Author Topic: Best mouse sensor? Looking to swap the internals out of my logitech marble trackball  (Read 4016 times)

Offline cirthix

I was looking at the philips twineye (no liftoff issue with a trackball), are there others I should look for?

I will be making my own PCB for it, but I will need documentation on interfacing with the sensor.  in-system programming via some common interface (SPI/I2C/RS232/USB) with free tools is needed, I will not be buying an expensive programmer for this.

The easiset thing to do would be to mod an existing mouse into the trackball, but I wouldn't mind making my own.  

Requirements:
ease of use
inversion of x-axis or y-axis
ability to disable acceleration
no angle-snapping
no prediction
500 or 1000hz refresh
1000+ DPI minimum, higher is nice since you can always adjust it down.
good quality tracking

Thanks,
cirthix
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 June 2011, 13:33:31 by cirthix »

Offline Bilbin

Avago 3080 would probably be best suited to your needs.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline Bullveyr

The easiest way would be using a Deathadder, it would fit your requirement and it's easy to use because of the small 2 part PCB.

If you really wan't to build your own, sensor-wise you don't have to care about polling-rate (has nothing to do with the sensor). Sensors don't offer x/y axis inversion but ofc you can do whatever you wan't with the movement data (delta x/y) from the sensor.

The Avago ADNS-3090 would fit all your requirements but for such a project a lower-end sensor should also do the trick.
A Cypress OvationONS II is probably also a good choice because it's a single chip solution (MCU + Sensor)

In most cases the publically available information is probably not enough so you may have to contact the manufacturers (Avago, PixArt, Philips, Cypress).
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.