Author Topic: ePbt ABS doubleshots?  (Read 10703 times)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
ePbt ABS doubleshots?
« on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 14:34:39 »
I am sure there is already a discussion, I can't find it if so, someone care to link me.

Found these pretty interesting. Love the price.

https://kbdfans.com/collections/enjoypbt-keycaps/doubleshot

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: ePbt ABS doubleshots?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 15:31:45 »
TheKeyCompany has some sets in stock for $79 right now also. They do seem like a pretty good deal for the keys included. My only concern is on the thickness of them as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere & that is something usually advertised unless they are thin. Personally I'm gonna wait till some people get some sets in & we have more info on what the caps are like irl before I buy, but definitely got my interest piqued too. I don't remember seeing a thread directly about these, but search up TKC's most recent threads. I do remember there being some discussion of these cap sets in one of their recent threads.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 16:18:46 »
Seems fine to me

Offline Polymer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 17:12:09 »
Looks like they only have scoops.....

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 17:22:50 »
Seems fine to me

Oh nice, I haven't seen that pic. Yeah looking close to on par with GMK & JTK! Glad to see since we could always use more competition in the custom keycap sets realm!

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 17:24:11 »
Looks like they only have scoops.....

That's a bit of a shame, but something I'll overlook for the value. I prefer bars, but never had much issues with scoops or deep dish homing.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 19:44:07 »
I just think it's unfortunate given the last I don't know how many years, GMK sets have all had bars thanks to enough people complaining about it....

I can use scoops, I don't prefer them....and wouldn't buy a set that only has scoops if that isn't my preference.

That said, it is a good price...

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 20:01:38 »
I just think it's unfortunate given the last I don't know how many years, GMK sets have all had bars thanks to enough people complaining about it....

I can use scoops, I don't prefer them....and wouldn't buy a set that only has scoops if that isn't my preference.

That said, it is a good price...

Fair point & I see where you're coming from. Especially since ePBT has went through this with their regular PBT caps, so it is a head scratching decision. Hopefully they'll add barred caps in the future with feedback from the community.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 14:50:18 »
They're "okay".

The surface finish reminds me of SP DCS/DSA/DSS. Almost like fine grained sandpaper; not unpleasant, but not much like GMK.

The looks are okay, from far away it's mostly like GMK. On closer inspection, you don't have weird kerning issues like JTK. But you do have the same "InSert" problem as JTK. The alpha legends also have inconsistent thickness, notably the "Q". And the modifier font just isn't as nice.

The scoops in the keycaps are also slightly deeper. I confirmed this by measuring with calipers, although I don't remember the numbers offhand.

The keycap walls are thinner, and the sound is more "plinky" and "glassy" than GMK. It reminds me, again, of SP DSA/DCS/DSS.

Overall I'd say these are okay, I guess. I'd rather have JTK, and it's kind of a hard sell when GMK WoB isn't that much more expensive on Drop. And given that they already sound like DCS and have the same surface finish, I might prefer DCS over these, which at least has a somewhat unusual contour.

If you don't mind blanks, the Keyreative ABS blanks are much better quality. Not to mention 1/3 of the price.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 14:25:56 »
They're "okay".

The surface finish reminds me of SP DCS/DSA/DSS. Almost like fine grained sandpaper; not unpleasant, but not much like GMK.

The looks are okay, from far away it's mostly like GMK. On closer inspection, you don't have weird kerning issues like JTK. But you do have the same "InSert" problem as JTK. The alpha legends also have inconsistent thickness, notably the "Q". And the modifier font just isn't as nice.

The scoops in the keycaps are also slightly deeper. I confirmed this by measuring with calipers, although I don't remember the numbers offhand.

The keycap walls are thinner, and the sound is more "plinky" and "glassy" than GMK. It reminds me, again, of SP DSA/DCS/DSS.

Overall I'd say these are okay, I guess. I'd rather have JTK, and it's kind of a hard sell when GMK WoB isn't that much more expensive on Drop. And given that they already sound like DCS and have the same surface finish, I might prefer DCS over these, which at least has a somewhat unusual contour.

If you don't mind blanks, the Keyreative ABS blanks are much better quality. Not to mention 1/3 of the price.
Thanks for the write up, I hate DCS, so that doesn't make them appealing at all for me. But I am cheap, and don't like paying
over $100 for a set of caps. I do have the WoB Drop set for this reason. Hopefully GMK sets continue to drop in price (not likely but oh well.)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 08:48:44 »
For the money, these are a good alternative to GMK. They sort of remind me of less substantial versions of SA double shots. They are not as thick as GMK. In a sound test, they sound higher pitched and cheaper than GMK but still miles better than the thin ABS caps that come on most mainstream keyboards. The most satisfying thing is the legends. Very nice and sharp. They do have a nice texture that is similar to other ePBT caps. Not sure if I would buy again as I prefer GMK. However, for the money, these are certainly good quality.

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:36:37 »
You will notice that KBDFANS also sells Tai Hao. You have many more choices and they are generally "better" keycaps IMO. I am partial however. just because I really like them. even though I have yet to own any.

Offline walie

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:14:42 »
You will notice that KBDFANS also sells Tai Hao. You have many more choices and they are generally "better" keycaps IMO. I am partial however. just because I really like them. even though I have yet to own any.

Your Drop Alt comes with Tai Hao caps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 14:50:46 »
This would be pretty fine considering that GMK is lowering its quality standards, as seen in the icon only modifiers sets in a recent GB.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 08:51:28 »
ePBT does do a decent job considering the price, paid $30 for my set of Sky Dolch (refuse to pay over $200 for a set of caps).  If you want a decent set of caps that don't kill most people's wallet then go w/ ePBT or Tai Hao and in the end will give you the look you want. Now if it wont cripple your budget then go w/ JTK or GMK sets.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 19:47:31 »
ePBT does do a decent job considering the price, paid $30 for my set of Sky Dolch (refuse to pay over $200 for a set of caps).  If you want a decent set of caps that don't kill most people's wallet then go w/ ePBT or Tai Hao and in the end will give you the look you want. Now if it wont cripple your budget then go w/ JTK or GMK sets.

GMK is not even 200 dollars maybe if you buy some additional sets like spacebar,40s etc Not sure what key-caps sets you where looking at. You can get GMK WOB for 110 dollars. I have a teaching cheap buy is a expensive buy since you will probably upgrade in the future anyway so you are better of buying the best one at first. If you dislike the feel of ABS yes Epbt is a good choice.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 20:01:07 »

GMK is not even 200 dollars maybe if you buy some additional sets like spacebar,40s etc Not sure what key-caps sets you where looking at. You can get GMK WOB for 110 dollars. I have a teaching cheap buy is a expensive buy since you will probably upgrade in the future anyway so you are better of buying the best one at first. If you dislike the feel of ABS yes Epbt is a good choice.

I mean technically you are right Sup, GMK base sets are gonna cost you $155 max in GB with most more around $125. Although if you're looking at in stock GMK sets, $180 for base sets seems to be the going rate set by Oco, Drop, & Novelkeys.

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 23:42:40 »
They don't have HHKB backspace which is a shame..

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 09:46:40 »

I mean technically you are right Sup, GMK base sets are gonna cost you $155 max in GB with most more around $125. Although if you're looking at in stock GMK sets, $180 for base sets seems to be the going rate set by Oco, Drop, & Novelkeys.

Every vendor charges extra for in stock sets so long it keeps selling and it does! Since aftermarket they go for way more if there is limited stocks. But yeah so long you can join the 2000 weekly GMK GB's for the average price of 125 dollars i don't think its rightfully to brand GMK sets as a 180+ dollar set.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline powahause

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 23:50:45 »
Just think epbt making abs doubleshots is a funny concept. Isn't their whole thing making pbt? Doesn't matter, is a great price nonetheless.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:06:10 »
Seems fine to me

Looks pretty good, likin that texture.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!