:
There is the key that's left of Y, (which sits in the position of the ANSI Z) which is a < that becomes a > when shift pressed and | when R-Alt (Alt Gr) pressed.

Offline el_murdoque

Re: Would you mind helping out an Idiot? (QMK vs. ISO-DE)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:40:43 »
Okay. I admit it. I'm the dense one.

Here's what I had to do:
Check the position of the key on a German keyboard and use whatever lies there in the standard ISO layout.
My machine runs with an ISO-DE configured, so when the keyboard sends the appropriate key signal, the PC will of course interpret it as the key that is in that location on an ISO-DE board.

Minus/underscore is slash. GT/LT/Pipe is called KC_Nubs.

I somehow messed something up while I programmed the German umlauts (äöü) and got stuck.
When I tried again just now, It all worked exactly how one would suspect. I have no clue how I messed that up.