Author Topic: Microsoft is bringing the IntelliMouse Explorer back  (Read 21890 times)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
Microsoft is bringing the IntelliMouse Explorer back
« on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 02:00:40 »
Here's to hoping they offer a beige version. Not going to hold my breath tho.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/17/16488406/microsoft-classic-intellimouse-features
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Microsoft is bringing the IntelliMouse Explorer back
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 02:02:28 »
very nice

we have some old ones at work here but they're pretty crusty. i wonder how much they'll charge for these

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 08:24:16 »
I wish they would bring the Trackball Explorer 1.0 back.  I would hoard the hell out of it.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 08:29:56 »
:eek:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 09:29:25 »
Oh hell yeah. I've been unable to let go of an old Intelli 3.0 from a decade ago. As long as the guts in this don't turn out to be actual ****e, this is great news. Such a fantastic mouse, all around.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 10:41:05 »
I read that it's bluetrack..

So.. I'm bracing myself for disappointment..

HOWEVER,  that is not to say,  Bluetrack can't be tuned to work well like the classic MLT04..

The only caveat is,  there's a reason why infrared is now being used, because it's less common a lightsource to be polluted..

Whereas Blue light is EVERYWHERE

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 12:32:13 »
Are they really making a mouse that is only compatible with windows?

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/microsoft-classic-intellimouse#specsColumns-testCarousel  [at the bottom of the page]

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 12:36:39 »
Hope the click is as quiet as my old one

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline mogo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 12:45:25 »
Are they really making a mouse that is only compatible with windows?

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/microsoft-classic-intellimouse#specsColumns-testCarousel  [at the bottom of the page]

Oh wow. I was thinking "surely this mongoose is wrong, just misunderstanding something about customization software or something" but no, it does look like MS is actually somehow locking out functionality on other OS's which is... impressively petty.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 14:25:33 »
Would rather get my hands on a regular non-Explorer Intellimouse NIB. Did Microsoft slap a new shell on the Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:12:35 »
Interesting but I don't trust them..

Originally, the intellimouse range was impressive, if i remember correctly over time:
- first to have the scrollwheel
- first to have optical tracking, doing away with the rubber ball

It was amazing how more productive you was with scroll wheel, and then without the rubber ball.

It was around the time that Visual Studio with Intelli-features like code completion, and MS Word with auto-features like autocorrect etc.

But now, it is just "shoving familiarity" through people's throats.

Yes, the shape is probably amazing. But for the rest I don't really see what they are improving.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline mogo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:22:01 »
It's not really about drastic improvements, it's that the Intelli 3 was a comfortable and long-lasting mouse that had an exceptionally good optical sensor (my friends in the old competitive quake and CS scenes swore by it). If you're so offended by microsoft selling something with nostalgia, that's fine, you're not totally wrong, but keep in mind that it's only $40.  Hardly a manipulative price, whereas many companies sell nostalgia and strip-mine your wallet in the process. cough nintendo cough

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 16:24:20 »
It's not really about drastic improvements, it's that the Intelli 3 was a comfortable and long-lasting mouse that had an exceptionally good optical sensor (my friends in the old competitive quake and CS scenes swore by it). If you're so offended by microsoft selling something with nostalgia, that's fine, you're not totally wrong, but keep in mind that it's only $40.  Hardly a manipulative price, whereas many companies sell nostalgia and strip-mine your wallet in the process. cough nintendo cough

That's true.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 14:45:50 »
Nice. I was stoked as hell when they brought it back the first time back in '07 (I think?). Ended up buying like 4 of 'em. Definitely gonna nab me a couple of the newest iteration.

Hopefully they fixed the god-awful side buttons and scroll wheel. Oh, and hopefully the Blue Track sensor doesn't make it worthless for gaming.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:29:58 »
Nice. I was stoked as hell when they brought it back the first time back in '07 (I think?). Ended up buying like 4 of 'em. Definitely gonna nab me a couple of the newest iteration.

Hopefully they fixed the god-awful side buttons and scroll wheel. Oh, and hopefully the Blue Track sensor doesn't make it worthless for gaming.

What was wrong with the scroll wheel?

I had an IM 3.0 and the only thing that broke was the cord. It LITERALLY fell off. However, back in the day, MS had warranty... I just got a new one.

Offline Shenpai

• always found
    • padoru
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 22:21:27 »
very nice

we have some old ones at work here but they're pretty crusty. i wonder how much they'll charge for these

Seems like it will be priced at $39.99.
Nunu | KR FC660C

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 20:07:51 »
very nice

Seems like it will be priced at $39.99.

I'm gonna be peeved if we don't get d2f..

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 00:27:20 »
What was wrong with the scroll wheel?

I had an IM 3.0 and the only thing that broke was the cord. It LITERALLY fell off. However, back in the day, MS had warranty... I just got a new one.

The original's wheel was awesome. The '07 reissue's wheel was super loose and janky. The side buttons have always been awful... just super loose and rattly

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 00:43:08 »
Man, there was a time the Intellimouse was the gold standard for optical mice.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 00:50:00 »
Man, there was a time the Intellimouse was the gold standard for optical mice.

As far as I'm concerned, the IE3.0 shape is still unsurpassed (for my hand anyways). The sensor and buttons on the other hand... could probably use an upgrade.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 02:18:08 »
As far as I'm concerned, the IE3.0 shape is still unsurpassed (for my hand anyways). The sensor and buttons on the other hand... could probably use an upgrade.

from what i've read, the sensor might actually be a downgrade.. :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline mogo

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 10:48:38 »

Where did you read that?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 13:52:18 »
Where did you read that?

there are already a few reviews out on sites that had it in stock early. reviews from gamers say it's simply unusable (in games).
the FPS of the sensor is fixed at 3000, which is very low for today's standards. even the original intellimouse had a maximum of 9000.
imo it's obvious that this classic intellimouse is an office mouse, and never intended to be a gaming mouse. not that that's surprising, because the original never intended to be a gaming mouse either.
i guess the "mixup" is that the original one happened to be suited for gaming, and now it's gamers that hope that this classic intellimouse is also a gaming mouse.

there are a few opinions in this thread here, if you're interested: http://www.overclock.net/t/1640202/microsoft-classic-intellimouse-3-200-dpi-2017
a few pictures of the internals can also be found there.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline mogo

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 14:59:15 »
Thanks for the link!

From that thread, I found this link to Microsoft's marketing page for it: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/microsoft-classic-intellimouse#devkit-highlights
Not a lot to go off of here, hard to decipher much useful information past all the marketing.

I've tried digging through the 30+ pages of this thread and have mostly seen everyone speculating and being preemptively disappointed and pissy while not actually knowing anything about it. One user, "Khoonda" reports that the sensor is horrible and spins out easily when playing CSGO. That's one person who has it and is ****ting on it but I'm hoping to see some more people test it out and provide some legitimate analysis, and on some other surfaces. Youtube has nothing useful yet, so I guess I'm gonna keep waiting. Tech bloggers have to be desperate to be the first to properly review it so it's only a matter of time before we see some useful reviews.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 15:26:55 »
i suppose you're right, it's not conclusive yet. i guess at best i can say that i predict that i'm gonna be right about it being an office mouse :P i'm just piecing things together, and so far it doesn't look like a gaming mouse in any way.

just a small warning though, i wouldn't blindly trust tech bloggers on mice if you plan on using it for gaming. it's their job after all, and they are very rarely "serious gamers".
judging mice takes at least some experience, or/and knowledge about them, which most tech reviewers don't have. generally, you're better off trusting reviews from the crowd of fps nerds :P reviews based on 10 minutes of desktop use are not all that helpful, if you catch my drift.

i don't often recommend him, but i think that if the youtuber "Rocket Jump Ninja" will ever review it, you can probably trust his verdict.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 01:57:32 »
imo it's obvious that this classic intellimouse is an office mouse, and never intended to be a gaming mouse. not that that's surprising, because the original never intended to be a gaming mouse either.
i guess the "mixup" is that the original one happened to be suited for gaming, and now it's gamers that hope that this classic intellimouse is also a gaming mouse.

The Intellimouse, maybe. But when they originally re-released the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 about 10 years ago, the marketing campaign was definitely aimed at gamers. They knew then why that mouse was so popular, so it just boggles my mind why they would re-release it yet again, but with a non-gaming sensor. Somebody didn't do their homework at Microsoft.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 02:30:15 »
Guess we'll see how it performs for gaming. Apart from 4K users there seems little reason to have added 3200dpi if not to still target some of the gaming demo. Windows only compatibility is stupid though.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 04:57:33 »
The Intellimouse, maybe. But when they originally re-released the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 about 10 years ago, the marketing campaign was definitely aimed at gamers. They knew then why that mouse was so popular, so it just boggles my mind why they would re-release it yet again, but with a non-gaming sensor. Somebody didn't do their homework at Microsoft.

true, the re-release was. they just got lucky with the original becoming so popular. (fps) gaming was possibly not even a consideration when developing it.

i was also wondering who exactly this was aimed at, probably just anyone who has any feelings of nostalgia for it. and now, before there's no-one left who remembers :P
and i suppose microsoft is deliberately not marketing the Classic as a gaming mouse because they know it isn't suited for it.

edit: i'm thinking the choice was most likely very deliberate. microsoft is not known as a gaming-peripheral company, and the majority of potential customers (gamers) are too young to have any feelings for the intellimouse.
making a gaming mouse nowadays typically means features like rgb, high cpi (good sensor), extra buttons, (software for) customization, etc. the extra development / production cost for a mouse like this probably wouldn't pay off because the cool kids want a disco razer mouse or a minimalistic zowie mouse, and not a mouse from a company that's known for an operating system.

it makes sense that they would keep production cost low and go for an office-tier mouse, leeching off of our nostalgia :D this will most likely make them significantly more money from it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 05:48:27 by Bucake »

Offline mogo

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 08:45:50 »
Are you forgetting that Microsoft has a little bit of experience in the gaming hardware sector? They made that little thing... what was it... the x-boy? Something like that. Microsoft is no longer just Windows, and have not been for a long time. They've made gaming peripherals (Sidewinder joysticks and mice), phone hardware, gaming controller hardware, and more. I'm not going to be so quick to dismiss this.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 09:41:56 »
Love it

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 11:01:43 »
The dumbest thing is..

Microsoft can do NOTHING, no research , NOTHING

Just start selling their MLT04 mouse again.. and EVERYONE and their mothers would buy one.. @ $60

They could even just tune it slightly for 9000fps, 3000hz, 1600dpi out of the box..  Slap a G4m3r sticker on there.. and BOOM.. 

///It Prints Money///

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 11:05:38 »
The dumbest thing is..

Just start selling their MLT04 mouse again.. and EVERYONE and their mothers would buy one.. @ $60

They could even just tune it slightly for 9000fps, 3000hz, 1600dpi out of the box..  Slap a G4m3r sticker on there.. and BOOM.. 

///It Prints Money///

I'm sold

Offline supamesican

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:22:55 »
I cant wait. Just got a japanese inteelimouse 3.0 NIB from ebay and love it, old 1.1 mouse got taken by my brother. If this is even half as good im getting one. Oh who am I kidding im ordering one day 1 regardless.

EDIT: wait is it for sale now?
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:30:06 by supamesican »

Offline jackalopephoto

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:45:09 »
Guess we'll see how it performs for gaming. Apart from 4K users there seems little reason to have added 3200dpi if not to still target some of the gaming demo. Windows only compatibility is stupid though.

Pretty sure you can't make a mouse windows only unless you give it some special driver

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 14:03:35 »
I cant wait. Just got a japanese inteelimouse 3.0 NIB from ebay and love it, old 1.1 mouse got taken by my brother. If this is even half as good im getting one. Oh who am I kidding im ordering one day 1 regardless.

EDIT: wait is it for sale now?

japanese ?

does it come with D2F 01F ?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 20:51:41 »
Are you forgetting that Microsoft has a little bit of experience in the gaming hardware sector? They made that little thing... what was it... the x-boy? Something like that. Microsoft is no longer just Windows, and have not been for a long time. They've made gaming peripherals (Sidewinder joysticks and mice), phone hardware, gaming controller hardware, and more. I'm not going to be so quick to dismiss this.

i think you missed what my post implied. it's not about them being incapable of making a gaming mouse, it's about the majority of gamers looking at other brands when they're browsing for a new mouse. microsoft is not the brand that young gamers think of, it's razer, logitech, steelseries, zowie, etc. most people tend to stick to or go for brands they're familiar with. they trust these big, known brands. when it comes to mice specifically, microsoft isn't one.

i mean, how many professional gaming teams are using microsoft mice? microsoft is not "in the game", and it would require significant effort/resources to compete. they can't just make a gaming mouse and expect it to do sell well (without proper marketing), which is why i think they made an office mouse in stead.

microsoft is perfectly capable of making a (killer) gaming mouse, but i don't think the Classic is one. we'll see ;-)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 21:09:07 by Bucake »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 21:49:32 »
The dumbest thing is..

///It Prints Money///

Agreed 100%. I would buy the crap out of the original. As far as I'm concerned, if they fixed the side buttons it'd be a bonus. But I'd shell out for a re-issue no prob

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 21:59:27 »
I read that it's bluetrack..

So.. I'm bracing myself for disappointment..

HOWEVER,  that is not to say,  Bluetrack can't be tuned to work well like the classic MLT04..

Bluetrack is an Office styled sensor designed to work on any surface.  Suddenly they (Redmond) think that it could compete against any 3360 sensor, is like a drug-addled loser thinking he could win in a knife fight with Steven Seagal  8) .

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 22:42:16 »
I bet there will be a base Intellimouse model and a better wireless Explorer model with a better sensor.

Oh it's already in the store
https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/mice/microsoft-classic-intellimouse

Offline Bucake

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 00:54:53 »
Agreed 100%. I would buy the crap out of the original. As far as I'm concerned, if they fixed the side buttons it'd be a bonus. But I'd shell out for a re-issue no prob

i'd think so. the switches are on their own tiny PCB right next to the buttons, as opposed to pressing weirdly long buttons that press switches on the main PCB. the main buttons seem to use spring-tensioning similar to how logitech does it.

to quote the poster of the below picture:
I really wish the sensor wasn't so bad, because the shape, materials, clicks, wheel, Mouse3, side buttons, and cable are great. If it at least had something like a 3310, it'd be my favorite mouse.

edit: source for more pictures of internals.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2017, 01:27:22 by Bucake »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 06:58:33 »
Hang on for a second. What was MS thinking? Let's see...

a) gamers who found the MLT02 historic great, only buy again if the new one also has great sensor

b) the rest of the people wouldn't even recognize an intellimouse coz they don't care (office peoplez)

So... you would think they would relaunch to appeal to category A people, but this only "appeals" to category B people, who are generally indifferent as to peripherals anyway.

So why didn't they put a great sensor in it? If it's for marketing purposes to appeal to the nostalgia of category A...

iLLucionist doesn't understand MS tactics here..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 09:15:19 »
There are non-gamers that care about shape.

My dad, for example, is still using his IMO 1.1.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 09:50:56 »

Get him a vertical mouse, he'll throw that thing out SO FAST..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 11:39:15 »

Been there, done that. Went back to the IMO almost immediately. The only other thing that he's willing to use is a big-ass trackball, but the problem is justifying the price then.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 12:03:28 »

those are awful, easily the least comfortable mice I've used

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 15:36:50 »

Been there, done that. Went back to the IMO almost immediately. The only other thing that he's willing to use is a big-ass trackball, but the problem is justifying the price then.

you gotta get a good one with good tracking..

the cheapo $15-50 ones are not going to be as good as the imo, tracking wise.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 15:48:33 »
I really wish the sensor wasn't so bad, because the shape, materials, clicks, wheel, Mouse3, side buttons, and cable are great. If it at least had something like a 3310, it'd be my favorite mouse.

This is so god damn infuriating. So fkin close, yet so far. All they need to do is put a 3360 in that. That's it! They'd easily sell a metric TON of these things. With a sensor that can compete with the current crop of top-end gaming mice, and the official IE 3.0 shell, it'd dominate. I'd probably buy like 5-10 to keep me stocked for years.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 17:33:51 »

This is so god damn infuriating. So fkin close, yet so far. All they need to do is put a 3360 in that. That's it! They'd easily sell a metric TON of these things. With a sensor that can compete with the current crop of top-end gaming mice, and the official IE 3.0 shell, it'd dominate. I'd probably buy like 5-10 to keep me stocked for years.

Yes, but haven't you learned? These companies are all about the "gross margin". Most pc-world products are crippled in stupid ways because they think they need to warrant a margin, even though making something super awesome (and increasing produce cost slightly) would sell like hotcakes.

Why do Lenovo Thinkpad laptops (some exceptions apply) don't come with good coverage and ips panels? Why hasn't IPS backlight bleeding and ghosting been fixed on most medium-expensive screens from Dell, Asus, etc.

Indeed, if they would do a proper IM3.0 with a proper sensor... I'd probably buy 2 to use and 1 to keep in stock for the future.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 18:41:18 »
Oh nice, my namesake  :-*
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.